• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is part of the whole problem

Ctclassic

I was looking through our local want ad publication this past Tuesday and ran across this ad for a guy thats offering pistol permit classes. As you can see, he has written his ad in such a way as to communicate to the public that Connecticut is a conceal-only state. Before you beat him up too bad, I did take the liberty to call him and he claims he "knew" Connecticut was an open carry state but he," didn't want to alarm his the public". I must say the conversation lasted about 20 minutes and we exchanged e-mail addresses and phone numbers and have since hooked him up with this site and CCDL, as well as a couple of others. Overall I think the man means well, however I believe he needs to be alittle more "in tune" with what the 2nd Amendment is all about.

Ok, because I'm not as savy with this damn 'puter as I thought I was, go to www.shopperturnpike.com click on, view current issue and go to page 89.

Last edited:

Rich B

We have plenty of people in CT who walk around talking about CCW this and that and how they have or want a concealed carry permit.

The only thing we can do is keep putting the information out there and calling people on their ignorance. Eventually the truth and the facts will see more daylight.

Ctclassic

I know Rich, the most discouraging issue I have is that this kind of inexcusable ignorance has been plaguing opencarry since I got my permit in 1985, when the class I was in, was told the very same thing!

KIX

I get frustrated by this all the time.

As an instructor, I point students to the statutes and let them take a look.

I warn them that not all towns are actually educated as to the facts, but it is gaining more and more acceptance the more we are exercising our rights.

I also usually tell them to look at my permit. Where does it say concealed?

Most LEO's I've talked to so far have been pretty decent about the discussion.

This, sadly, is one of many issues I have with instructors, like:

Not actually performing a real firearm cleaning
shooting only ten shots on a .22
zero discussion as to the permitting process
no knowledge of their own towns quirks in the process
not using pistol and revolver in class

There are more, but those are some of my biggest gripes.

Jonathan

dcmdon

I now cover the statutes and review Goldberg and some of Rich B's encounters.

I also discuss what I call "casual carry". Not open, but not 100% concealed either. Casual carry has opened up things so people who would otherwise have a mousegun in their pocket, now carry a proper defensive gun in an OWB under a t-shirt.

KIX

You mean I stand out with my tucked in T-shirts and my Hawaiian shirts????

Decided to try IWB this spring, actually quite comfortable. Use the Hawaiian shirt for cover. They are actually quite comfortable as well.

Sad part, I know more instructors that are indeed legit, but the few idiots that either dispel misinformation or think nothing but dollars are indeed a detriment to the service we provide.

I was at a store yesterday where a person behind the counter actually told a customer from out of state that open carry laws were vague and you will get arrested for "disturbing the public".

I set the guy straight afterwards, but.... I hate when not only do they give bad information, but aren't willing to listen to someone who knows what the laws are.

Irony, I was just returning from the BFPE hearing.

Jonathan

hobie16

I see on the outposts web site what arre talking about. I took my class there and everything they did was great ..3 revolvers and 5 semis to choose from for live fire. Lots of cleaning info. But carol didn't really talk about open carry much... she certainly didn't call it a concealed permit but advised us to get more info when I mentioned it. I have been lurking on here way beforre I took my class so I had all my q's answered

Ctclassic

...HELP!! I got this back as a reply from The Outpost.....I would suggest that you are right as far as what is printed on the permit. However, I would suugest to you that open carry in CT. is at the very least frowned upon. We do know the laws, but we are not lawyers, and will continue to give advice to the best of our ability.
The laws in Ct. are grey at best and confusing at times, or goal is to keep our customers from being test cases.
Carl
owner

THE OUTPOST

and they have CCDL pamphets on the counter too!!! Please consider emailing or visiting this place to advise.

Rich B

...HELP!! I got this back as a reply from The Outpost.....I would suggest that you are right as far as what is printed on the permit. However, I would suugest to you that open carry in CT. is at the very least frowned upon. We do know the laws, but we are not lawyers, and will continue to give advice to the best of our ability.
The laws in Ct. are grey at best and confusing at times, or goal is to keep our customers from being test cases.
Carl
owner

THE OUTPOST

and they have CCDL pamphets on the counter too!!! Please consider emailing or visiting this place to advise.

