• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter of a different kind

oliverclotheshoff

no one can tell you how you HAVE to handle things all you can do is handle it how you comfortably feel you should handle situations what i stated was how i would of done things despite knowing if the cop was a dink or not but that is just me

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Hind site is ALWAYS 20/20. Officers are trained to "disarm" for officer safety, and in the moment you need to decide what is right for you.

The fact that he simply asked you to disarm and did not arrest tells us that LEO is learning.

Carry On

Krusty

Your decision is what YOU think is appropriate at the time. You were there, not us. I'd say you made the choice that you seemed appropriate.
But the term of "officer safety" has always seemed like a "cop out". hehe But I guess there are nut cases that would call the cops then try their "quick draw". I guess it may be a sign of the times. I do hope all ends well.

protias

In addition, I'm sure your mind wasn't firing on all cylinders at 0400.

Hind site is ALWAYS 20/20. Officers are trained to "disarm" for officer safety, and in the moment you need to decide what is right for you.

The fact that he simply asked you to disarm and did not arrest tells us that LEO is learning.

Carry On
+1

jpm84092

You might want to take advantage of a "teaching moment" and send this particular deputy a copy of the letter from the Wisconsin Attorney General concerning open carry.

Outdoorsman1

Ok, this morning I was nice and asleep in my warm bed. All the sudden my friend who had slept over was banging on my bedroom door. He said to come outside quick that our cars had been broken into. I quickly grabbed my flashlight and holstered up. I am not going to go outside on my rural property at 0350 in the morning un-armed.

I quickly checked my property and my cars, sure enough all of our car stereos were gone. After checking around quick, I called the Sheriffs Office, in about 20 minutes or so they arrived with 2 squads. I let the first Deputy know I was OC'ing, he looked down at my holster, and told me to go put that in the house as there is no reason for me to have it. Seeing that it was 0400 in the morning, I was already not in a good mood due to my cars being broken into, I said Ok and went and put my firearm on my toolbox in the garage. At this point the two armed deputies were enough as I could figure.

I felt kind of put off by the deputy for telling me I had no reason to have that and to go put it away, but I wasn't going to argue, when after all he was there to assist me. How would you guys of handled this one?

I think I would have done the same thing... take it for what it's worth comming from someone who recently had a LEO encounter that others here thought was handled poorly.

They were not there to hassle you, as you said they were there to assist you. I (we) carry mainly for defensive security (I know, I know, also because it is our leagsl and constitutional right), but in your situation, I think, the defensive security aspect is practically nonexistent.

Just my $0.02...

Outdoorsman1

1FASTC4

The scary part to me was, once they had access inside my vehicles, they had access to my garage door opener.... Then could have gained access to my house...

A coin toss over the whole disarming thing. Sure you don't want to give up your gun but was this a "fight" you really wanted at the time and circumstances?

Sorry to hear about your cars being broken into. Glad they didn't get into your garage and house.

hardballer

repscetfully said no i will not go put it in the house and if needed informed him/her it was my right to be armed
Yup

I thought about that, the only thing was that I have experience with this particular deputy (im a local Fire Fighter) and he is in better words kind of an a$$.... I probably should have said that though, its the hind sight is 20/20 kind of thing.
They get off on the power. However, probably would learn a good hard lesson if litigation ensued.

Were you on your property when asked/ordered to disarm? If the officer "you have personally know for years" does not like you being armed on your property he could leave and not take your complaint. That is of course if he has "personally known you" for some substantial amount of time as well. Then you could assist in his education later at his office.
Yup.

I was not there, but on my property, lawfully carrying, I do not disarm. I have been asked to disarm before, on my property, and have in every case refused. The officer then had a decision to make, do his job or leave. They always did their job. Then I invited them to have a soda while they did their job. Polite but firm.
Yup. Calm, polite, firm...

LR Yote 312

Whats even worse...

The Sheriffs Office more than likely will do nothing about the break in.

Last spring someone got into my Jeep and the neighbors Buick Roadmaster.
They got nothing from me but had my b/u holster and a b/u full mag laying
on my front seat.They were unable to get into the Buick because it had a dead batt
and the power trunk button didnt work.
So they peeled a trim strip off the passenger door of the Buick.

Called the Police...and was informed by the officer sent that because of the crime lab being so backed up the Police Dept was only interested in pursuing felonies.

There had to be $2500 or more in theft or vandalism before they would bother too investigate.

Kinda scary when you look at the fact a vehicle can be made inoperable for far less than $2500.

LR Yote

Madmodder

he looked down at my holster, and told me to go put that in the house as there is no reason for me to have it. Seeing that it was 0400 in the morning

But you just were robbed.....Hence needing a gun......And you are standing on your property.........I understand there were 2 armed deputies, but you were just robbed. what if they were still around hiding?

Last edited:

Jason in WI

Sucks you car got broken into, getting crap stolen is a bad feeling. I hate thieves :cuss:.

I've said it before, I'd like to have the option to shoot a thief just like Texas. I don't want and could never imagine I would shoot someone for stealing stuff, but I would like the option :shocker:.

Not really going to comment on the whole open carry thing as it's easy to say what I "think" I would have done after the fact and I don't think it's fair for us to make yourself second guess your actions. I know you asked but that's just my opinion.

Last edited: