• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused about pistol carry in the car and open carry

MrPcar

Based on the law I've read I have to lock my firearm in a locked box while transporting in the car, but I've also read that it is the same rule as open carry, I can wear on my belt as long as it is open and clips loaded as long as the gun is kept empty. (Except when driving pass 1000 feet of school zone).

So what's what?

TIA

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Based on the law I've read I have to lock my firearm in a locked box while transporting in the car, but I've also read that it is the same rule as open carry, I can wear on my belt as long as it is open and clips loaded as long as the gun is kept empty. (Except when driving pass 1000 feet of school zone).

So what's what?

TIA

Transporting in a secure locked case is an exemption for both 12025 (concealed) and 626.9 (school zones). In most instances. it is advised to transport this way, because it is legally more expedient. There is no code that makes exposed carry while transporting in a motor vehicle illegal- but school zones are so numerous that it wouldnt be very practical.

Evil Tyler Durden

Crummy California the most unfair state in the uni

So what's what?

TIA
First off WELCOME to the forum.
I hope your finding all the answers you are looking for up to this point. I just have 1 humble request.

PLEASE do not ever call them CLIPS again when referring to handgun MAGAZINES. Even "assualt" rifles and sub machine guns use a MAGAZINE. That Will Smith garbage from the movies does not roll anywhere. A clip as you reference is a metal rail which holds onto the rounded off section of a bullet surrounding the primer.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=141&ty=113&page=1&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
This link shows you what a CLIP looks like.

The reference CLIP is used because the metal rail itself "CLIPS" onto the bottom of the ammunition. Also see this link for further reference. I'm here to clear up a misconception you have about CLIPS & MAGAZINES, not to make you look or feel retarded.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...page=1&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=75&ty=81

Here they are altogether:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...423&tbm=isch0,36&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1143&bih=423

Hope this helps out.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Request acknowledged. Magazines it is.

With several exceptions: M1 Garand rifles and Mauser broomhandled pistols being among them. And 'stripper' clips which, as Army correctly states, fill magazines on many rifles--and moon clips that are used in revolvers.

Born2Lose

magazine_vs_clip.jpg

Army

With several exceptions: M1 Garand rifles and Mauser broomhandled pistols being among them. And 'stripper' clips which, as Army correctly states, fill magazines on many rifles--and moon clips that are used in revolvers.
Nope, no exceptions.

Garands and Broomies have internal magazines, as does that Steyr pistol, all filled via clip.

Revolvers, have nothing more than a cylindrical magazine. Chambers are filled either individually, or by using half or full moon clips. Speed loaders are simply another form of clip.

Gunslinger

Every gun has an internal magazine. But we were talking about clips vice external magazines. Clips is a correct term when used properly. The M1 clip is actually a part of the magazine once shoved in. Outside, it is a loaded clip. Once ejected after the last round, it is an empty clip. Still, it is always referred to as a 'clip.'

ryanburbridge

I like referring to clips when talking about my gatt.

Now back to the OP. Did you get your question answered?

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto