• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new compact 9mm

cbpeck

Well, I may as well throw my opinion into the mix as well.

I have an XD SC in .40 and I'm able to manage the recoil quite well, though I agree that for some it may be too much. It definitely isn't the gun I enjoy shooting the most, but I don't mind feeding a few boxes through it regularly. The same platform in 9mm would be a great choice for someone seeking greater capacity and/or less recoil, IMO.

About the only gun on the market now that I'd consider swapping my XD SC for is the Sig 239 SAS. It is a sweet gun, and while the grip & slide length are longer than the XD SC, it is still very concealable. The only thing that has held me back is the $$$.

I just can't recommend a Taurus. I'm not bashing them. I just can't do it.

I also can't recommend the Sig 250 because of its DAO trigger & hammer design. I loved that gun, until I pulled the trigger and thought, WTF? It is a surprisingly poorly executed design by Sig, IMO.

district9

There are a lot of good options. You certainly won't go wrong with XDm, but it's probably best to rent a few to find out what you like and shoot best. After all you've already ruled out Glock, presumably on that basis.

jammer

Compact 9mm

there are a lot of good options. You certainly won't go wrong with xdm, but it's probably best to rent a few to find out what you like and shoot best. After all you've already ruled out glock, presumably on that basis.

what is wrong with the glock 26???

NMBill

XD Subcompact

I carry the 3.8 XDm 9mm and the wife has the XD Subcompact. I have little problem concealing the XDm, but the SC is even easier. The SC is accurate, easy to handle and, when cocked and chambered, ready to rock without fumbling with safeties. A pinky extension works nicely with the 13-round mag. Best part about it -- the gun always goes bang, when you pull the trigger. Had one problem, which turned out to be a crimped casing on a round. Other than that, not one malfunction on either of our guns...ever.

9mm has a lot going for it. It's cheaper to shoot, which means lots of practice. I prefer the recoil (what recoil?) characteristics over .40 -- much more controllable for me. (I prefer .45 over .40, in that department.) Both Springfields are back on target in a flash. Good luck with your decision.

tak2w

Spend some time dry-firing them both. I carried the Taurus PT-111 for about 10 years, and it is an easy gun to carry, but I did not like shooting it and was not as accurate as I could be with it because of the long heavy trigger pull. I ended up replacing it with a Glock 19, which is only slightly larger, but with a much better trigger. If I had to choose between those two guns, I would definitely go with the XD.

onlurker

There are a lot of good options. You certainly won't go wrong with XDm, but it's probably best to rent a few to find out what you like and shoot best. After all you've already ruled out Glock, presumably on that basis.

Yes district9, I've handled and fired Glocks and they're awkward for me to handle and manipulate, and my accuracy suffers compared to the other polymer options. It has to be that grip angle and longitudinal gurth, Glock is the only manufacturer I've found that has this combination.

what is wrong with the glock 26???

Aside from the nature of it being a Glock (noted above), it exemplifies the problem I have with a lot of subcompact double stack 9mm pistols. They seem to take the service size pistol and chop down the barrel and grip length and sell it as their answer to what a subcompact should be. Too each their own but for me the shortened grip with the thickness of a service pistol makes it awkward to handle and shoot. Pinky extensions help but the backstrap just ruins the feel and again, accuracy suffered. I'd rather have a bit more length in the grip so I can wrap my entire hand around it. The Taurus seemed to be the better compromise of concealable thickness, magazine capacity, and grip length, and ultimately the best answer for me.

Spend some time dry-firing them both. I carried the Taurus PT-111 for about 10 years, and it is an easy gun to carry, but I did not like shooting it and was not as accurate as I could be with it because of the long heavy trigger pull.

Heavy? I don't think it's heavy at all. It's got a long take-up sure, feels a bit longer than my P226's take-up, but in SA it's feather light. DA is comparable to my Sig, although I actually think it's lighter (certainly feels like it).

Wetworx

My daily carry is a Kel-Tec PF-9 and it is about the smallest 9mm you can find. It's got a great price point, good reliability, and excellent warranty (lifetime). Although it's not a double-stack, it's a damn fine gun. If you haven't already, you should consider looking into it. I carry it in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck and it is as comfortable as can be. Lastly, it is +P rated, so that is an added bonus!

jpjpjp

1911 officers,or commander in every available caliber works for me in a compact type gun.either oc,or cc. typiazly carry a 1911 govt or xd 45 service.

smash29

By all means try out a Ruger SR9c! My Glock 26 was my EDC but as soon as soon as i tried out the SR9 and then the SR9c i knew it was on the way out. Fits my hand 100x better, i'm more accurate with it... What's not to love!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Kel Tec PF9. Slim, light, it works.

in%20hand.jpg

It's like a single-stack Glock... But half the price and it fits in hand nicely. Gun snobs won't like it tho.

Maybe the "SF" series of Glocks. Slim Frame, fits a little better. Some call it "Short Frame" because the front-to-back of the grip is what is actually slimmer, it's not any less 'thick' from side to side...

Or you could buy 2 of the Kel Tecs and still be in your price range.

Last edited:
M

McX

dont discount a Makarov CZ 82 i think it's called. nifty, compact, cheap, reliable, metal- will take a beating, ammo is cheap enough, reasonably small. i carry one at work daily.

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm also looking into my first "Compact" or "Sub-compact" pistol at the moment. I still prefer a full size pistol or most but considering I carry my Glock35 Daily with me, along with 4 loaded clips its getting a bit annoying. Im not sure which to go with as I am a Glock fan, but do want to try others out. I would like a full metal frame compact besides the Poly style as a Glock.

I have nothing against having a Poly style frame but I have this liking to full frames that aren't poly. Still looking but might take me a while considering how picky I am.

amtilton17

Carry Gun Tendencies

I notice in this and several other "carry gun" preference threads, a large majority of you guys gravitate to the Glock, XD and Sig. I was wondering what the general opinion is of the CZ models? Are they reliable? What is the best CZ model?

matthewg123

ruger ruger ruger

I purchased my first carry firearm at a show in Waterville, ME in January of this year; A Ruger LCR .357. A friends girlfriend had a SW .38 with CT grips, and I followed her advice and got the revolver. In terms of weight and size imprint on my torso with a IWB holster, its magic. a T shirt covers it without a second look. In terms of shooting it I have found that all the revolver types are mostly correct: You really need to dedicate to practice to be able to hit your target.

anyways, I know this is about semi autos, so ill cut to the chase.

Last week i was at Kittery Trading Post, and laid eyes on a used Ruger SR9C. handled it next to the Kahr 9mm, and fell in love. small but sturdy, 11 rds, front rail and adjustable sights. Last night i went to the sand pits with a few buddies, and brought both my rugers. the SR9C BLEW ME AWAY. first 10 rounds, in center mass from 20 yards at moderate rate of fire. I'd never shot such a tight group with the LCR! (Im blaming the good shooting on the practice I've been putting in with the revolver!

long story short, Rugers are a B**** to take apart, but lets face it. how often do you have to break it down? made in the USA, and sexy too.

.... but thats just my .02.

Maverick Lee

Opt-Out Members
9mm

I'm looking to change up my compact options and am considering a double stack compact 9mm with about 12 rounds. I've done some poking around on various websites to see what I could come up with and I'm torn between the Taurus Millennium 9mm compact and the XD Subcompact (with an XD(M) in 9mm, I'm sort of leaning towards the XD). Before I officially go to the gun stores, I figured I'd get some insight about compact options in about the $500 range with one catch, no Glocks. I can appreciate them, they're just not comfortable in the hands. So what else should I consider?

How about an Astra A-70....? I carry mine alot. All steel, low recoil, compact.

Attachments

• Astra Starvel1.jpg
    Astra Starvel1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107