• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Friction Grows Between Lawmakers and DOJ Over 'Project Gunrunner' Probe"

TFred

Latest developments here. Holder needs to find a new job.

"The notion that somehow or another that this Justice Department is responsible for those deaths, that assertion is offensive," Holder said, referring to the death of American Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

No, Mr. Holder, the fact that your Justice Department is partly responsible for those deaths is the offensive part.

I'm really not sure how an honest person can see it any other way.

TFred

Last edited:

zack991

I pray we see jail time from ATF and Higher Ups but yet again I am just dreaming Federal Agents are never responsible for their actions especially the ATF.

Dave Workman

You can say that again!

BREAKING: CBS News obtains document linking asst. AG to ‘Gunrunner’

CBS News is reporting that documents obtained by Congressional investigators looking into the Project Gunrunner scandal include a wiretap authorization from Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer dated in March 2010.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...obtains-document-linking-asst-ag-to-gunrunner

Holder on Gunrunner: ‘I frankly don’t know’

Under grilling by Senator Charles Grassley Wednesday, Attorney General Eric Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee that he does not know how guns allowed to “walk” during a federal gun sting operation ended up at the murder scene of a U.S. Border Patrol agent in December 2010.
“I frankly don’t know,” Holder told the committee.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/holder-on-gunrunner-i-frankly-don-t-know

zack991

It would be just a shame if he was forced to step down............(sarcasm meter is needed)

Last edited:

TFred

Justice Officials in "panic mode"

This has been reported in other threads as well, but just for those who are reading this one, it looks like there will finally (and hopefully) be some accountability here.

TFred

Justice Officials in 'Panic Mode' as Hearing Nears on Failed Anti-Gun Trafficking Program

Short introduction:

Officials at the Department of Justice are in "panic mode," according to multiple sources, as word spreads that congressional testimony next week will paint a bleak and humiliating picture of Operation Fast and Furious, the botched undercover operation that left a trail of blood from Mexico to Washington, D.C.

The operation was supposed to stem the flow of weapons from the U.S. to Mexico by allowing so-called straw buyers to purchase guns legally in the U.S. and later sell them in Mexico, usually to drug cartels.

Instead, ATF documents show that the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms knowingly and deliberately flooded Mexico with assault rifles. Their intent was to expose the entire smuggling organization, from top to bottom, but the operation spun out of control and supervisors refused pleas from field agents to stop it.​

TFred

House Panel Releases Scathing Report on 'Fast and Furious' Gun Operation, Sure to Anger Mexico

...the operation was a bust, a deadly strategy that left a trail of blood and bodies throughout the Southwest, the scathing congressional report said, concluding that a reckless and irresponsible chain of command ignored repeated warnings the plan would fail.

"You've got people who are dead, you have weapons that are missing and you have an administration that doesn't seem to want to take any accountability for it," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah and a member of the House Government Oversight Committee. "There is absolutely no justification, no justification for this. There are people that are going to have to be held accountable."

That effort begins Wednesday morning when the committee opens hearings on Operation Fast and Furious. Those testifying include the family of murdered Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry and three ATF special agents who say the plan was doomed from the very beginning.

HeroHog

We-the-People

In context I read it to mean the purchases were lawful other than that they were straw purchases. But yeah, when you read the LITTERAL way it's written.....oooops.

I read the entire PDF of the "stunning report" linked from the one article....pretty damning tetimony and some rediculous assertions from DOJ like their (only them) definition of "walking a gun". According to DOJ a gun only "walks" if the ATF hands the weapon to the straw purchaser. I think maybe they've been too buddy buddy with the DEA guys and the DEA evidence locker.

Dreamer

Congress should freeze ALL of the funding for the BATFE until they cooperate fully with this investigation. After the BATFE is found to be guilty of breaking the law, it should be permanently disbanded, and the highest-ranking officials who OKed this operation should be prosecuted under the Patriot Act as "domestic terrorists", because their actions led directly to the deaths of US LEOs...

sudden valley gunner

Congress should freeze ALL of the funding for the BATFE until they cooperate fully with this investigation. After the BATFE is found to be guilty of breaking the law, it should be permanently disbanded, and the highest-ranking officials who OKed this operation should be prosecuted under the Patriot Act as "domestic terrorists", because their actions led directly to the deaths of US LEOs...

This is a win win.

But of course they will exempt themselves from the law like they do with so many other laws.

We-the-People

Over 150 dead from GunRunner weapons - including TWO U.S. Officers

Didn't find this in any threads and this seems to be the most current active thread on Gun Runner.

Mexican officials estimate 150 dead from Gun Runner weapons.
TWO U.S. officers dead from Gun Runner weapons (Terry and Zapata)
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunwalker-under-fire/

Holder and BATFE senior leadership as well as field office suppervisors that didn't say NO need to be expelled and punished.

The investigtion needs to go up the chain and uncover the roots of this conspiracy to trump up bad PR for "assault weapons" in order to gain support for more gun control!

Dave Workman

Dreamer

So, I'm waiting for the NAACP and La Rasa to come out against "Project GunRunner" because it is obviously panning out to be an all-out plan for "genocide", seeing as how nearly EVERY person killed by these Fed-supplied guns was a "person of color"...

But I'm not holding my breath on that one...

since9

Campaign Veteran
George Custer, meet Ken Melson and Eric Holder

History buffs will recall that today is the 135th anniversary of the Battle of the Little Bighorn, a military catastrophe that also became a political debacle, and if George Armstrong Custer were alive today, he could probably teach Kenneth Melson and Eric Holder something valuable about strategic errors.

If he were alive today (or at all, for that matter, after Little Bighorn), would have learned the lesson in the first place?

TFred

Uglier and uglier.

Justice Department Obstructing 'Fast and Furious' Gun Probe, ATF Director Says

Beginning of article:

The Justice Department is obstructing the congressional investigation of a U.S. law enforcement operation intended to crack down on major weapons traffickers on the Southwest border, according to the embattled leader of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Ken Melson, the acting director of the ATF, lobbed the accusation when he sneaked in for an interview with congressional investigators on July 4, two days ahead of his scheduled interview with the inspector general about the operation known as "Fast and Furious," Fox News has learned.

"If his account is accurate, then ATF leadership appears to have been effectively muzzled while the DOJ sent over false denials and buried its head in the sand," Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said in a letter Tuesday to Attorney General Eric Holder. "That approach distorted the truth and obstructed our investigation."