• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about open cary and gun shows

cwhitney24

There is a gun show coming up next weekend at the BJCC in Birmingham. This will be the first one my wife and I have attended. Are we allowed to open carry at these?

eye95

Usually, no. Check the rules posted at the door.

Most gun shows, due to insurance premiums, do not allow loaded guns on the premises. Most likely, there will be an officer at the door who will check your unloaded weapon and then zip-tie the action.

Aknazer

At the gun show I just went to yes you could openly carry your weapons, but they couldn't be loaded and you couldn't have ammo for them on you. And like eye said, there was an LEO there checking the guns and putting a ziptie on them. They also put a sticker on the mag at the show I was at which I'm assuming was to show that the mag was empty.

Granted it isn't the OC that most people would think of, but at least at the show I went to it meant that any guns you brought (either to trade/sell or cuz you don't feel comfortable just leaving your carry weapon in your car) didn't have to be in a container. Personally I CCed to the door as OC is illegal here, then once I entered the "no weapons" area (kind of ironic that a gun show was being held in a building with "no guns" posted on the doors) I simply uncovered the weapon. Here's a link to rules of a gun show

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blgunshow.htm

Oh and something kind of odd if you go and plan to buy ammo. When I asked I was told that I couldn't buy any ammo for the gun I was carrying, but my wife who was with me could buy the ammo as she didn't have a gun; even though we were there together.

Kirbinator

You can get the ziptie cut off walking out the door and immediately re-arm yourself. The police arrested Jonathon Norris for disorderly conduct back on July 4 of the year before last, but EVERYONE is carrying some kind of gun into or out of the gun shows -- and that's very obviously not against the law.