• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get a carry permit?

JayV

I am new to the forum. I currently have a concealed carry permit, and I would like to get an open carry permit. Where and how do I go about obtaining this?:question:

JayV

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, I have tried to look on my own, but I am not sure about how to find out about open carry. I was under the assumption that my permit was a concealed permit, but after really looking at it ( just like you said ) it is a carry permit. So is there any requirements to open carry..... like does the gun have to be unloaded? Does it have to be 100% out in the open and not partially concealed? Like I said I am new to this open carry thing, can somebody explain it to me as if I have absolutely no clue, I just don't want to assume something and end up in trouble resulting in loosing my permit.

Rich B

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, I have tried to look on my own, but I am not sure about how to find out about open carry. I was under the assumption that my permit was a concealed permit, but after really looking at it ( just like you said ) it is a carry permit. So is there any requirements to open carry..... like does the gun have to be unloaded? Does it have to be 100% out in the open and not partially concealed? Like I said I am new to this open carry thing, can somebody explain it to me as if I have absolutely no clue, I just don't want to assume something and end up in trouble resulting in loosing my permit.

There are none of those rules to open carry. You do need to understand the laws regarding firearms in this state in general though. Open carry is still a sensitive topic in this state and there are LEOs out there who don't understand or don't want to admit that open carry is legal. They could potentially detain you, ID you and even arrest and charge you with breach of peace or disorderly conduct. As long as your firearm was holstered and you didn't make any threats or any other illegal activity, those charges should not go anywhere.

I have been open carrying all over CT since April of last year. My negative encounters while OCing have been rare, but they have happened. They are posted here and in more condensed form on http://withregardstorights.com

I personally recommend if you are going to OC carry a dedicated voice recorder with you that is on anytime you are carrying. I found in my Wallingford incident that the police will manipulate and out right lie about the incident to try and make their aggression legit. Things have gone much better since then and every encounter I have had has been recorded for community digestion and further learning.

Attorney Rachel Baird is well versed in the law on open carry and firearms law in general in CT. If you get jammed up for any reason, my first call would be to her.

Main rules to OC in CT (everyone else feel free to add, maybe we can make a sticky, better formatted version?):

- Stay polite and professional.
- Stay away from K-12 schools. They are off limits.
- Stay away from state parks for now. DEP says they are off limits. This needs to be worked on more.
- If someone asks you to leave their property, you have to. Otherwise you are trespassing. Leave and then post it here so we can see what we can do about reversing the ignorance.

There are no rules or laws about loaded vs unloaded. I carry fully loaded with two extra mags.
There are no rules about how concealed or open you must carry. Do understand that if you carry partially concealed, you may run into more attention than fully open. Then again, you may not. We have people that do both.

You found the right place, this is the best resource for open carry that I know of. I recommend you lurk here and read as much as you can. There is a ton of good information.

Also, feel free to ask as many questions as you need to.

KIX

JayV:

Curious..... were you under the idea that you needed a separate permit or did an instructor or law enforcement agency say it was illegal?

Jonathan

JayV

I assumed it was a separate permit, because during my pistol permit class, my instructor really emphasized that the gun had to be concealed and that nobody should be able to tell that you had one on you.... even if they knew you had one, they shouldn't be able tell where. So I was under the impression that it had to be concealed.

JayV

Thank you for the replies. I am hesitant to open carry.... it just seems like I am doing something wrong (I now know that its not wrong) because everyone I talk to is under the impression that it is illegal including some of my leo friends. I do like the idea of a recording device, so that might put me at ease.

KIX

That's fine and indeed your choice.

However, your instructor is just wrong (sadly, many are).

Keep in mind, there is a clear difference between open carry and brandishing. One is intentional, the other is accidental and viewed as "suspicious" behavior.

I put a lot of the legal information on the website http://ctpistolpermitissues.com

I'll be adding more soon.

Jonathan

Rich B

Thank you for the replies. I am hesitant to open carry.... it just seems like I am doing something wrong (I now know that its not wrong) because everyone I talk to is under the impression that it is illegal including some of my leo friends. I do like the idea of a recording device, so that might put me at ease.

If you ever need or want someone to open carry with to help you gain confidence, people here can help you. Just say the word.

KIX

Won't we be accused of trying to start a "movement".....

:)

Couldn't resist.

Rich is right though, plenty here would carry with ya.

Jonathan

Lenny Benedetto

Won't we be accused of trying to start a "movement".....

:)

Couldn't resist.

Rich is right though, plenty here would carry with ya.

Jonathan

"Movement" Ya right! Who would believe something like that?...LOL
The CCDL picnic is always a good chance for a New Guy or Gal to see plenty of likeminded folks OCing.
It aint the center of a major CT city, but who would want to have a picnic in one of those anyway ;)

KIX

But.... But.... Lenny......

There were about 4 dozen of us with guns...... and we were all carrying them in the open...... and less than a hundred feet from kids playing and...... NOTHING HAPPENED!

Where was the media then.......

Jonathan

JayV

"Movement" Ya right! Who would believe something like that?...LOL
The CCDL picnic is always a good chance for a New Guy or Gal to see plenty of likeminded folks OCing.
It aint the center of a major CT city, but who would want to have a picnic in one of those anyway

When and where are these picnics? I would be interested in attending. :banana:

GoldCoaster

Picnic

We've had 2 so far, in Boothe Memorial Park in Stratford.

Shoot down (figuratively not literally) Route 8 from Waterbury, hop on the Merritt North/East bound, get off on Route 110 aka River Road (Shelton/Stratford) Right at the light at the end of the ramp, bear right up the hill and Boothe is on your left at the top of the hill.

More info will be coming along once the date is set. Join http://www.ccdl.us if you haven't already.

Welcome.

Last edited: