• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks "No guns policy"?

Ajetpilot

My wife and I left our familiar territory on the peninsula, and we ventured over to Redmond Town Center to attend a birthday party for one of my granddaughters. I knew I was in unfriendly territory as soon as I got out of my truck when some guy yelled across the parking lot, “Hey, your gun is showing.” I replied with a friendly, “Thank you!”, and we continued on our way.
We arrived about 30 minutes early, so we went into Starbucks to grab a quick cup. After we were seated for five minutes, a young employee approached us and said, “Sir I need to tell you that we have a no guns policy in our store.”
I replied, “Actually, you are mistaken. Starbucks has a corporate policy that they will follow state law, but if you are asking me to leave, I will be glad to do so.”
She said, “No, no. I’ll go check. Enjoy your coffee.”
We stayed anther fifteen minutes and finished our drinks before departing. She never returned.
I have never had as many stares as I had today. Amazing! Is Redmond in a different state? I don’t think I crossed any state lines.

aktion

The sign you passed just northeast of Fife, 'Entering King County' - that may as well be another state. In fact, too bad it isn't. I left that place for many reasons. All of which I maintain.

Tawnos

Huh, I have carried into that store no problem, though I think the RTC policy is anti-self-defense.

amlevin

Every business has at least one of this type employee. They just know it's not accepted in their business. That is until they check with someone who really knows.

The key was in the fact the employee never returned.

Metalhead47

A85FC09D47B51B5F57E93A_Large.jpg

Looks like someone didn't get that memo....

Last edited:

sigfan

I live two blocks from there. I have never seen a no weapons policy in RTC although hearsay is that they don't allow it. Until someone asks me to leave, I will continue to carry -- particularly while on the public sidewalks there. Redmond city council has required that the streets be lined with sidewalks in accordance to RCW 35.69 and therefor the sidewalk is public and requests to leave are unlawful. I would think it would be hard to justify walking on the upper portion/sidewalk of RTW if asked to leave because those are expressly built for access to the upper shops and are not necessary for safe travel along the public streets.

Since Starbucks is on the lower level and has a policy that allows firearms if the state does, and since the sidewalk is public, I would think you wouldn't have an issue here. That said, since Starbucks is set back off of the road, an argument could be made that the sidewalk constructed along the road is public, but you have to cross over private property to get to Starbucks, and that would be tresspassing on RTC's policy in the face of their policy, if they truly have one.

It's a bit tricky but I've never had problems with security or anyone else there. I OC there on a regular basis. However, the stores know me fairly well. At Starbucks there, for instance, I make it a point of having casual conversations.

Edit:
I forgot the point of all this after my late-night rambling. The employee might be aware of RTC's alleged policy and might have been stating that. Upon review with a manager who knew the store's position, they likely decided to leave it up to RTC's security to boot you on their property if they so desired since you were clearly in the store itself.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

You should know better than to try your luck in king county :p I've almost thought about carrying a copy of different stores corporate policies when I go over there just so me and the employee have something we can read together and discuss

Bucks Gun Shop

Yes Dorthy, when you enter King County you are no longer in Kansas... I have seriously considered moving from Puget Sound because of the politics in and around King County... :banghead:

Tawnos

Edit:
I forgot the point of all this after my late-night rambling. The employee might be aware of RTC's alleged policy and might have been stating that. Upon review with a manager who knew the store's position, they likely decided to leave it up to RTC's security to boot you on their property if they so desired since you were clearly in the store itself.

I was over there last night. As far as I can tell, RTC doesn't even have a "no weapons" policy, as it's not listed in their code of conduct (you can see it near the bathrooms outside starbucks). I will try to remember to take a picture the next time I'm there.

amlevin

Just about any major metropolitan area, similar to Seattle, attracts the "moon-bats". I've lived all over the US, as well as in Foreign Countries. Even when you move away from the "looneys" they seem to follow, just like trying to outrun a fart.