• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if we have to settle for Permit Carry?

Outdoorsman1

I would, only to be able to legally carry in my car without having to unload and case... but I would still and always will (weather permitting)... open carry...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

BrewTownBagger

I would only to be able to legally carry in my car without having to unload and case... but I would still and always will (weather permitting)... open carry...

Outdoorsman1

I Agree with outdoorsman 1, as someone who open carries daily the loading and unloading has got to be the biggest pain in the ass. So I would get a permit to avoid that hassle, but I too, would continue to open carry. :cuss:

Outdoorsman1

I Agree with outdoorsman 1, as someone who open carries daily the loading and unloading has got to be the biggest pain in the ass. So I would get a permit to avoid that hassle, but I too, would continue to open carry. :cuss:

Ahhhhh...something about great minds think alike....:D

Outdoorsman1

Teej

Given that right now....

a permit is the only way (that I'm aware of) around the federal GFSZ....absolutely.

grinner

I'd rather get a permit from another state and use reciprocity to carry any way I want in WI. I'm not sure I could bring myself to get a permit from WI. I have principles I need to reconcile with convenience.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I will fight tooth & nail for Constitutional carry, until it's no longer on the table...then I will fight tooth & nail for the least restrictive type of legal concealed carry. I don't travel so recp means nothing to me.

M

McX

I rabidly dream of the morning i can walk out Constitutionally Carrying. the birds will sing, the sun will shine, the sheeple shall part, and the criminals shall tremble in fear. I've got a wallet full of permits, so far none good here. But i do take comfort in the fact that Wisconsin Carry will help us 'arrange' any Wisconsin permits i may have to add to my collection.

Teej

I'd rather get a permit from another state and use reciprocity to carry any way I want in WI. I'm not sure I could bring myself to get a permit from WI. I have principles I need to reconcile with convenience.

The usefulness of that depends entirely on matters that are not under the control of WCI or the state of WI.

The way some municipalities in this state have acted, I do not trust them not to kick any carrier they find over to the feds for prosecution.

Constitutional Carry will NOT override the federal GFSZA. Getting a permit from another state will NOT suffice to do so. Federal GFSZA is only bypassed for people with a license from the state in which the school is located. If we don't get WI permits, we don't get to go through school zones.

And yes, it is being prosecuted elsewhere.

Unless and until GFSZA is suitably modified or summarily dismissed, Constitutional Carry doesn't help much.

If I'm documentably (rather than anecdotally) wrong, please advise. I'm going off my own reading of GFSZA and discussions like this: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10680&start=0

jpm84092

As much as I am for Constitutional Carry, there is the matter of the Federal GFSZ. I am aware of a letter from the head of the BATF that claims an out of state permit would not exempt the holder from the Federal GFSZ out-of-state, but that it the opinion of a non-attorney Federal Official. The text of the law and the legislative intent dealt with background checks. Whether or not a person with an out-of-state permit is exempt from the Federal GFSZ has not yet been tested in the courts. (This question comes up in every Utah CFP Instructor course and the "not yet tested in the courts" is how it is answered.)

The States that have Constitutional Carry use the Federal GFSZ statute as a "penalty enhancer" if somebody acts badly with a firearm within the GFSZ and this is, I believe, how it should be. People who misuse firearms, or use them unlawfully against others, particularly children, need to be corrected.

So, to answer the original post question, if WI only gets a permit system (for now), and they offer it to out-of-state residents, I will get one. If a permit is not available to out-of-state residents, but WI recognizes the UT permit, I will carry concealed in WI and avoid GFSZ areas.

grinner

My principles mean more to me than being able to carry everywhere I want. The potential for a permitting system in WI makes me angry. Why would I be eager to participate in something I despise?

press1280

I haven't gotten through reading both of the bills-the shall-issue bill mentions reciprocity and seemingly WI will recognize all other state permits. Do I have that correct? I didn't see anything about issuing non-resident permits though, so GFSZ will still be an issue to WI non-residents at least.

blaze

How many people that are against Permit Carry in WI will still get a permit if one of the permit bills pass?

I WILL.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The back room deals among the Republicans will be hot and heavy. A version of the Permit Carry Bill is what will pass. Constitutional carry is DOA.

I will have that permit.

protias

My principles mean more to me than being able to carry everywhere I want. The potential for a permitting system in WI makes me angry. Why would I be eager to participate in something I despise?
I agree with this. This whole, "Do you want a permit?" is like asking, do you want your arm hacked off or your leg? No permits, no fees, no registration!

oak1971

The back room deals among the Republicans will be hot and heavy. A version of the Permit Carry Bill is what will pass. Constitutional carry is DOA.

I will have that permit.

You almost sound happy to have government regulate your rights. How sad....

safcrkr

Will I get a permit? Hell yes. As I travel to MI's U.P. at least once a week, sometimes as often as everyday, reciprocity means a lot to me. It means enough that if constitutional carry comes without an optional permit like AZ/AK, then I prefer shall-issue. Call me selfish, but that's the law that suits MY needs best. The ONLY way I can carry in MI is with a WI RESIDENT permit. I've got MN, I've got FL... but they're not valid in MI for non-residents of MN/FL. Before someone chimes in with "you can open carry in MI" , yea I can legally, when I'm OUT of my vehicle. But I need to carry IN my vehicle... I'm not walking to MI, nor walking much while I'm in MI, and most of my customers in MI would be unhappy with OC. Out of sight out of mind with CC.

Flame away.

stickbow95

Will I get a permit? Hell yes. As I travel to MI's U.P. at least once a week, sometimes as often as everyday, reciprocity means a lot to me. It means enough that if constitutional carry comes without an optional permit like AZ/AK, then I prefer shall-issue. Call me selfish, but that's the law that suits MY needs best. The ONLY way I can carry in MI is with a WI RESIDENT permit. I've got MN, I've got FL... but they're not valid in MI for non-residents of MN/FL. Before someone chimes in with "you can open carry in MI" , yea I can legally, when I'm OUT of my vehicle. But I need to carry IN my vehicle... I'm not walking to MI, nor walking much while I'm in MI, and most of my customers in MI would be unhappy with OC. Out of sight out of mind with CC.

Flame away.

I'm with you on this one. I would love to see constitutional carry for WI, as well as the whole country. But reciprocity with MI is very high on my list. I spend a lot of time in the UP, as well as the lower peninsula. I'm in Detroit right now, in fact, visiting family. I would really like to be able to conceal here, as many of my family members do not approve of carrying... yet. (I'm always working on them). Like you said: "out of sight, out of mind."

protias

There is no guarantee MI will honor a WI permit, that said, there would be a good chance they would since they honor everyone else's permit.

safcrkr

There is no guarantee MI will honor a WI permit, that said, there would be a good chance they would since they honor everyone else's permit.

MI doesn't enter into reciprocity agreements. Their law simply recognizes all out-of-state permits that are issued by the permit holder's resident state. I've read through their law many times looking for a "loophole" that would allow my MN or my FL permit to be valid. I've even talked to MI State Troopers. They absolutely will accept a WI permit.