• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Expandable Batons, Legal or illegal in NC?

Carry24/7

Ok, I have seen a few post on here that say some carry expandable batons. Is it legal in NC to do so? I have googled and looked at some laws and I have come to the conclusion that they are illegal to carry. But if I'm wrong can you point it out to me.

aosailor

from my understanding of the laws (IANAL) as long as you OC a weapon its fine. It is illegal to carry concealed weapons in NC. A CHP is only for handguns. If you do wish to carry different types of weapons ie. baton, brass knuckles, taser; it must be openly

Dreamer

"AOSailor" is correct. Collapsable batons are legal to carry in NC as long as you don't conceal them.

Also, you can't carry them at all on K-12 property, or on University and college property--at all--not even in your car, technically. Just like ANY knife that is not specifically a maintenence tool or for instructional use is illegal on university and college property...

Apparently, our legislators in Raleigh WANT to create target-rich environments for thugs and criminals at our institutions of higher learning by COMPLETELY disarming all the law-abiding members of our college communities. The only thing that is legal for self-defense on college property in NC is pepper spray, and even THAT is frowned upon by many administrators. That's why we have stuff like this happening:

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/...idnapped_At_Gunpoint_On_Campus_120642654.html