• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My buddy's lesson around VCU last night.

DJEEPER

I had a buddy call me today. Last night on his way to his girlfriend's apartment, he was approached by 2 guys who were standing on the other side of the road, spaced way out, in the shadows of the parked cars. My buddy was walking across the street when they both started walking towards him. He is a good street smart guy, and picked up on the tactic.
Here is the kicker.... his girlfriend is not very keen on carrying guns around, so he was being polite and left it in his truck. When they started to approach, he quickly turned and ran back to his truck. He retrieved his pistol and put it on. When he came back to the area, the two guys were waiting on him. They started to approach him again, but this time he said "hold it right there, that is a bad idea for you... im carrying". they stopped and backed off saying "oh, we cool...we cool...".

I think he learned a very valuable lesson about selective carrying.....

t33j

Namely, appeasement can get you robbed, severely hurt, or killed and you can't predict when you'll need your gun.

I'll keep mine always, thanks.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not a criticism, but a reminder. Always be the first one to call the police.

In a situation like the OP, all it would take is for our gangbanger buddies to call the cops and report "some dude threatened us with a gun."

And, don't forget, going back to the same area now armed can also be presented to a jury as going looking for trouble if shooting does become necessary. In a situation like in the OP, better to just get in the truck and leave, I'm thinking. After calling the police to report the predatory tactics, of course.

Last edited:

TFred

Not a criticism, but a reminder. Always be the first one to call the police.

In a situation like the OP, all it would take is for our gangbanger buddies to call the cops and report "some dude threatened us with a gun."

And, don't forget, going back to the same area now armed can also be presented to a jury as going looking for trouble if shooting does become necessary. In a situation like in the OP, better to just get in the truck and leave, I'm thinking. After calling the police to report the predatory tactics, of course.
I think you're overlooking a crucial piece of information: "Last night on his way to his girlfriend's apartment..."

I don't think it's likely that he's going to call and say, "Sorry honey, I was on my way over, but there were two thuggie-looking guys out in front of your apartment, so I just left... maybe we can try again next weekend?"

A tad overplayed, yes, but I think you see my point. :)

TFred

ocholsteroc

I had a buddy call me today. Last night on his way to his girlfriend's apartment, he was approached by 2 guys who were standing on the other side of the road, spaced way out, in the shadows of the parked cars. My buddy was walking across the street when they both started walking towards him. He is a good street smart guy, and picked up on the tactic.
Here is the kicker.... his girlfriend is not very keen on carrying guns around, so he was being polite and left it in his truck. When they started to approach, he quickly turned and ran back to his truck. He retrieved his pistol and put it on. When he came back to the area, the two guys were waiting on him. They started to approach him again, but this time he said "hold it right there, that is a bad idea for you... im carrying". they stopped and backed off saying "oh, we cool...we cool...".

I think he learned a very valuable lesson about selective carrying.....

Him being polite almost cost him being robbed. Glad he's okay, Great lesson to learn. Be polite and carry to protect your life and others around you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think you're overlooking a crucial piece of information: "Last night on his way to his girlfriend's apartment..."

I don't think it's likely that he's going to call and say, "Sorry honey, I was on my way over, but there were two thuggie-looking guys out in front of your apartment, so I just left... maybe we can try again next weekend?"

A tad overplayed, yes, but I think you see my point. :)

TFred

I thought about that, and do see your point.

But, realize that if he had shot a robber on the way back the second time, he still wouldn't have made it to his girlfriend's apartment. At least not until after the police preliminaries.

And, think of the poor girlfriend in such a situation. Now she has to listen to the story of his heroics, instead of the originally scheduled...um...interlude. :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
Announcing one's armed status is a good way of getting one's self killed. He'd have done better to just make eye contact and say, "How y'all doin' this evenin'?"

DJEEPER

Announcing one's armed status is a good way of getting one's self killed. He'd have done better to just make eye contact and say, "How y'all doin' this evenin'?"

there is always a way to make a situation better......after the fact. Most times things happen so fast you dont have a chance to sit and ponder about what the best choice of action would be for the best outcome.

45acpForMe

From reading other self defense stories, many a mugging began with a mugger trying to engage the victim in conversation so they could get closer. Don't help them!

While his statement probably could be improved it worked! I would probably say something like, "Back off" but when he told them he was carrying, in my mind that was justification to be able to draw his firearm if they continued in his direction. Of course I am not a lawyer.

I wonder how a person that is suspiciously approaching me would respond to me "requesting" to see their ID? They may high tail it out of there thinking that they were approaching a LEO. :) (Not that I ever want to impersonate a LEO)

Marco

We announce we are armed when we openly carry.
Eye contact and situational awareness is extemely important.

Hope this gentleman learned that leaving your firearm in your car can be a bad thing.
The nice urban fellas could have broken into the gentleman's vehicle and had them a nice pistola or worse....robbed, raped or murdered the gentleman and his GF.

Wouldn't be surprised if his vehicle isn't broken into the next time it is parked overnight.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Called 911 and reported what exactly? That two guys were walking towards him and it made him 'uncomfortable'?

No. The exact tactics described. The odds of that exact coordinated manuver having an innocent explanation are next to none. That was essentially a two-man single-envelopement.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Alright Google has no idea what that means... can you enlighten a guy?

TFred

Sorry about that. I should have realized it wouldn't be recognizeable to everybody.

There are three basic types of infantry assault.
  • direct frontal assault
  • single-envelopment
  • double-envelopment
Direct frontal assault is self-explanatory--troops assault the front of the enemy position.

A single-envelopment is where one group assaults the front, and a second group assaults the side.

A double-envelopment is where one group hits the front, another group hits the right, and another group hits the left.

Google didn't recognize it, I guess, because the term "two-man" is not really a part of the term "single-envelopment."

Last edited:

Blk97F150

No. The exact tactics described. The odds of that exact coordinated manuver having an innocent explanation are next to none. That was essentially a two-man single-envelopement.

Was their 'coordinated manuvers' illegal? What exactly should the police have done once they got there?