• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philadelphia Open Carry march

exceltoexcel

Details here..

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-1...-protest-ppd-abuses-mark-example-page-13.html

exceltoexcel
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)

Political OC March in Philly to Protest PPD abuses Mark for example
SCHEDULE ROUTE AND TIMES MAY 14TH!

This is the route. Come carrying nothing or everything, so long as you're legal it is no ones business.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.013078&z=17

UPDATED

UPDATED

11:00 Meet at Fox and Hound

11:30 Open carry Lunch

~12:30 Leave for City Hall

1:00 City Hall

1:30 DA's Office

2:30 Attorney General

3:30 Police Headquarters

4:30 Back to the DA's office

5:00 Final meet at City Hall

5:30 Find a place for Dinner
Comments suggestions welcomed..
March amongst these points.

FYI: This letter was mailed today. A similar one was sent to the mayor.

May 5, 2011
Charles H. Ramsey

Philadelphia Police Commissioner

Police Headquarters

750 Race Street

Philadelphia, PA 1910

Dear Commissioner Ramsey:

I want to inform you that on 5/14/2011 there will be a public demonstration. This march is an exercise of the right to petition government for redress of grievances, specifically against the behavior of a few Philadelphia police officers in regards to their reactions to the legal open carrying of firearms in accordance with Pennsylvania law (Title 18 § 6108) as well as Philadelphia’s consistent ignoring of Title 18 § 6120 .

As you may know certain individuals have been repeatedly harassed by officers in the Philadelphia Police Department for openly carrying their firearms despite the MOPTEC training that was issued. We would like to work with you to ensure that this no longer happens and most certainly that it doesn’t happen during the march.

Please inform your officers of the march and the legality of open carry even within the city of Philadelphia. Your own police directive (137) indicates that it is legal. Contrary to state law it also informs the officers that they should stop and check for a LTCF. This is not legal unless they have reason to believe a crime is being committed and I advise that you restrain them from doing so. There are cases that have made this very clear; you may want to talk to an attorney about this. Again, stopping an individual that is openly carrying a firearm without RAS of a crime is itself not legal. As we both would prefer to not have any legal issues please restrict your officers from doing as such, specifically during the march.

Despite your obvious counter opinions of firearms, I’m certain both you and I respect the right for our citizens to demonstrate and respect the rule of law. Let’s work together to make sure this is a peaceful and respectful display by both sides.

This march will start at City Hall ~1:00pm, the District Attorney’s office ~1:30, the Attorney General’s office ~2:30, Police Headquarters ~ 3:30, return to the District Attorney’s office ~4:30, and City hall ~5:00 to 5:30 and a request for a permit (though not needed) has been sent to the city of Philadelphia.

Enclosed you will also find a map of the proposed route that will be followed with only minor adjustments to be made as needed if street repairs or other barriers are encountered. Again I do not believe I am required by law to even file for this permit but am doing so to keep you and the city informed in order to prevent any legal issues and as a courtesy. Please let me know if there are any permits or other issues that I should be aware of.

As we do not want the Philadelphia Police force to react as inappropriately as certain officers have done in the recent past, I will also be contacting the mayor’s office as well as the district attorney’s office to inform them that many participants may be openly carrying firearms in accordance with Pennsylvania State law (Title 18 § 6108).

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

Ted John Noga

Enclosure

Last edited:

exceltoexcel

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Curmudgeon

After-action reports filed here (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90453-Open-Carry-at-Independence-Hall), buried in the Open Carry Brigade part of the forum.

Also big following on the PAFOA forum here (http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/136006-official-philly-oc-rally-activity-thread.html).

Bottom line? A bunch of Citizens marched in Philadelphia, open carrying loaded handguns, and nobody objected.

Well... there was the one fellow. :uhoh:

However, Robert asked him if he was a shill; and when Streaker pointed out that his fly was down he became obviously embarrassed and quickly left. :lol:

I wasn't there, just relaying discussion from a PAFOA thread, but catching this on video would have been solid gold!