• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And than there is this. A little off topic.

Batousaii

But... But....

.. But.. I thought laws were supposed to prevent criminals from being bad and owning guns and ammo and other things, why cant they just follow the law like everyone else ??? -- Oh Wait...You say They are criminals and don't follow laws?? - Thats absurd, who'd ever think something like that?? /Sarcasm off.

- Yeash, to bad, thats allot of nice hardware going to waste now. Sad it was in criminal hands to begin with.

Blk97F150

From the article:

...officers arrested him and, in a search of his bedroom, found 3,600 rounds of ammunition, several large capacity magazines and nine guns.

They make that sound like a lot..... I'm surprised they didn't use the 'A word'.... :eek:

amlevin

From the article:

officers arrested him and, in a search of his bedroom, found 3,600 rounds of ammunition, several large capacity magazines and nine guns.

They make that sound like a lot..... I'm surprised they didn't use the 'A word'.... :eek:

It's what I would call a minimum supply. That's only 400 rounds per weapon.

I find it interesting that a repeat offender like this only got 5 years on a single count. It would have been a fine opportunity to send a message and make 9 counts and 5 years for each.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It's what I would call a minimum supply. That's only 400 rounds per weapon.

I find it interesting that a repeat offender like this only got 5 years on a single count. It would have been a fine opportunity to send a message and make 9 counts and 5 years for each.

Why? For mere possession of a firearm?

I completely agree that he should get the maximum punishment for poaching!

amlevin

Why? For mere possession of a firearm?

I completely agree that he should get the maximum punishment for poaching!

Did you miss the part where he is a convicted felon with previous firearm possession charge(s) as a felon?

The guy is a repeat offender when it comes to violating gun laws. The poaching charge is another issue. I'd like to see him charged with animal cruelty for baiting with donuts ;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Did you miss the part where he is a convicted felon with previous firearm possession charge(s) as a felon?

The guy is a repeat offender when it comes to violating gun laws. The poaching charge is another issue. I'd like to see him charged with animal cruelty for baiting with donuts ;)

I did not miss that part and my question still remains... why should we have laws for mere gun possession?

He was a counterfeiter, served his sentence and because of that, there is a suggestion that his current crime of poaching be enhanced for each firearm he was in possession of?

Poaching is not another issue, it is the crime he was stopped for and cited for in this instance.

sudden valley gunner

I did not miss that part and my question still remains... why should we have laws for mere gun possession?

He was a counterfeiter, served his sentence and because of that, there is a suggestion that his current crime of poaching be enhanced for each firearm he was in possession of?

Poaching is not another issue, it is the crime he was stopped for and cited for in this instance.

Yep I agree and there are cases were non violent "drug" dealers (hippy pot dealers) are offered guns for trade by undercover (entrapment) officers and then found guilty of committing a "gun crime" although the gun was no part of the crime. :banghead:

amlevin

Yep I agree and there are cases were non violent "drug" dealers (hippy pot dealers) are offered guns for trade by undercover (entrapment) officers and then found guilty of committing a "gun crime" although the gun was no part of the crime. :banghead:

This post just begs the reply "Can you please Cite at least ONE case were this occurred?"

Anecdotes don't count.

amlevin

There are essentially two questions here. If we are to have gun laws, especially those that prohibit felons from possessing firearms, should they be enforced? If they are not to be enforced then they need to be repealed, not just ignored by the authorities.

If this individual was convicted of counterfeiting he may well have been able to have his "rights" restored upon completion of his sentence. Apparently he was either not able to or chose not to.

Yes, the poaching was the reason for his arrest. The discovery of the firearms was an additional indication that he doesn't follow the law(s). The idea behind prohibiting them to own firearms is based on the belief that people like this, who disregard laws in general, don't need to be loose in society with a firearm. I seriously doubt that this sentiment in society, and among lawmakers, will go away anytime soon.

why should we have laws for mere gun possession?

Why not just leave out "gun possession" from this question and substitute just about any law. Someone can always make an argument against just about any law, especially those who are affected.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There are essentially two questions here. If we are to have gun laws, especially those that prohibit felons from possessing firearms, should they be enforced? If they are not to be enforced then they need to be repealed, not just ignored by the authorities.

If this individual was convicted of counterfeiting he may well have been able to have his "rights" restored upon completion of his sentence. Apparently he was either not able to or chose not to.

Yes, the poaching was the reason for his arrest. The discovery of the firearms was an additional indication that he doesn't follow the law(s).

Certainly this is the question to consider, repeal the silly possession by a felon laws after sentence served. If they are deemed to dangerous to be returned to society then keep them locked up permanently.

hermannr

I tend to agree with Gogodawgs, I think VIOLENT fellons should just be executed, not put away for life. I think Life in prison is truly cruel punishment. (to the offender as well as to society's pocketbook)

the rest, after they have served their time, should be free to mend their ways and join society. It is like the old movie "Branded". You serve your time now, but you have been "branded" as a felon and never can truly rejoin society.

There was a case of a young Mexican girl that got pregnant, she had been living with her boyfriend, with her parents knowledge...unfortunately she was under the age of legal consent, and the boyfriend was over 21. They were on their way to Mexico and get married (totally legal for them to marry there)...

Now the state of WA gets to support the young woman and her child, and the young man gets to spend many years in prison, and is labled a "sex offender" for the rest of his life...where is the "justice" in that???? (also, as that is a felony, the young man will never be able to own a firearm in the US....do you really think he will be a danger to society if he goes hunting, or shoots down at your range or even carries a weapon to protect himself and his family????)

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Amlevin:
This post just begs the reply "Can you please Cite at least ONE case were this occurred?"

Anecdotes don't count.

I know folks it happened to here in B'ham hippy ville.

But here's one that has made it's way to The SCOTUS

http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2007/2007_06_571

Notice the Misuse of the word "use" by the prosecutor, there can be no justice if the "justice" system is abusing it's own power.

And if you research there are other cases too. Yep welcome to entrapment USA. 5% of world population 25% world's prisoners. We have a system were prosecutor's want wins and convictions at all costs your guilt or innocence does not matter to them. ( Not all but that is now the prevailing culture) Using entrapment techniques to "maximize" the number of felonies is common among these "sting" operations, and very immoral.

Last edited:

FireStar M40

Sounds Like A Real Small Collection To Me. No Big Deal.

The news article said in part..

Instead, officers arrested him and, in a search of his bedroom, found 3,600 rounds of ammunition, several large capacity magazines and nine guns. Also found were several police patches, a set of body armor and a Kevlar helmet.

And the news article's point is.. what..!!..? :confused:

I've got 3 - 4 bricks of 22's.. so there's a couple of thousand rounds right there. Between my M40 and other firearms, etc. I've probably got another couple of thousand rounds at least.. which doesn't include 25 - 30 pounds of Goex FFFG BP and pounds upon pounds (several hundred rounds), of Hornady 44 cal .454 round lead balls that I shoot SASS (Cowboy) with. I almost forgot over 2,000 (4 boxes) of combined Remington and CCI #10 and #11 percussion caps.

I have no doubt that some of you here would put my small collection and ammo amount to shame.. especially if you do reloading. One of the SASS Posse members (who also reloads), shoots Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. His idea of being low on ammo is anything around 5,000 thousand rounds or less.. and that's just for his shotgun.

3,600 rounds of ammunition, several large capacity magazines and nine guns.

Other than this guy not being able to legally possess firearms/ammo, my question is (as to the above).. "So What"..!!..?

FireStar M40

sharkey

Certainly this is the question to consider, repeal the silly possession by a felon laws after sentence served. If they are deemed to dangerous to be returned to society then keep them locked up permanently.

Agreed for the most part. None of his crimes were violent in nature so there is no reason for him to be a prohibited possessor.

If time is served then rights should be restored. If on parole, well, I haven't put much thought into it.