• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislative update AB 144 and other gun bills.

puppy8agun

Yesterday was a committee day and the tea parties tried to filibuster which they did until committee figured it out and chastised them. They slowed but did not stop halting several bills from being heard today, just not 144. Currently the capitol is talking about us taking this action. I asked they do what is right by the people instead of listening to their leader (democrats)

SB 124 the ammunition reclassification to include metal piercing that has the potential to ban many types of ammunition went into suspense file on Monday with it anticipated not to return. We will not know whether it will return until 5/27 hearing.

SB 427 the ammunition registration bill is anticipated to go into suspense Monday in appropriations on Monday, May 9th so we will be watching in person and testifying on the bill in case it gets pulled from suspense.

AB 144 passed through the appropriations yesterday (next is assembly floor) with very few democrats present when the bill was presented. It will go to floor in a few weeks, until then we need to develop the necessary arguments. Even the dems opposed the bill some which I was happy to see. NRA offered for me to testify which I did but did not realize the other open carrier was not 2nd but instead a tea party person who did not understand the issue. We had the 4 minutes allotted but that was all.

AB 809 Long Gun moved into suspense and testimony was waved. Knowing what Canada did and the costs of the current registration the costs are significant and will double the administrative costs to the state and enforcement provisions. Currently there is a process to register that happens but the DOJ or ATF would need to come into the dealer to know exact record numbers and serial numbers.

SB 661 the expansion of school zones to 1500 feet has procedural issues and will not be making it to a first committee this year but instead be put into a 2 year bill status and brought back next year if law enforcement can work through current problems with enforcement of provisions already put in place. Apparently the exemptions are so many that prosecutors get very few prosecutions and are subjected constantly to appeals that are won by defendants.

SB 798 the BBGun law mandating all bbguns being sold be certain colors is moving directly to the floor bypassing appropriations. This bill could create obstacle to owning guns of colors.

The Open Carry Bill remains to be the most dangerous bill and most damaging to all our rights to defend ourselves and thus will be worked on hard by GOC, NRA and CRPA groups. This bill will not hold in the courts and has substantial problematic issues. It will mess up many items and create many conflicting laws. It will also undo protections under federal laws and trigger a hurricane of problems. Currently the issues that created open carry have been running through the courts and it would mess up many cases if it passes. It is preferred that we not start all over in the courts with this added information of banning open carry so we need it to fail and will do what we can to cause a failure.

There is rumor that this will help fix CCW laws, however, it will not due to the many conflicts of such a law banning all access to 2nd amendment rights.

If you have any questions please post as comments and I will try to answer them when I look back at these websites

Last edited:

Iopencarry

Mike, on behalf of Puppy and myself, I will say your welcome. We were the only two OC'ers that took time to show up. Both of us were able to speak on behalf of Open Carry.

forgot to add YCC was also there, but he was there as a reporter.

Last edited:

Save Our State

Mike, on behalf of Puppy and myself, I will say your welcome. We were the only two OC'ers that took time to show up. Both of us were able to speak on behalf of Open Carry.

I am at the capitol often, but the problem is they have constant hearings there, and one has to make choices. the second amendment is an important right, but those people under the dome are advancing other right-infringing agendas too. Add to that the tax measures, and you've got more places you can go than you have time for, or that you can afford. I'm sure there are many people who would like to attend, but can't because they're working, too far away, or cannot afford the trip.

Iopencarry

you are right, there is always a reason for not speaking up when it is needed.

For those that can not get away from the job, or are to far away I can understand. But there are many people in this forum that could have been there.