• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hiking with guns for physical training and muscle memory. Help!

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
I have a lot of hikes planed in the up coming weeks. I am training for a 2 week trans sierra hike and I would really like to open carry a hand gun and/or rifle.

Hiking with firearms was a big part of my Marine Corps training and I would like to get back in shape and build some muscle memory with my current firearms.

I've been searching through posts and laws but I just haven't been able to come up with a positive feeling if it is legal or not to do it.

My goal is to come to some sort of form of carry that I can be safe in knowing that where ever I go on any hiking trail in CA I will not be breaking the law.

Right now the only thing that I know will always be legal is a hand gun locked inside of my pack.

Really need some help on this one, and my first trip is this weekend at Laguna mountain in San Diego county.