Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Sound suppressors in CT

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    156

    Sound suppressors in CT

    Hello all,

    How many of you have purchased sound suppressors in CT and what was the process like? I'm aware of the BATF procedure/tax stamp, etc... But how feasible is it at the local level (if required, I'm unclear on this) to get local law enforcement/judge/first selectman to sign off on? I'm not planning on getting one anytime time soon, but it may be something for the future. For me, it would strictly be a novelty item to add to the collection for fun...Maybe for a .22 rifle or an AR-15.

    Sorry, this isn't OC related but I thought it relevant to CT in general. Moderators: please move my post if you feel otherwise.

    Thank you.
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

  2. #2
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    I am definitely not an expert here, but.......

    I inquired about one at a local shop for my Walther P22 and they said pretty much the federal tax stamp does it.

    But, I may be wrong.......

    I am curious to know as well.

    Is there any caliber limits? Most of the supressors I see are .22, but I did see one on a FN Tactical 45 that looked rather swanky!

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524
    A revocable living trust, an LLC, or an S-corp registering as the owner does away with the need for a CLEO signature on your Form 1 or Form 4 for an NFA weapon.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    A revocable living trust, an LLC, or an S-corp registering as the owner does away with the need for a CLEO signature on your Form 1 or Form 4 for an NFA weapon.
    Hef,

    Thanks, that's interesting. If my LLC ever got audited, it would be quite the conversation with the IRS accountant when he/she came across the receipt for the suppressor. I guess as long as you pay your sales & use tax they don't care....
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. View Post
    Hef,

    Thanks, that's interesting. If my LLC ever got audited, it would be quite the conversation with the IRS accountant when he/she came across the receipt for the suppressor. I guess as long as you pay your sales & use tax they don't care....
    Form an entity for the sole purpose of collecting NFA weapons. That will help protect your NFA assets from any business problems that may arise (civil suits, tax issues, etc). Remember, as assets of your business they can be seized.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    Form an entity for the sole purpose of collecting NFA weapons. That will help protect your NFA assets from any business problems that may arise (civil suits, tax issues, etc). Remember, as assets of your business they can be seized.
    Here is how it works.

    First, if you buy from a dealer, they will create all the paperwork and shepherd you through the process. So you don't need to really know anything.

    I STRONGLY recommend talking to "big Gary" at Newington Gun Exchange. He is a good guy and knows a lot.

    The first NFA item I purchased was done via an individual purchase. I had to get my chief LEO to sign off on it that there weren't any laws prohibiting possession in my town.

    I also had to submit the standard stuff. (I believe finger prints and a photo, but its been a while so I forget)

    It was a big pain in the ass even though my CLEO didn't have any problem with the transfer.
    I personally know people for whom the CLEO refused to sign off even though there were not any statutes prohibiting possession in their town.

    So for all subsequent NFA transactions, I set up a revocable trust for the sole purpose of owning NFA firearms.
    An SCorp or LLC will work also, but a trust is MUCH easier, and it does not involve any yearly fees.

    Now, I can do a form 4 (transfer) or a form 1 (if I want to make a standard rifle into an SBR) in about 20 minutes. NO CLEO signoff, no photo, no fingerprints.

    Again, this is a convenience for me. My local cops don't have a problem with this stuff and are happy to do a set of prints. But if you live in a place that tries to make this stuff difficult, then a trust is the ONLY way to go.

    OK. So the next question is how do you do a trust.

    The answer is that it depends. If you want to own a suppressor or two and maybe register an AR lower to make an SBR, then you might want to use Quicken Willmaker. Its cheap, and the ATF seems to approve trusts made with it.

    Because I knew I'd end up owning a bunch of stuff, I spent the money on having an Atty set up my trust. I didn't want there to be trouble down the road after I die.

    So now my trust owns all my NFA firearms.

    Also, the trust makes it easier for you to let your friends borrow your NFA firearms. Very simply, as the Settlor of the trust, you make your friend a trustee. Then they can legally possess the NFA items.

    It paid dividends for a friend who went through a nasty divorce. He wanted to move all his guns out of the house. The NFA stuff would have presented a problem if it weren't for the trust. He simply added a friend to the trust and moved all the NFA stuff out of the house.

    Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

    Here's some porn for your enjoyment. Its only a M11/9 with a Lage upper and a YHM suppressor. But with the .22 kit in it its just as much fun to shoot and cheap enough so I don't think about money. Lets face it, a machine gun is a nothing but a toy intended to put a smile on the face of anyone who uses it):

    Last edited by dcmdon; 05-14-2011 at 10:25 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Here is how it works.

    First, if you buy from a dealer, they will create all the paperwork and shepherd you through the process. So you don't need to really know anything.

    I STRONGLY recommend talking to "big Gary" at Newington Gun Exchange. He is a good guy and knows a lot.

    The first NFA item I purchased was done via an individual purchase. I had to get my chief LEO to sign off on it that there weren't any laws prohibiting possession in my town.

    I also had to submit the standard stuff. (I believe finger prints and a photo, but its been a while so I forget)

    It was a big pain in the ass even though my CLEO didn't have any problem with the transfer.
    I personally know people for whom the CLEO refused to sign off even though there were not any statutes prohibiting possession in their town.

    So for all subsequent NFA transactions, I set up a revocable trust for the sole purpose of owning NFA firearms.
    An SCorp or LLC will work also, but a trust is MUCH easier, and it does not involve any yearly fees.

    Now, I can do a form 4 (transfer) or a form 1 (if I want to make a standard rifle into an SBR) in about 20 minutes. NO CLEO signoff, no photo, no fingerprints.

    Again, this is a convenience for me. My local cops don't have a problem with this stuff and are happy to do a set of prints. But if you live in a place that tries to make this stuff difficult, then a trust is the ONLY way to go.

    OK. So the next question is how do you do a trust.

    The answer is that it depends. If you want to own a suppressor or two and maybe register an AR lower to make an SBR, then you might want to use Quicken Willmaker. Its cheap, and the ATF seems to approve trusts made with it.

    Because I knew I'd end up owning a bunch of stuff, I spent the money on having an Atty set up my trust. I didn't want there to be trouble down the road after I die.

    So now my trust owns all my NFA firearms.

    Also, the trust makes it easier for you to let your friends borrow your NFA firearms. Very simply, as the Settlor of the trust, you make your friend a trustee. Then they can legally possess the NFA items.

    It paid dividends for a friend who went through a nasty divorce. He wanted to move all his guns out of the house. The NFA stuff would have presented a problem if it weren't for the trust. He simply added a friend to the trust and moved all the NFA stuff out of the house.

    Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

    Here's some porn for your enjoyment. Its only a M11/9 with a Lage upper and a YHM suppressor. But with the .22 kit in it its just as much fun to shoot and cheap enough so I don't think about money. Lets face it, a machine gun is a nothing but a toy intended to put a smile on the face of anyone who uses it):

    Thanks so much for the info, this really helps. It looks like I will be going the revocable trust route for all of the above mentioned reasons.

    Great photo too! As you say, something like this really is just an expensive toy....I bet it is a lot of fun to shoot.

    Thanks again.
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    You are very welcome.

    Here's a clip of a friend who lives on the Upper West side having some fun with it.
    The M11/9 with a Lage Max-11 upper with or without a .22 kit is a great toy.

    As its being fired here, its got the .22 kit. The mag holds 40 rounds. The suppressor is a 9mm YHM Cobra threaded 1/2x28. Its a very versatile suppressor because it can be taken apart and cleaned. That makes it ok to use with .22s. You typically don't have to clean centerfire suppressors, but do need to clean rimfire ones. So most 9mms can't be cleaned, but this one can. Which is nice.

    Its actually very quiet despite the exit aperture sized for a 9mm round because the can's large volume for .22 use seems to more than make up for it. The noise you hear is the supersonic crack of the bullet. With subsonics its much much quieter. But the subsonics seem to dirty up the M11 much faster so I don't bother. Its still hearing safe without muffs with the supersonic Remington value pack from walmart.

    The thing I love about this setup is that it brings full auto down to a price that most of us can afford. Think about it this way. That 40 round mag of .22 cost me about $1.75. In 9mm that would be about $9.

    http://youtu.be/qU1XMqsJQro
    Last edited by dcmdon; 05-15-2011 at 10:48 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    There is a little bit about this in the current "American Handgunner",

    July/August 2011 page 24.

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1
    Park City Tactical in Bridgeport is selling suppressed Ruger MKIII pistols. When I was speaking with the owner a week or so ago, he said that all that is necessary is to pay a transfer tax to the ATF for $200 on top of the cost of suppressor.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by griffinj View Post
    he said that all that is necessary is to pay a transfer tax to the ATF for $200 on top of the cost of suppressor.
    Plus ATF paperwork, CLEO sign off or a trust, and around 6 months to wait...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    You're making it sound worse than it is.

    Yes, you need to do that stuff. But the dealer will print out all the proper paperwork for you so you just walk in and ask them to sign on the X.

    If they give you crap you either push harder or make an end run with a revocable trust.

    Once submitted, the wait is about 3 months for a form 4 transfer.

    If you are going to get an integrally suppressed Ruger, make sure that it can be disassembled for cleaning. .22 suppressors get filled with vaporized lead that re-condenses on the suppressor.

    Don

    p.s. I know someone who had a hard time getting the resident trooper sign off on a can. So he did a simple Quicken Willmaker trust. After he got it he sent the Trooper a photo of himself with the can and the approved "stamped" form 4.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 05-25-2011 at 05:32 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    You're making it sound worse than it is.
    I have never done it and I don't pretend to be an expert at all, I am only pointing out that it is not simply a 200 dollar tax at the gun counter and you walk out with a suppressed firearm.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    It can be nearly that simple with a revocable trust.

    Fill out the form, send in the check and wait.

    No fingerprints, no CLEO signoff, no nothing.

    However, your point is well taken. These forms can be intimidating when you first run across them.
    After you've done a few, you start considering putting things like "for defensive purposes against the un-dead" in the box that asks why you want a machine gun.
    I once put "so I don't wake up my kids" on a form 4 for a suppressor transfer.

    Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 05-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1
    Hi all,

    Thanks for your input. Reading your info has encouraged me to look into creating a trust for this reason. But I have a technical question and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Hopefully I won't be out of luck because of this.

    I would like to create the trust so that I can possess a suppressor and store the suppressor with trusted relatives (sportsmen) in CT. However, I live just across the border in NY. I don't want to do anything illegal -- I also don't want to spend money on the trust process and then be shot down in the final stages of approval because I live in NY.

    Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Or can you point me to someone, like an NFA dealer in south west CT who may know?

    Any information or even thoughts would be appreciated.

    Dave

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Sound suppressors in CT

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I have never done it and I don't pretend to be an expert at all, I am only pointing out that it is not simply a 200 dollar tax at the gun counter and you walk out with a suppressed firearm.
    You are correct. I have a registered SBR that I made. I waited 5 months on my Form 1. Process is the same for all NFA weapons.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Sound suppressors in CT

    Quote Originally Posted by YouHanoiMe View Post
    Hi all,

    Thanks for your input. Reading your info has encouraged me to look into creating a trust for this reason. But I have a technical question and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Hopefully I won't be out of luck because of this.

    I would like to create the trust so that I can possess a suppressor and store the suppressor with trusted relatives (sportsmen) in CT. However, I live just across the border in NY. I don't want to do anything illegal -- I also don't want to spend money on the trust process and then be shot down in the final stages of approval because I live in NY.

    Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Or can you point me to someone, like an NFA dealer in south west CT who may know?

    Any information or even thoughts would be appreciated.

    Dave
    All Class 3 weapons must be transferred through Class 3 dealers across state lines, then to you. I don't know what restrictions there are in NY but you are bound by them. To transport an NFA weapon across state lines as a registrant you need an approved 5320.20.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Naugatuck CT
    Posts
    90
    I created a general LLC, Naugatuck Chief of Police wouldn't sign the papers reason "I do not want silencers in my town" took him six months to get me a piece of paper to say that, after I threatened to sue, and that was after they made me come in to talk with a detective.

    I didn't know about the trust I made an LLC.

    easy just sign a couple pieces of papers dealer did everything else.

    And silencers are quite but louder than the movies like smacking a hammer.
    Also you need subsonic ammo if you want it real quite. Silencers don't silence the supersonic boom.
    However shooting normal .22 longs in a pistol the bullet doesn't have enough time to get supersonic so it is quite.
    Some guns come with threaded barrels. I have the Walther P22.
    I also got a bolt action rifle and had the barrel threaded, that needs subsonic. Now I see some come threaded.
    I have the AAC Pilot which is nice because it is small I can still use my normal sights.

    X-Arms in Naugatuck is class 3
    I used tactical arms in Torrington I believe now he runs a shooting range around there.

    My next gun is the FNP-45 tactical then a 45 cal silencer.
    45 are heavy naturally subsonic ammo.

    For the AR your going to have to find subsonic to make it worth while.

    Some silencers use stronger material for full auto rating.
    and some silencers can be taken apart to clean which I wish I got.
    You need one for each caliper but some manufacturers have different end plates so you can use the same silencer for different calipers.

    Hope that helps.
    So nice to shoot without ears plugs.

    You should get this


    But I want this for my next gun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf1Sbzomgo4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEFIANCE-HPS--GSCK45ACP-3.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	9438  
    Last edited by customcreationllc; 10-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stratford, CT
    Posts
    9
    Sergeant, all NFA items that are legal in CT are now Shall-issue. No more CLEO sign off requirement:

    http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/25/a...#axzz1t9W89GIY

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by CTMarine87 View Post
    Sergeant, all NFA items that are legal in CT are now Shall-issue. No more CLEO sign off requirement:

    http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/25/a...#axzz1t9W89GIY
    I'm getting a blank on that link, goes to ammoland but no info.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    125
    Would anyone happen to have an approximate cost all said and done with creating a trust?

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Sound suppressors in CT

    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    Would anyone happen to have an approximate cost all said and done with creating a trust?
    I think it's about $300 on LegalZoom.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108
    IANAL and I have no personal experience in NFA trusts, but I did do some Googling and there seems to be a group out there (lawyers? for example: http://ctgunlawyer.com/nfa_trusts.html) who say that standard trusts may not do what you expect them to do but you won't know that until the SHTF for some reason.

    I haven't decided to make the jump but if and when I do I think I will get some legal advice to make sure I've protected my investment. But I'm a litle overly cautious about some things.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    156
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It looks like I need to do some further research to iron out the details of the trust (& how it functions) before I proceed. I'll post pictures if I ever go forward with a purchase. For now, I'm looking at the Sparrow suppressor from: http://www.silencerco.com - I like the idea of the Osprey suppressor as well for a .45 ACP pistol...
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: Sound suppressors in CT

    Quote Originally Posted by CTMarine87 View Post
    Sergeant, all NFA items that are legal in CT are now Shall-issue. No more CLEO sign off requirement:

    http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/25/a...#axzz1t9W89GIY
    Has this been enacted? I can't find any reports of this becoming official. Just the original "rumors" from April.

    Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •