• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor's Actions

rvrctyrngr

Duval and St. Johns-mostly rural areas/semi-rural. But was quiet common when I was growing up. Enough so that as a kid, If I went somewhere and saw folks without a sidearm on, I found it very strange. Would ask my father "where;s their pistol?"

Not sure I'm buying that.

I've been in Florida for almost half a century, born and raised, growing up in a small county in SW FL and spending a great deal of time in the rural counties of NC FL with my grandparents. In all the time prior to 1987, I can count the number of times I saw someone OCing a handgun (when not actively hunting) on my fingers with room to spare.

j4l

Buy whatever you feel you need. Got nothing to prove or disprove to you. But I saw what I saw,and common enough around my parts at the time. Wasnt an issue, far as I could recall, either.
Grew up most of my childhood around guns and around folks carrying them on a regular basis. Learned to shoot at a very early age as a result.

j4l

But-to add to that-I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
I can recall througout high school most of us boys almost always carried sheathed Buck or Schrade lock-backs on our belts,with no issue from the school,and no one gave it a second's thought. It was the norm.
Even when fights broke out,which happened often enough, none of the folks fighting ever even considered pulling that blade. Once. Ever.
Now days though? Couldnt imagine a school permitting that, or the kids being able to refrain from using it...

Japle

I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
I can recall througout high school most of us boys almost always carried sheathed Buck or Schrade lock-backs on our belts,with no issue from the school,and no one gave it a second's thought. It was the norm.

When I was a kid - 50 years ago - in Northern NJ, not far from NYC, there was a 50 ft .22 rifle range in the basement of my high school. I carried my Mossberg 144LSA rifle to school on Wednesdays, put it in my locker, went to my classes and took it to rifle practice after school. We also had rifle practice on Saturday mornings.

You can bet that range isn't there today!!

Also, I carried a pocket knife to school every day from 2nd grade till I graduated from high school. No problem at all. As you said, when there were fights, no one pulled a knife.

rvrctyrngr

But-to add to that-I do acknowledge those were very different times than now.
Even when fights broke out,which happened often enough, none of the folks fighting ever even considered pulling that blade. Once. Ever.
Now days though? Couldnt imagine a school permitting that, or the kids being able to refrain from using it...

That I can relate to. It was not uncommon for youngsters to take .22 rifles to school for squirrel hunting afterwards. Teacher would put them in the closet for the day, give them back at the end of the day. I've had a knife of one kind or another in my pocket since I was 6 years old. Would not have ever thought about using it in a fight.

During hunting season, not an issue for guys to have shotguns/rifles in their cars/trucks at the local highschools.

Different times, indeed, sir.

j4l

Indeed. From the time I was about 10 yrs. at least, to this day, there's always been at the least, a pocket knife on me. Never was an issue back then....kids today though?
Never did have or see any firearms at a school,though-sporting or otherwise..

Compare this to current times though..granted this was NY, but about 15 yr.s ago, was consulting on a potential security contractor for a Long Island public high school. They had asked me to visit the school,and meet with the admins and do a site-survey to determine needs for the contract, prior to their bidding on it.
As part of the survey-administrators did a locker-search of student lockers.
Turned up, among other things, 25 or so pistols (mostly 9mm/.25 ,etc.) and 2 MAC-10s. :eek:
When I got back to the client, I advised them to avoid the contract if the school system wouldnt permit their officers to be at least equally as well-armed as the students...

RRobaldo

Duval and St. Johns-mostly rural areas/semi-rural. But was quiet common when I was growing up. Enough so that as a kid, If I went somewhere and saw folks without a sidearm on, I found it very strange. Would ask my father "where;s their pistol?"

Gotta agree with other's comments here. Not sure how old you are J4L, but in 1894, Yes, EIGHTEEN NINETY FOUR, Florida outlawed open carry without a license.

Perhaps prior to that, it was common to see someone carrying, but I wouldn't know.

I doubt very seriously that nearly everyone in Duval and St. Johns applied for, and recieved, a license to carry.

Sometimes our childhood memories aren't as accurate as we think.

RRobaldo

When I was a kid - 50 years ago - in Northern NJ, not far from NYC, there was a 50 ft .22 rifle range in the basement of my high school. I carried my Mossberg 144LSA rifle to school on Wednesdays, put it in my locker, went to my classes and took it to rifle practice after school. We also had rifle practice on Saturday mornings.

You can bet that range isn't there today!!

Also, I carried a pocket knife to school every day from 2nd grade till I graduated from high school. No problem at all. As you said, when there were fights, no one pulled a knife.

I know for a fact, that my High School in Hillsborough County, as recent as just a few years ago, still had a .22 rifle range in a room hidden behind the bleachers in the gymnasium. I was on their Army JROTC Rifle Team back in 80/81.

I know of several other high schools CURRENTLY in Hillsborough County with Non-Army (Navy, Airforce, etc) JROTC units that still have .22 Air Rifles that they use for competition on a regular basis. (my son is on one of their rifle teams).

I'm not sure if the Army JROTC still has .22 rimfire or if they've converted to the air rifles too. But I do know they still had them just a few years ago.

77zach

Gotta agree with other's comments here. Not sure how old you are J4L, but in 1894, Yes, EIGHTEEN NINETY FOUR, Florida outlawed open carry without a license.

Perhaps prior to that, it was common to see someone carrying, but I wouldn't know.

I doubt very seriously that nearly everyone in Duval and St. Johns applied for, and recieved, a license to carry.

My family has been in Marion County since the time of Ocala's founding. My grandfather said OC of long guns was common in the 1940's without a license and after the war,unlicensed pistol OC was seen. The Supreme Court of Fl said in 1920 that permits were only required for blacks. I'm not sure when we all started being treated like slaves and neither does my grandfather. He thinks it was in the 60's when the legislature changed something.

Rich7553

To my knowledge, that's almost correct. In 1894, the state didn't really outlaw open carry, but gave counties and other political subdivisions the power to regulate firearms within their jurisdictions. Those counties that were rural and had a large hunting contingent, opted to allow individuals to openly carry firearms. More urban jurisdictions opted to either license OC or outlaw it completely. After realizing that this practice created a patchwork of differing laws, and potentially put law-abiding individuals in legal jeopardy, the state preempted firearms regulation. Since OC wasn't specifically outlawed by the 1987 preemption statute and the counties no longer had the authority to regulate it, Miami-Dade blew a gasket. Their assistant state attorney Janet Reno gathered enough sheriffs to cause a big enough stink about it in the press and prompted the legislature to call a special session just to outlaw OC in 1988.

j4l

My family has been in Marion County since the time of Ocala's founding. My grandfather said OC of long guns was common in the 1940's without a license and after the war,unlicensed pistol OC was seen. The Supreme Court of Fl said in 1920 that permits were only required for blacks. I'm not sure when we all started being treated like slaves and neither does my grandfather. He thinks it was in the 60's when the legislature changed something.

Bingo.

Alude904

Wow. Ive never seen the senators page with all the bills he has to sign. That is a crap ton of bills. Looks like he has a lot to sign... Or should i say, let expire into law? I doubt sb234 is at the top of his list. How much time is left on this bill before it ecomes law?

77zach

Wow. Ive never seen the senators page with all the bills he has to sign. That is a crap ton of bills. Looks like he has a lot to sign... Or should i say, let expire into law? I doubt sb234 is at the top of his list. How much time is left on this bill before it ecomes law?

2 days

~*'Phoenix'*~

How about we make a time machine and stop her and her good ol' boys gang before they get together that "special" session?

ceejay78

Thursday afternoon.

I think people are confused about the signing deadline. The gov has 15 days from the day the bill is placed on his desk for signature in which to sign or veto it. He hasn't received the bill yet.

SB 408 (a property insurance bill) is the only one on his desk right now. When SB 234 is ready, it will probably say "Signed by Officers and presented to Governor" like SB 408 does now.

Last edited:

77zach

It may just happen brotha...it may just happen. In fact i would love for that to happen, so all these ******* anti's we feel like they just got slaped in the face...

Bro to be honest, I have never seen any problem with OC in any state in this great Nation, in fact when around people i would rather see who has a weapon then not know at all... I have always honored a law-abiding citizen thats carry a firearm for the simple respect that I have towards them, because I know for a fact that law-abiding citizens that carry firearms dont commit crime's... the big problem here in my opinion is that we basically did it to are selfs by voteing these anti freedom scum bags in office...

Who is your rep? If he/she is an anti, you should run.