They can teach whatever they want about open carry, but the fact of the matter is that they are plain wrong. There is no such thing as a 'Concealed Carry Permit' in CT.

Ctclassic

I know Rich, it's just that I'm trying to do what "I" can do for 'the cause'. I'm having the same go-round with a guy, Rick at Valley Firearms. Chalk it up for, inexcusable ignorance I guess. This guy at Outpost hasn't impressed me from the day he opened, quite honestly for a multitude of reasons.

Rich B

I know Rich, it's just that I'm trying to do what "I" can do for 'the cause'. I'm having the same go-round with a guy, Rick at Valley Firearms. Chalk it up for, inexcusable ignorance I guess. This guy at Outpost hasn't impressed me from the day he opened, quite honestly for a multitude of reasons.

Well I applaud you for doing something for the cause, but some people are just ignorant. Let the dollar do the talking for these guys who want to teach erroneous material in their courses.

They won't change, and they have the right to teach what they want. We should just do our best to let people know who they should not go to for training.

Jay

I was visiting some friends in CT about two weekends ago we had "the" discussion. We were talking about open carry and the CT permit. They both started arguing well the permit is CCW only. I was like do you have your permits? They both said, "Yes". I said, "Take them out and show me where it says conceal on it". They were both scratching their heads when they couldn't find it. I then told them to go to opencarry.org and stop being brainwashed

Rich B

I was visiting some friends in CT about two weekends ago we had "the" discussion. We were talking about open carry and the CT permit. They both started arguing well the permit is CCW only. I was like do you have your permits? They both said, "Yes". I said, "Take them out and show me where it says conceal on it". They were both scratching their heads when they couldn't find it. I then told them to go to opencarry.org and stop being brainwashed

I had this argument with an officer in Old Saybrook who arrogantly thought the same thing.

http://withregardstorights.com/post...on-encounter-in-Old-Saybrook-on-10-16-10.aspx

http://withregardstorights.com/post/2010/10/16/Illegal-detainment-in-Old-Saybrook-at-Starbucks.aspx

Last edited:

hobie16

Yea good post Jay. I have done the same thing to most of my friends with permits "Let me see where it says concealed on your permit."
It is too bad that they are misinformed about open carry at Outpost. The laws are not grey, there is no law against it so it is legal. I went there for my class because it was very local for me and convenient. Carol said pretty much same thing here husband said about them not being lawyers and to read up on info and make our own decisions. Mind you this is an NRA safety course where there don't really go into that much law. She did try to touch on it even though it is not part of the NRA info she is supposed to go by. As an NRA instructor, she is supposed to teach to have the gun unloaded until its ready for use, which she obviously tells us is useless for self defense.
I hope they change their website, that is misleading, and it is part of the whole problem.
As in many of these posts, we do need for more people to become aware that is is okay and legal to open carry. I am still waiting on my permit, but should be in soon and when it does after I get comfortable with my firearm I will cc and oc. And believe me, I will be hitting you guys up (especially Rich, you live kind of close to me) so I have someone to do it with.
I hope word is spreading little by little. And I hope the number of people from CT on this board is increasing (how do we find that out?)

KIX

I've gone as far as to actually show people the BFPE site where they clearly state that open carry is not illegal.

Many flat out say it is wrong...... the STATE and BFPE, Office of Legislative Research were all wrong, and they were right that open carry is illegal.

Some people clearly either have a closet bias they don't want to shake or are delusional.

Either way, they are just plain wrong.

Jonathan

Ctclassic

Just as a side note to my original post, I was adviced that during my phone conversation with the gentleman that advertised his pistol permit class in the Shoppersguide/Turnpike Buyer, that he would in fact change the wording in his ad. But after recieving this week adition in the box yesterday, I was floored when I saw the ad WASN'T changed at all!! I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm going nucking futs because of these people.