Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Governor's Actions

Governor's Actions

Link to Governor's Actions for Bills

http://www.flgov.com/bill-action/

Source: Gov. Rick Scott Website
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 05-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles1999 View Post
    Link to Governor's Actions for Bills (Signed, Line-Item Vetoes, Vetoes, Enrolled Bills) Updated Daily

http://myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/B...rsactions.aspx

Source: Florida HOR Website
    I wonder if he's going to sign it (SB234) or just let it expire into law. Might indicate his position on the language. I think its going through but I wonder how..
    2A - "Shall not be infringed". Our fathers said so!
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Well since the legislature is going home after today, the bill has 15 days before becoming law without his signature.

The trick is I don't know if that 15 days means business days, non-sundays, or if it starts the day the bill is enrolled, or after it's 3 day waiting period in both houses.

Can he DO a line-item veto?

Maybe we could convince him that it would be in the best interest of the citizens he represents to line-item-veto the bastardized (no longer 'open carry') provisions and keep the otherwise favorable aspects of the law.

That would at least not put us on a lost-ground footing when we try for true OC again.

(I'm still surprised no one pointed out the problem of HIKING while armed...it's not one of the 'exceptions' listed in law..only hunting, fishing, CAMPING...but if you're on a day hike (no camping intended) then you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
    Can he DO a line-item veto?
    No.

^good points

He can only line-item veto appropriations bills.

You know what's really strange.

Both houses passed this bill with a veto-proof super majority. Why would the governor even need to sign it? Wouldn't it become law automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    You know what's really strange.

Both houses passed this bill with a veto-proof super majority. Why would the governor even need to sign it? Wouldn't it become law automatically?
    Well, the way I understand it, and I certainly could be wrong...

IF he decides to veto, he sends it back to the originating house with his reasons for vetoing it. Then they have the option of making changes and passing it back, or having another vote to "veto his veto".

The reason for this is that the governor "could" have a valid reason to veto that they had not earlier considered, so they may want/need to make changes before passing it as a law.

15 day rule answer

Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    Well since the legislature is going home after today, the bill has 15 days before becoming law without his signature.

The trick is I don't know if that 15 days means business days, non-sundays, or if it starts the day the bill is enrolled, or after it's 3 day waiting period in both houses.
    Every bill passed by the legislature shall be presented to the governor for approval and shall become a law if the governor approves and signs it, or fails to veto it within seven consecutive days after presentation. If during that period or on the seventh day the legislature adjourns sine die or takes a recess of more than thirty days, the governor shall have fifteen consecutive days from the date of presentation to act on the bill. In all cases except general appropriation bills, the veto shall extend to the entire bill. The governor may veto any specific appropriation in a general appropriation bill, but may not veto any qualification or restriction without also vetoing the appropriation to which it relates.

Hope this helps

swatpamike

Last Event: 05/04/11 S Ordered enrolled -SJ 851 on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:19 PM

so 15 days from 5/04 would be 5/19 @ 4:19pm
    Last edited by swatpamike; 05-06-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: more information

Just wondering

Just wondering what the Gov. will do? Not signing the bill but letting it become law will just prove to me that he never really support open carry in Florida and has no nuts to come out and say it.

It's also funny there has not been much noise from either side of the fence on the bill other then from open carry supporters.

Cheers

Michael

He's got a few days to go yet, soo maybe some letters/calls to remind him to veto?
    As for those in Tally, they've already done what they set out to do (shaft us/no-lube applied) so as far as they're concerned it's a done deal-back to "voters who?" as usual.
    The only backlash likely to ever be heard is from us pro-2a folks...and who are we, again?...

Quote Originally Posted by swatpamike View Post
    Just wondering what the Gov. will do? Not signing the bill but letting it become law will just prove to me that he never really support open carry in Florida and has no nuts to come out and say it.

It's also funny there has not been much noise from either side of the fence on the bill other then from open carry supporters.

Cheers

Michael
    Not really. This isn't an OC bill anymore. It's a small step backwards and while also being a setup for the NRA to come back 5 years from now and say, "see it didn't work" and try for the real thing again. If Scott really took our rights seriously he'd veto this thing with instructions to pass a real OC bill.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    He's got a few days to go yet, soo maybe some letters/calls to remind him to veto?
    As for those in Tally, they've already done what they set out to do (shaft us/no-lube applied) so as far as they're concerned it's a done deal-back to "voters who?" as usual.
    The only backlash likely to ever be heard is from us pro-2a folks...and who are we, again?...
    And most Pro 2A people are like "Open what??

We just need to press on. I'm really wondering what the genesis of SB 234 was. Accidental exposure is a small problem. If a couple of 2A activists had not talked to Rick Scott on the record, had not brought it to the media's attention, I don't know that OC would really have been on the NRA radar. And while Marion Hammer never lied, she strongly suggested that real OC was a good thing in and of itself. She implied that accidental exposure was just one of the reasons for OC. Before OC being mentioned by Scott, a year ago, she wouldn't have touched the topic with a 10 ft pole.
    Last edited by 77zach; 05-13-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

"she wouldn't have touched the topic with a 10 ft pole. "

Which I find rather disturbing, considering all the praise slathered on this one for pro-2a stances. Why half-ass things? If you're in favor, why would one not be so-all the way?

We sure dont see such nonsense with 1A,right?

We dont see: "Sure Free Speech is great..but only if concealed and spoken/written in discreet,private conversations.....but if "briefly" said aloud in a crowded place? oooh no, cant have that can we?"

Why half-ass things? If you're in favor, why would one not be so-all the way?

We sure dont see such nonsense with 1A,right?
    The 1st Amendment is widely and enthusiastically accepted by the general public. Open carry of firearms is, to put it mildly, not.

Really? Do we assume this? Or do we base this on the usual lot of anti's opinions.
    Dont seem to recall any huge public outcry to end Open Carry,when it was once commonplace. That was a decision made by politicians-not the people-wasnt it?

Dont seem to recall any huge public outcry to end Open Carry, when it was once commonplace.
    When's the last time OC was commonplace in Florida? It may have been legal, but commonplace?

I lived in Florida before the Shall-issue law was passed and never saw anyone OCing. Not ever.

Duval and St. Johns-mostly rural areas/semi-rural. But was quiet common when I was growing up. Enough so that as a kid, If I went somewhere and saw folks without a sidearm on, I found it very strange. Would ask my father "where;s their pistol?"

Duval and St. Johns-mostly rural areas/semi-rural. But was quiet common when I was growing up. Enough so that as a kid, If I went somewhere and saw folks without a sidearm on, I found it very strange. Would ask my father "where;s their pistol?"
    Not sure I'm buying that.

I've been in Florida for almost half a century, born and raised, growing up in a small county in SW FL and spending a great deal of time in the rural counties of NC FL with my grandparents. In all the time prior to 1987, I can count the number of times I saw someone OCing a handgun (when not actively hunting) on my fingers with room to spare.

Buy whatever you feel you need. Got nothing to prove or disprove to you. But I saw what I saw,and common enough around my parts at the time. Wasnt an issue, far as I could recall, either.
    Grew up most of my childhood around guns and around folks carrying them on a regular basis. Learned to shoot at a very early age as a result.

But-to add to that-I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
    I can recall througout high school most of us boys almost always carried sheathed Buck or Schrade lock-backs on our belts,with no issue from the school,and no one gave it a second's thought. It was the norm.
    Even when fights broke out,which happened often enough, none of the folks fighting ever even considered pulling that blade. Once. Ever.
    Now days though? Couldnt imagine a school permitting that, or the kids being able to refrain from using it...

I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
    I can recall througout high school most of us boys almost always carried sheathed Buck or Schrade lock-backs on our belts,with no issue from the school,and no one gave it a second's thought. It was the norm.
    When I was a kid - 50 years ago - in Northern NJ, not far from NYC, there was a 50 ft .22 rifle range in the basement of my high school. I carried my Mossberg 144LSA rifle to school on Wednesdays, put it in my locker, went to my classes and took it to rifle practice after school. We also had rifle practice on Saturday mornings.

You can bet that range isn't there today!!

Also, I carried a pocket knife to school every day from 2nd grade till I graduated from high school. No problem at all. As you said, when there were fights, no one pulled a knife.

But-to add to that-I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
    Even when fights broke out,which happened often enough, none of the folks fighting ever even considered pulling that blade. Once. Ever.
    Now days though? Couldnt imagine a school permitting that, or the kids being able to refrain from using it...
    That I can relate to. It was not uncommon for youngsters to take .22 rifles to school for squirrel hunting afterwards. Teacher would put them in the closet for the day, give them back at the end of the day. I've had a knife of one kind or another in my pocket since I was 6 years old. Would not have ever thought about using it in a fight.

During hunting season, not an issue for guys to have shotguns/rifles in their cars/trucks at the local highschools.

Different times, indeed, sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast