Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone with a PhD who's pretty ignorant

someone with a PhD who's pretty ignorant

A philosophy prof at UW-Washington County had an editorial piece published in the West Bend Daily News last Oct. (2010).
    He talked about a 2A meet-n-greet at a coffee shop up there, and then noted that thousands of people go about unarmed (as though that's something to celebrate?).

He points out that people don't have to exercise their right to bear arms, which is true, but why is being defenseless celebrated when people who don't vote, or don't do jury duty, or don't worship, or [insert other right here] are looked down on?

Then he said this:
    We dont even need to defend ourselves against bandits now that we have a police force.
    In fact, it turns out that its a lot safer to let the police handle all of that for us.

How can someone so book-smart be so ignorant???
    Articles from the "no need for a gun?" thread, as well as the TV & paper news should show him that the police rarely prevent crime, and rarely stop crime; they mostly try to catch people who have committed crimes.

I'd rather be the tow-truck driver who recently stopped the attack w/ a gun, then called 911,
    rather than be the tow-truck driver from a year ago who was stabbed to death.

And of course there are court cases to quote, explaining that the police have no duty to protect anyone who's not in custody.

I wonder how 'safe' he'd feel if someone broke into his home in the middle of the night, beat & bound him, & did unprintable things to his wife &/or children while he had to watch?
    Wonder if he'd be wishing someone with a gun was right there to stop it?
    Maybe even wishing he could stop the attack on him & his loved ones?
    A lot safer to rely on police, huh?

His contact info as shown on the university "about him" page:
    (262) 335-5200
    mark.peterson@uwc.edu
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-04-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I've noticed that when people go to college in order to make room for the academic learning common sense seems to get pushed aside to make room. Seems to happen to a large portion of the students, not all but a lot.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Gran-Pappy always referred to them as "educated idiots"....

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by XDFDE45 View Post
    I've noticed that when people go to college in order to make room for the academic learning common sense seems to get pushed aside to make room. Seems to happen to a large portion of the students, not all but a lot.
    Hey now, I have my BS (Bachelor of Science) degree!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by XDFDE45
    Not common knowledge (until now...) but I have 3 degrees. (Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's)
    I also do extremely well on standardized tests.
    There's something up there for my helmet to protect.

I've met, through WI Carry activities, an MD & at least 1 PhD (a nationally-known researcher & one of the few people I find intellectually intimidating! ...who's probably reading this and going "who, me?").
    There are probably more people around here with degrees who don't mention them. Usually it's not relevant to the discussion.
    (And there's one rather active WCI member whom I was suprised to learn does not have even one college degree. You know who you are.)

It doesn't matter to me whether someone barely got a GED or has multiple doctorates (other than maybe tailoring language usage) - we all seem to be able to agree that carrying a pistol for personal protection is both a right & a responsibility.

I just found it amazing that with so much ability to learn, & research, & look at facts, this guy chooses to be ignorant of reality. (Of course, he teaches philosophy, which is more thinking than fact-based.)
    Maybe by being shown a bunch of facts that contradict his world view he'll change his view.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I just found it amazing that with so much ability to learn, & research, & look at facts, this guy chooses to be ignorant of reality. (Of course, he teaches philosophy, which is more feeling than fact-based.)
    Maybe by being shown a bunch of facts that contradict his world view he'll change his view.
    Fixed

One can hope that facts can change opinions.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Cognitive dissonance often leads to refutation or manipulation of the facts to meet the world view, rather than a change in world view to incorporate the dissonant facts. I would imagine philosophy professors are very practiced at refuting and manipulating facts to match a world view . . .
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

someone with a PhD who's pretty ignorant

PhD = Piled higher and Deeper?
    "Those who would gve up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by pahleh View Post
    PhD = Piled higher and Deeper?
    Post Hole Digger

Because there's a Fire Dept, you shouldn't have an extinguisher.....
    Since there's AAA, you shouldn't have a spare tire in your trunk....
    Large airlines mean that there should not be small, private planes....
    The existence of oceans means no one needs swimming pools....
    Pay phones negate cell phones....
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I did say a large portion, not all
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

A philosophy prof at UW-Washington County had an editorial piece published in the West Bend Daily News last Oct. (2010).
    He talked about a 2A meet-n-greet at a coffee shop up there, and then noted that thousands of people go about unarmed (as though that's something to celebrate?).

He points out that people don't have to exercise their right to bear arms, which is true, but why is being defenseless celebrated when people who don't vote, or don't do jury duty, or don't worship, or [insert other right here] are looked down on?

Then he said this:

Articles from the "no need for a gun?" thread, as well as the TV & paper news should show him that the police rarely prevent crime, and rarely stop crime; they mostly try to catch people who have committed crimes.

I'd rather be the tow-truck driver who recently stopped the attack w/ a gun, then called 911,

And of course there are court cases to quote, explaining that the police have no duty to protect anyone who's not in custody.

I wonder how 'safe' he'd feel if someone broke into his home in the middle of the night, beat & bound him, & did unprintable things to his wife &/or children while he had to watch?

(262) 335-5200
    mark.peterson@uwc.edu
    Years ago I worked for this very intelligent man. He said there are the people doing the job at hand, and there are the people with the PHD teaching the job. However: The people with the PHD teaching the job, know how to do what they teach, just lack the skills to do it if handed the tools. On ther other hand the people doing the job should be the teachers, but do not have the time to teach, because they are too busy doing the job!

I am not cutting on our teachers please do not take it this way. We have good and bad in every field.
    Sometimes someone can be just so smart they are stupid!!!
    The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
    The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose!

