• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying into GA, then driving around for work.

krazichinaman

I am a sales rep who will be traveling from my home state (WA) to TX with my pistol. TX recognizes WA CPL (Concealed Pistol License) where as GA does not. When I am done with TX, I will be flying to GA for about 1.5 weeks, then fly back to WA.

From my research, when I arrive in GA, I must have the firearm, locked, unloaded and kept in the trunk of my rental car while I am driving around the state of GA(If the rental car company allows this). I can legally have the firearm loaded and on my body while in my hotel room (if the hotel does not have any rules against this), but can not step foot into the public.

I do not see any rules that prohibits me from driving around the state of GA with an unloaded, locked firearm in my suitcase in the trunk.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Kingfish

In GA, you do not need permission from the rental car company or the hotel to carry where legal.

Also, in GA you may carry (loaded, unloaded, CC, OC anywhere in the vehicle) in YOUR motor vehicle. Just stay off school grounds. There is no case law or written definition of "YOUR" but I personally would consider a rental car "MINE" during the term of the rental. The same statute that covers you in your hotel room also covers you in your car.

§ 16-11-126.

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

YMMV IANAL

krazichinaman

So look like I should have no legal trouble flying into GA with my firearm as long as I don't carry it around in public and keep it in the car while driving around GA visiting accounts?

rmodel65

In GA, you do not need permission from the rental car company or the hotel to carry where legal.

Also, in GA you may carry (loaded, unloaded, CC, OC anywhere in the vehicle) in YOUR motor vehicle. Just stay off school grounds. There is no case law or written definition of "YOUR" but I personally would consider a rental car "MINE" during the term of the rental. The same statute that covers you in your hotel room also covers you in your car.

YMMV IANAL

Not that the law says you can carry in HIS/Her car it does not say you can carry in a car owned by someone else.....i believe the time period for getting a non resident PA license is over without appearing in person...it was only 26$ and you could have carried in GA on your person with it

Last edited:

Kingfish

Not that the law says you can carry in HIS/Her car it does not say you can carry in a car owned by someone else.....i believe the time period for getting a non resident PA license is over without appearing in person...it was only 26$ and you could have carried in GA on your person with it
So, is it your opinion that a person may not carry a firearm in a house that the person rents? How about a leased vehicle?

aadvark

Kingfish:

A Man is Lawfully in Possession of Property when such Property has been Leased, Let, or Rented to Him.

Hence, once The Property aforesaid is such that the above Sentence is Applicable, The Man so in Question can 'Full-Well' be Deemed to be The Lawful Custodian of such Property.

Under Georgia Law 16-11-126(a), such Conduct of Carrying a Firearm on such Property would be a Lawful Exception to First needing to Obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License, while a Person goes about Their Business on such Leased, Let, or Rented Property.

Furthermore, The United States Supreme Court Affirmed The Concept of ANY Law-abiding American to Own and have an Operable Firearm where They Live, whereever that may be, for Self-Defense.

Anything to The Contrary would Breach The Covenant between A Man who Lawfully Acquires The Property of another Man, through such Letting, Leasing, or Renting of aforesaid Property.

aadvark