• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver's Exception to OC

RandallFlagg

100 internet points if you can explain the reference in the picture

dunces-5_150.jpg

Michelle Obama right before the Presidential limo bottomed out at the Dublin Embassy?
(Sorry. My first post here and I might have already blown it. It's just a joke)

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
When considering why Denver is exempt from preemption, we need to remember that this wasn't based on a vote of the citizens. We can amend our constitution in Colorado by referrendum. A city ordinance, however, is the work of the city council and does not necessarily reflect the will of the electorate.

As for the population of Denver, it had a population of 600,158 residents in 2010. The census bureau estimated Colorado to have a population of 5,024,748 in 2009. Denver is the largest city within 600 miles. It is also the flatest city, sitting on a level plain at the base of the Rocky Mountain front range.

Denver receives 300 days of sunshine a year (none of which we've enjoyed lately!!!)
Denver is the nation's most highly educated city with the highest percentage of high school and college graduates.
Denver brews more beer than any other American city. (Rocky Mountain Soda Pop.... Coors!)
Denver has the largest city park system in the nation with 205 parks in city limits and 20,000 acres of parks in the nearby mountains.
Denver is the "Baby Boomer" capital of America with the highest percentage of boomers of any major U.S. city.
Denver is 20th in the U.S. in population, but has the 10th largest downtown in terms of office space and retail space.
Denver has the nation's second largest performing arts center. The Denver Performing Arts Complex has eight theaters seating over 9,000 people.
Denver citizens contribute more public funding for the arts per capita than any other U.S. city.
Denver has the thinnest residents of any U.S. city, according to a federal study.
Denver really is a mile high. There's a spot on the west steps of the State Capitol building that is exactly 5,280 feet above sea level.

To the above may be added that Denver has traditionally been looked upon as a "Cow Town" and that's an image that causes many in government here to bristle profusely. It has much to do with our new megalithic airport, new sports stadiums, and spectacular expenditure of treasure to shake that image. In essence, Denver badly wants to dump that cow town image and be regarded as a vibrant, modern, technologically advanced city. I believe their resistence to open carry has more to do with Denver wanting to shed that cow town image where citizens all carry shooting irons as they did in earlier days than with any liberal or conservative bias. Denver doesn't seem to have issues with concealed carry, mind you. Just open carry and their sensitivities about how it might look to the touristas. While Denver certainly is a vibrant, modern and technologically advanced city; I believe it still suffers from a latent inferiority complex at governmental levels. At the very least, it appears they have a self esteem issue of municipal proportions.

Then again, that's just my own belief and I can't back that up with evidence. It's like trying to document the usefulness of a flood at the Alka Seltzer factory!

Meanwhile, I'll strap on my pistol, don my Stetson, and stay clear of Denver.
Oh, wait... I tend to do that now anyhow!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Damn, you're been reading!

Over more than 35 years I've never been denied a job, nor fired for one, and am honorably retired and highly-decorated USAF veteran, yet am being "non-renewed for a lease" on an apartment complex."

What gives? Is it my pony tail or the fact that I open carry?

I'm being asked to leave Grand River Canyon, courtesy of their parent company Griffis Blessing. Cost to myself courtesy of "2 men and a truck," is more than $2,000 dollars (their assessor was here last week).

Yes, I'm being "evicted," though that's not the term they are choosing to use. It's "we've chosen not to renew your lease." Yeah, well, given the fact you after 30 days of written notice requesting a reason as to why you've simply refuse to answer why, you're on the hook for all possible reasons.

I fought for my country, and have owned multiple homes, have never been denied a job, and have served and honorably retired as a veteran officer.

With these folks, all that apparently doesn't matter.

Is it because I instituted a CSPD-sanctioned Neighborhood Watch on the complex a few months after I moved here, in response to a bevy of car break-ins?

If Griffiss "Blessing" cannot stand honest, law-abiding citizens living among their midst, then perhaps we honest, law-abiding citizens should give them far less of our business., as in zilch, zero, nada, none, and move to other apartment complexes which respect the rights for which we've fought over the years.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

It is refreshing to be exposed to sincere thoughtfulness, honest reflection, and humility for a change on this forum - rather than ego contests. It is obviously contagious because the replies to this thread indicate that it is catching on.

People living in so-called civilized environments are prone to behaving like sheep.
Because they behave like sheep - they are regularly "fleeced" by their government and the criminal element that the government is unable to eliminate.

The right to bear arms is much like the right to expression. The two rights actually go hand in hand. One can not long exist without the other. The "open carrier" is in essence a "sheep dog". When the "sheep dog" succeeds in convincing the "sheep" that his/her presence enhances the survival prospects of the "herd" - he/she will be welcomed.

We "sheep dogs" already understand the principle. I see it everyday. I am not molested, disrespected, or preyed upon. I threaten no one, intimidate no one but abusers, potential bullies, and opportunistic predators. I am polite, congenial, deferential, and very respecful of others. I "open carry".

We are all here on planet earth because our ancestors WERE NOT "sheep". Think about that for a moment.

Liberty is taken away a layer at a time - until none remains. It is time to revisit the Meyers decision.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
About a fifth of Colorado's population lives in and around Denver. What is the general view of 2A/OC for this 1/5 of the population? If the voting rolls approximate the population then Denver has the same problem as any state with one or two large urban centers, apathy. Or more aptly, liberal bias. When the voters seem to favor, or more rightly, not disfavor, 2A rights and OC in particular then DPD and the local politicians will abide by the preemption statute.

As to writers in general, a few of my favorite quotes from a well known yet long departed great American thinker.

"It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech."

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."

"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause."

My personal favorite.

"Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it."

The world needs writers, without them we would be forced to think for ourselves.
Aaah Samuel Clemons.