• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry? Forget it. Wear it out in the open. - News Article

eye95

The link did not work for me.

This paper must do things weird. I had to search for the story. I found it and tried to post the link. It also would not work.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Snip

Now that a concealed-carry law has failed to pass in the state Legislature, it’s time to consider another option: open carry.
If the purpose of such a law is to provide personal protection and deter crime, carrying a gun where everyone can see it is obviously more effective.

Unlike concealed-carry, wearing a weapon in a hip holster sends a clear signal that you are armed and prepared to fight back.
A bad guy will not mistake you for some defenseless victim. And, should he ignore the obvious, the citizen carrying a weapon in the open would be in a better position to use it.

--Moderator Edit--

RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
...or laws in general.

No suprise a "news paper" in Chitcago isn't letting links to this unpopular (to moonbats) opinion get posted. Way too much common sense for a liberal to tolerate.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Umm. In the interest of full disclosure...

SNIP continued for full context of article

--Moderator Edit--No link, no quote.

RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

Here's his Bio.
Phil Kadner writes a general news column that appears on page 2 of the
Southtown Star five times a week. The newspaper covers the southern suburbs
of Chicago and South Side of Chicago.
In 2010, Kadner received a lifetime achievement award from the Chicago Headline Club. He received a Studs Terkel Award from the Community Media Workshop in 2002 for his “longstanding excellence in reporting.”
Kadner has also received the Illinois Press Association’s Freedom of the Press Award for his work in creating a new Illinois Freedom of Information Act and public access counselor’s office within the attorney general’s office.
Kadner has received numerous awards from the Associated Press, Illinois Press Association and Chicago Headline Club for column writing. He received an ethics in journalism award from the Chicago Headline Club in 2003.
Columns by Kadner exposing corruption in the Dixmoor Park District resulted in four park district officials being sent to prison and abolition of the park district. Another series of columns about the plight of the homeless in the suburbs resulted in the development of a permanent shelter for the homeless in Country Club Hills, with groundbreaking set to begin later this year.
In 2004, Kadner was inducted into the Northern Star student newspaper hall of fame at Northern Illinois University where he received a bachelor’s degree in journalism. (Columnist Panel)

Thanks for the article.

Freedom First

Not worth the trouble.

If they cannot provide a link that works?... Ok. Suffice to say that Phil Kadner is not really that excited about OC in Chi-town.

sharkey

I did not like the article. His thoughts seemed incoherent, he rambled and wavered.

IMHO

eye95

Ahhh.

When I cut-and-pasted the link, the software took the period at the end of the url as the period at the end of the sentence and not a character in the url (a feature that actually prevents a lot of links from being corrupted). Likely, the same thing happened when the OP posted his link.

Good detective work there, sharkey! Thanks for posting the correct link.

N605TW

Activist Member
I found the comments about wearing bandoleers a jab at the "its going to be the wild west" theme that is so popular. It made me nervous thinking about the authors mind set when talking about the need for cameras and metal detectors everywhere. The most shocking thing is the authors apparent willingness to kill for a wristwatch. This article does more harm than good.

since9

Campaign Veteran
For a layman, I found his thoughts to transcend the vast majority of thoughts on this forum who claim another's thoughts can't transcend their own.

Poppycock. If you maintain otherwise, you're an arrogant fool.

Yet some still ascribe to the arrogant fool status, despite their being labeled as such...

A pity. Everyone here knows precisely who they are.

FMs, you'd think they'd have given up the ghost, quit by now, but they keep heaping logical abuse on themselves, in a manner against which there ought to be a law against such self-abasement!

Sadly...

Out. The system's corrupt. The people are corrupt. The former message forum members are corrupt.

I am NOT corrupt. Live is. Far too many folks forget that in the end, it's still about finding the love of one's life, making a baby or two, and securing that dream WHICH is ENTIRELY secureable!

Yes, it's a steep road, but it's doable.

Talk to you soon. Please keep the lines open.

sharkey

What are you on? I mean, what are you going on about?

Between you and the author of the afore mentioned article I'm beginning to think I've lost all comprehension skills. None of you are making any sense.

For a layman, I found his thoughts to transcend the vast majority of thoughts on this forum who claim another's thoughts can't transcend their own.

Poppycock. If you maintain otherwise, you're an arrogant fool.

Yet some still ascribe to the arrogant fool status, despite their being labeled as such...

A pity. Everyone here knows precisely who they are.

FMs, you'd think they'd have given up the ghost, quit by now, but they keep heaping logical abuse on themselves, in a manner against which there ought to be a law against such self-abasement!

Sadly...

Out. The system's corrupt. The people are corrupt. The former message forum members are corrupt.

I am NOT corrupt. Live is. Far too many folks forget that in the end, it's still about finding the love of one's life, making a baby or two, and securing that dream WHICH is ENTIRELY secureable!

Yes, it's a steep road, but it's doable.

Talk to you soon. Please keep the lines open.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Lol, Sharkey! It was intended in the same somewhat unintelligible spirit of the referenced article i.e. a spoof.

I understood the article, though, and liked the idea of legalizing open carry throughout Illinois.

XD40coyote

Chicago lost it's collective brain a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

These buttheads should try to tell me that those yutes in the Dan Ryan woods just wanted to be buddies with 19 yr old me and my 4-5 year old cousin, that I must clearly have full blown aspergers to think their body language meant " oh boy, juicy pickin's, what bad things can we do to these 2 girls?". Yeah like all my years of being bullied and learning bully body language was fake. They weren't even fazed by the big dog I was walking. Jeezus, in Baltimore such yutes with nasty faces would show me the "fear signal" if they saw me with a big dog- any breed of big dog. Chitcago yutes is badass- must be all those years of heavy gun control.

Dreamer

I don't know which is more disgusting--that this snarky article is being discussed on a supposedly pro-2A forum like OCDO, or that the majority of the people on OCDO that are commenting on it don't seem to get that it is satire, and VERY snarky satire at that...

This Sun writer is NOT pro-2A. He is an anti of the worst kind--a snarky SOB who uses make-believe scenarios, Hollywood imagery and gun-control fallacies to try and make his point in a veiled, elegant, and comical way.

Do you people really not get what he's doing?

WTF?