• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new compact 9mm

onlurker

I'm looking to change up my compact options and am considering a double stack compact 9mm with about 12 rounds. I've done some poking around on various websites to see what I could come up with and I'm torn between the Taurus Millennium 9mm compact and the XD Subcompact (with an XD(M) in 9mm, I'm sort of leaning towards the XD). Before I officially go to the gun stores, I figured I'd get some insight about compact options in about the $500 range with one catch, no Glocks. I can appreciate them, they're just not comfortable in the hands. So what else should I consider?

therealcombat

The 24/7 pro is the basically an updated millennium pro.

I own both a Millennium Pro 9mm and just bought a 24/7 Pro Compact 45. The 24/7 features a decocker and 3 dot sights. Also, I'd say the quality and fit & finish is better with the 24/7 than on my milpro. I also like the firing pin block design much better on the 24/7. See my post on taurus armed.

Definitely look into the 24/7. CDNN has them for $299 RIGHT NOW.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I love my S&W M&P9c. It is all about how it feels. Go to a local gun store and fondle all the compact 9's they have and go with what feels the best in your hand. Make sure you can test the way the trigger feels. If you're still unsure after that, try and meet up with people who have the one's you're interested in to try it out.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I love my S&W M&P9c. It is all about how it feels. Go to a local gun store and fondle all the compact 9's they have and go with what feels the best in your hand. Make sure you can test the way the trigger feels. If you're still unsure after that, try and meet up with people who have the one's you're interested in to try it out.

Yes the M&Pc is a good choice. The new Ruger LC9 also looks very promising. And then there is the Kahr PM9. However, the Ruger and the Kahr do not meet one of the OP's requirements and that is double stack capacity.

Last edited:

j4l

Not that Im inclined to suggest that caliber to anyone, ever. But, if that's what your considering, I;d second the 24/7 or the SR-C.

onlurker

Yes the M&Pc is a good choice. The new Ruger LC9 also looks very promising. And then there is the Kahr PM9. However, the Ruger and the Kahr do not meet one of the OP's requirements and that is double stack capacity.

To be honest, I'm not entirely put off by single stack capacity as long as I can get it in 7+1. I already have a 709 though, which is why I'm more interested in the double-stackers.

j4l

To be honest, I'm not entirely put off by single stack capacity as long as I can get it in 7+1. I already have a 709 though, which is why I'm more interested in the double-stackers.

If willing to go double-stack, and approx: 12-rounds.Why limit yourself to 9mm? Why not go with a larger,more effective round? Sounds Ironic, but check the pics in my 845 post. My 12+1 round .45 is only 1/16th of an inch wider, or bulkier than my single-stack .25 auto Raven. And even loaded,with it's poly frame,is only a few ounces heavier than the all-(some say pot-metal) metal Raven.
So, the size/weight excuse falls well short of "collective wisdom" anymore.

onlurker

If willing to go double-stack, and approx: 12-rounds.Why limit yourself to 9mm?

I've already got a .40 for my OCW and a Kimber Pro Carry II for my usual casual CCW. A double-stack 9mm would be more of an addition to the collection as a "just because" sort of thing. :p

Aknazer

In regards to the XD and XDm know that compact/sub-compact really only deals with the length of the barrel and grip. They are just as thick as the regular models. So depending on your body type and they type of clothes that you wear, they can be somewhat challenging to properly conceal them.

That said I have an XDm 40 and so long as I properly angle it and don't wear certain shirts I'm able to conceal it. Oh and the 40 and 9 are the same size gun.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I'd suggest the XD(M) 9mm Compact, NOT the sub-compact. The trade off in handling, accuracy and feel are not worth the 'extra' concealability. I would not recommend the .40 in this HG because it is quite a bit more bang and muzzle flip, or so I hear for little in the way of gains in 'stopping power' - you'd do better getting a .45 imo.

I have not shot the .40 XD(M), and am just going by reports.

With the 9mm 3.8 barrel compact, just get the Pierce grip extension and it will fit your hand very well (unless you have much larger or smaller hands). I'd suggest looking at some youtube vids on the various HGs you are considering. There are some very good reviews out there. Try Hickok45's reviews on YT.

$.02

Last edited:

j4l

I'd suggest the XD(M) 9mm Compact, NOT the sub-compact. The trade off in handling, accuracy and feel are not worth the 'extra' concealability. I would not recommend the .40 in this HG because it is quite a bit more bang and muzzle flip, or so I hear for little in the way of gains in 'stopping power' - you'd do better getting a .45 imo.

With the 9mm 3.8 barrel compact, just get the Pierce grip extension and it will fit your hand very well (unless you have much larger or smaller hands). I'd suggest looking at some youtube vids on the various HGs you are considering. There are some very good reviews out there. Try Hickok45's reviews on YT.

$.02

good points again. that irony of folks selecting 9mm/.40 due to some odd concept of .45 having "too much" recoil etc. -it's actually the other-way round. esp. w/ most .40's
seen 1st-hand the abysmal failure of the .40 in street use. rarely,if ever expands properly in tissue.

N4SIR

I love the Sig Sauer p239

sigp239.jpg

also M&P is great as well as CZ

Aknazer

$.02

When shooting both my XDm 40 (with 3.8 barrel) and XD 9SC I haven't really had any issues with recoil or accuracy. In fact my Taurus 738 in .380 is worse to shoot than either of these guns in regards to both accuracy and recoil. I know that the longer barrel makes the gun more accurate, but at the 10 to 15 yard range the "loss" of accuracy really was a non-issue (when I tried shooting at 25 yards my personal accuracy wasn't good enough to comment on); and really for self defense chances are high that you won't be shooting at someone who is more than 10 to 20 yards away.

onlurker

I love the Sig Sauer p239

I currently have a P239 and have to say that I'm a little less than impressed. It's comfortable in the hands for me but the size makes it not as comfortable as a CCW should be IMO. Also it needs the hogue grips and the nature of these grips causes my shirt to continue to stick to the grip creating a few tells. Not saying it's a bad weapon, far from it.

After doing some shopping and range time I was able to make a decision. The SR9 was fantastic and everything I was looking for, however the Taurus PT-111 became the final choice. I thought they were both pretty comparable and I could shoot well enough with both of them, so it ultimately boiled down to price on availability. OTD price on the Taurus was the list price on the Ruger so I couldn't pass on the PT-111.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have a Millenium Pro in .40 that works great so I am sure the 9mm would be a good buy as well. I would also suggest the Beretta 9000S, a slightly older model but it is a great compact 9mm.

scouser

My current favorite to carry (and to shoot) is the Springfield XDM Compact 9mm. I thought the short grip would give me problems and I was all set to order a Pierce extension when I bought the gun, however, I decided to just see what it was like first. I'm glad I did because it was just as easy for me to shoot with the short grip with the 13 round magazine as with the longer grip with the 19 round magazine.

It's a personal decision that only you can make, but my XDM relegated both my 1911 .45 and my .38 wheelgun to living in the safe until 'needed'

Edited to add .. OK I know it's slightly outside of the $500 price the OP mentioned, mine cost $620 including taxes, shipping and transfer fees, which was much better than the $700 plus tax that the store similar to Wander Fountain wanted for the same item

Last edited:

lcw132

Have you looked at the Walther PPS? I just bought one because...
1) It's one of, if not the slimmest 9mm autoloader
2) 6, 7, or 8+1 single stack mags (for the 9mm version)
3) Just over 1lb empty
4) Integral rail
5) Ambidextrious mag release (I'm a lefty)
6) Similar to glocks in function