And I'll bet the bonehead has locks on his home and car. But I don't know why.... we have a police force!
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    All jokes aside. IMHO it does not accomplish any good for us to castigate the benefits of a good education. It has been said before that it is not what you know, but how you use what you know.

Many of our number which includes the owners of this site as well as such notables as John Lott, the attorneys for Heller etc, etc, etc. have been college educated. So too patriots and thinkers like Thomas Jefferson were.

At the risk of offending, though that is not my intent, knocking education is stupid. It is also group bashing.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Then he said this:

(262) 335-5200
    mark.peterson@uwc.edu
    He has a point. The police will defend us. It would be helpful if we were hearded into barbed wire enclosed "safe" camps first, though...and we'd have no need of guns in there. Oh, and he doesn't have to exercise his right to free speech, either.

You will find a majority of Phd's in Academia are really IGNORANT and STUPID (defined as a REFUSAL to learn rather than an inability) outside their own little specialty. Though many years ago I had an Econ Prof(Head of the Department) who was much the opposite. He liked to go hunting. We got along just fine.

Then there is my cousin the Phd. I have hunted with him off and on for 45 years. There are a few good ones out there. They are just very hard to find.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

(And there's one rather active WCI member whom I was suprised to learn does not have even one college degree. You know who you are.)
    I work in a professional field where the practitioners run the gamut from not even a GED to Multiple PHD's and have met many like you described. My father was one.
    He got his GED while in the Army in the late 40's. A little over ten years later, with out any more formal education, He tested at the equivalent of an AS degree. When I was in my early teens he taught himself Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry. Having delved quite a lot into all three, I know that is a quite impressive accomplishment.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    All jokes aside. IMHO it does not accomplish any good for us to castigate the benefits of a good education. It has been said before that it is not what you know, but how you use what you know.

Many of our number which includes the owners of this site as well as such notables as John Lott, the attorneys for Heller etc, etc, etc. have been college educated. So too patriots and thinkers like Thomas Jefferson were.

At the risk of offending, though that is not my intent, knocking education is stupid. It is also group bashing.
    I don't think he was knocking education. I think he was knocking being educated and still being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by PavePusher View Post
    I don't think he was knocking education. I think he was knocking being educated and still being stupid.
    I didn't miss it. That is why I said, "It is not what you know, but how you use what you know."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Yep! BS...we all know what that stands for!

MS = More of the Same

PhD = Piled higher and Deeper

MD = Much Deeper

Hmmm...guess I'm pretty much buried!

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP I just found it amazing that with so much ability to learn, & research, & look at facts, this guy chooses to be ignorant of reality. (Of course, he teaches philosophy, which is more thinking than fact-based.)
    Not so hard to understand. He finds "data" easier to face than reality. Thus the term "ivory tower."

Statistics, printed concepts, and written facts don't jump up off the page and stick a gun in your face. Much easier to contemplate those.

"Just remember that every day you’re able to eat a cheeseburger without reaching for your Ruger LCP or Glock 19, you’re part of a much larger, much quieter demonstration: a daily celebration of nationhood where you have a right to bear arms, but don’t need to. "

http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com...sh-skin-custom

The author has a Ph.D, meaning, he has a Doctorate of Philosophy. I agree with the above quote. We don't need to carry. We either choose to carry, or choose to not carry, because we can.

"The right to 'bare' arms

Even better: We don’t have to exercise 2nd Amendment right"

He acknowledges that 'we' have a right to 'bare' arms. I agree, we don't have to exercise 2nd Amendment 'rights'. There is no Constitutional requirement that we have to. He is not stating that we shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms.

I am not sure what about his writing makes him 'ignorant'? I am sure someone on this page can point out what makes the man 'ignorant'.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 05-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Meh, he has the right to his opinion. I'm not sure why so many think it is acceptable to think being educated is somehow a crutch to common sense. The very term common sense is crap anyway. People have varying opinions. I think this guy is just misinformed or hasn't thought the position to it's logical conclusion. Although, philosophy is very good at asking questions and not so good at providing answers so that could a big part of the formation of his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Meh, he has the right to his opinion. I'm not sure why so many think it is acceptable to think being educated is somehow a crutch to common sense. The very term common sense is crap anyway. People have varying opinions. I think this guy is just misinformed or hasn't thought the position to it's logical conclusion. Although, philosophy is very good at asking questions and not so good at providing answers so that could a big part of the formation of his opinion.

It seems many think their view of life is correct and therefore "common". Any deviation from it can then be safely labeled as not following common sense. There are plenty who will tell you that it is only common sense to hide your firearm from sight, so as to retain a tactical advantage. Why would anyone do otherwise? It's just not common sense.

The older I get the more I realize that when someone says " that person showed no common sense" what they really mean is " that person is not doing what I believe is the correct thing to do in that situation". It also allows the person saying it to take an assumed superior position.

The same goes for the "assume" argument. Many upon hearing the word, will response with the popular, "makes an a** out of U and ME remark. The only problem is that everyone makes many assumptions everyday. An example. Just because that person has their blinker on doesn't mean they will turn and it's OK to pull on out, but because you sense a decrease in speed you assume they will and pull on out.

Nowadays, there are many who, if you even use the word "assume" will counter with the "makes an a** out of U and ME to somehow imply your assumption false and unworthy of consideration. They don't offer evidence to dispute your augment, instead they simply try to discredit it by making it appear foolish.

This PhD is no different, he believes that his view is right and any who may have a different view are wrong. They obviously don't have the same education and insights as he does and therefore are not making an informed and intelligent judgment. Of course I am only assuming this, but come on it's only common sense

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Of course I am only assuming this, but come on it's only common sense
    I purport to take a position predisposed to preferring presuming, proselytizing the perceptual penalties of assuming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast