Thread: LEO encounter of a different kind

LEO encounter of a different kind

delete
    Last edited by xd40arff; 05-15-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    repscetfully said no i will not go put it in the house and if needed informed him/her it was my right to be armed
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

delete

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    no one can tell you how you HAVE to handle things all you can do is handle it how you comfortably feel you should handle situations what i stated was how i would of done things despite knowing if the cop was a dink or not but that is just me
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 05-06-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Hind site is ALWAYS 20/20. Officers are trained to "disarm" for officer safety, and in the moment you need to decide what is right for you.

The fact that he simply asked you to disarm and did not arrest tells us that LEO is learning.

Carry On

delete

Your decision is what YOU think is appropriate at the time. You were there, not us. I'd say you made the choice that you seemed appropriate.
    But the term of "officer safety" has always seemed like a "cop out". hehe But I guess there are nut cases that would call the cops then try their "quick draw". I guess it may be a sign of the times. I do hope all ends well.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

In addition, I'm sure your mind wasn't firing on all cylinders at 0400.

Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    Hind site is ALWAYS 20/20. Officers are trained to "disarm" for officer safety, and in the moment you need to decide what is right for you.

The fact that he simply asked you to disarm and did not arrest tells us that LEO is learning.

Carry On
    +1
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

delete

You might want to take advantage of a "teaching moment" and send this particular deputy a copy of the letter from the Wisconsin Attorney General concerning open carry.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by xd40arff View Post
    Ok, this morning I was nice and asleep in my warm bed. All the sudden my friend who had slept over was banging on my bedroom door. He said to come outside quick that our cars had been broken into. I quickly grabbed my flashlight and holstered up. I am not going to go outside on my rural property at 0350 in the morning un-armed.

I quickly checked my property and my cars, sure enough all of our car stereos were gone. After checking around quick, I called the Sheriffs Office, in about 20 minutes or so they arrived with 2 squads. I let the first Deputy know I was OC'ing, he looked down at my holster, and told me to go put that in the house as there is no reason for me to have it. Seeing that it was 0400 in the morning, I was already not in a good mood due to my cars being broken into, I said Ok and went and put my firearm on my toolbox in the garage. At this point the two armed deputies were enough as I could figure.

I felt kind of put off by the deputy for telling me I had no reason to have that and to go put it away, but I wasn't going to argue, when after all he was there to assist me. How would you guys of handled this one?

I think I would have done the same thing... take it for what it's worth comming from someone who recently had a LEO encounter that others here thought was handled poorly.

They were not there to hassle you, as you said they were there to assist you. I (we) carry mainly for defensive security (I know, I know, also because it is our leagsl and constitutional right), but in your situation, I think, the defensive security aspect is practically nonexistent.

Just my $0.02...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

The scary part to me was, once they had access inside my vehicles, they had access to my garage door opener.... Then could have gained access to my house...
    A coin toss over the whole disarming thing. Sure you don't want to give up your gun but was this a "fight" you really wanted at the time and circumstances?

Sorry to hear about your cars being broken into. Glad they didn't get into your garage and house.

Last edited by DTD2; 07-22-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    repscetfully said no i will not go put it in the house and if needed informed him/her it was my right to be armed
    Yup

I thought about that, the only thing was that I have experience with this particular deputy (im a local Fire Fighter) and he is in better words kind of an a$$.... I probably should have said that though, its the hind sight is 20/20 kind of thing.
    They get off on the power. However, probably would learn a good hard lesson if litigation ensued.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Were you on your property when asked/ordered to disarm? If the officer "you have personally know for years" does not like you being armed on your property he could leave and not take your complaint. That is of course if he has "personally known you" for some substantial amount of time as well. Then you could assist in his education later at his office.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I was not there, but on my property, lawfully carrying, I do not disarm. I have been asked to disarm before, on my property, and have in every case refused. The officer then had a decision to make, do his job or leave. They always did their job. Then I invited them to have a soda while they did their job. Polite but firm.
    Yup. Calm, polite, firm...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Whats even worse...

The Sheriffs Office more than likely will do nothing about the break in.

Last spring someone got into my Jeep and the neighbors Buick Roadmaster.
    They got nothing from me but had my b/u holster and a b/u full mag laying
    on my front seat.They were unable to get into the Buick because it had a dead batt
    and the power trunk button didnt work.
    So they peeled a trim strip off the passenger door of the Buick.

Called the Police...and was informed by the officer sent that because of the crime lab being so backed up the Police Dept was only interested in pursuing felonies.

There had to be $2500 or more in theft or vandalism before they would bother too investigate.

Kinda scary when you look at the fact a vehicle can be made inoperable for far less than $2500.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

I probalby wound NOT have even pointed out that i was armed...knowing what i know now..
    and had he asked me to disarm i wouldve kindly declined his request...

he looked down at my holster, and told me to go put that in the house as there is no reason for me to have it. Seeing that it was 0400 in the morning

But you just were robbed.....Hence needing a gun......And you are standing on your property.........I understand there were 2 armed deputies, but you were just robbed. what if they were still around hiding?
    Last edited by Madmodder; 05-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    on your own property? Conceal it! Problem solved.........

"ok officer, but i'm going in with it, some coffee sounds good right now anyways. Please let me know when your done with your report."
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Sucks you car got broken into, getting crap stolen is a bad feeling. I hate thieves .

I've said it before, I'd like to have the option to shoot a thief just like Texas. I don't want and could never imagine I would shoot someone for stealing stuff, but I would like the option .

Not really going to comment on the whole open carry thing as it's easy to say what I "think" I would have done after the fact and I don't think it's fair for us to make yourself second guess your actions. I know you asked but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jason in WI; 05-07-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Wait a minute. Just so I understand.

A deputy told you to disarm. On your own property. At night. In a location where OC is legal. When you were the complaintant. Requesting assistance with a crime committed against your personal property. By a government service for which you pay taxes. Because he was a better judge of his false premise about need?

And, did this deputy happen to mention where he got the authority to give you that order? (rhetorical question)

delete
    Last edited by xd40arff; 05-15-2011 at 05:53 PM.