• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man outside our window...

chakragod

So tonight we had a knock on the door from someone in the neighborhood (they live diagonal from us across the street), and they said that the other night while my wife was at work and I was at my parents house, a large mexican guy pulled up in front of our house and was looking in our window. At the time the blind was slightly up, although the light wasn't on. Problem is, my computer and our new 50" plasma can be seen through the window, probably even in the dark.

They said after a few minutes of peeking in, he ran to his car and peeled out, hitting one of our other neighbors cars in the process.

Now short of getting cameras for the outside, which I can't do atm since our funds are in a bind, what, if anything, can I do about this?

Claytron

So tonight we had a knock on the door from someone in the neighborhood (they live diagonal from us across the street), and they said that the other night while my wife was at work and I was at my parents house, a large mexican guy pulled up in front of our house and was looking in our window. At the time the blind was slightly up, although the light wasn't on. Problem is, my computer and our new 50" plasma can be seen through the window, probably even in the dark.

They said after a few minutes of peeking in, he ran to his car and peeled out, hitting one of our other neighbors cars in the process.

Now short of getting cameras for the outside, which I can't do atm since our funds are in a bind, what, if anything, can I do about this?

make sure you keep all of your doors and windows locked, buy thick curtains you can pull down over your main window (i have a big bay window out front too), and a second time for emphasis: lock ATLEAST all your first floor windows, especially after having a guy checking things out.

j4l

And when away, leave one light on inside somewhere, and a t.v or stereo blasting. at least try to make it look as much like someone's home,as possible.
Better still-another poor-man's deception trick.
Download and install Audacity (free recording software) and record a few minutes worth of a party,crowd or gathering of some kind-or the sound of from a t.v. show/movie, etc.-save the file-then open it in Audacity, and create a loop-where it repeats over and over.
Just genral crowd noise -people chatting etc-then when u leave- play back the audio file-reasonably loud- in an on-going loop. at least gives the impression folks are there...

Greg Bradburn

And when away, leave one light on inside somewhere, and a t.v or stereo blasting. at least try to make it look as much like someone's home,as possible.
Better still-another poor-man's deception trick.
Download and install Audacity (free recording software) and record a few minutes worth of a party,crowd or gathering of some kind-or the sound of from a t.v. show/movie, etc.-save the file-then open it in Audacity, and create a loop-where it repeats over and over.
Just genral crowd noise -people chatting etc-then when u leave- play back the audio file-reasonably loud- in an on-going loop. at least gives the impression folks are there...

Good advice. Maybe put a big dog dish on the front porch with the name "Fang" or something on it. Put a Beware of Dog sign on the front door :)

Deanimator

Get a cheap timer, preferably one with a couple of outlets (other wise plug an adapter into it). Plug a lamp and a radio into it.

If you want to get more sophisticated, Radio Shack sells home automation gear that will control outlets all over the home. The control unit passes signals through the wiring to units anywhere in the house... unless it's wired as insanely as my apartment, in which case they may not work outside of the same room. The equipment is more expensive than the cheap timers they sell at hardware stores, but not THAT much more expensive.

j4l

Good points all. Further, if you have any photoshop/gimp skills, craft some bogus Alarm/Surveillance-system logos with something along the lines of " Property under 24/7 Video and Audio Monitoring-XYZ Alarm systems inc." take em to kinkos and print out a couple of decals, then put em on windows.etc.

AmbushBug

Good points all. Further, if you have any photoshop/gimp skills, craft some bogus Alarm/Surveillance-system logos with something along the lines of " Property under 24/7 Video and Audio Monitoring-XYZ Alarm systems inc." take em to kinkos and print out a couple of decals, then put em on windows.etc.

Packs of generic alarm stickers can also be purchased rather cheaply at a home-improvement store or ordered online.

MKEgal

Not sure this would help if he's figured out when you're not home, but...
Put your best used target from your last range trip on the door. :lol:

Other than that, I agree with the people suggesting lamps on timers, locking doors & windows, & keeping drapes closed. Maybe start a neighborhood watch, even informally, since you know there's been 'action' in the area? Check with the community liason for the PD in your area; they might have more suggestions.

chakragod

Not sure this would help if he's figured out when you're not home, but...
Put your best used target from your last range trip on the door. :lol:

Other than that, I agree with the people suggesting lamps on timers, locking doors & windows, & keeping drapes closed. Maybe start a neighborhood watch, even informally, since you know there's been 'action' in the area? Check with the community liason for the PD in your area; they might have more suggestions.

I've been thinking about starting something like that. This area is one of the worst in the city, even though we're still growing (75,000+). We had 2 shootings last summer, one a block away, and the other 2-3 blocks away...on top of one night when I was looking outside, a cop car had someone pulled over, and proceeded to lurch the guy from the car and throw a gun into the road in front of my house.

I should get a sign that says, "Help Test Hi-Point Myths Inside!"

j4l

I've been thinking about starting something like that. This area is one of the worst in the city, even though we're still growing (75,000+). We had 2 shootings last summer, one a block away, and the other 2-3 blocks away...on top of one night when I was looking outside, a cop car had someone pulled over, and proceeded to lurch the guy from the car and throw a gun into the road in front of my house.

I should get a sign that says, "Help Test Hi-Point Myths Inside!"

Smashing! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ excellent lol.
A word about neighborhood watches, though. Great in theory, as long as folks actually participate. Also, though, -this from very personal perspective- you have to factor in the possibility that one or more neighbors might be "in-on" some of the activity in some capacity-be just a look-out, or in the robbery cases-
the person "casing" you and or relaying to others when you are coming/going, what boxes from nifty new, expensive purchases you may have put out by the garbage, etc.(t.v.s etc) Sound crazy does it? Think about it- who better placed to observe such things than the guy next door, across the street, or 2 doors down? ESPECIALLY, if you think you know them.
And no, not just the paranoid rants of a former Counter-Intelligence operator.

Last edited:

gravedigger

A wink is as good as a nod, to a blind man. Go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy two of their plastic signs:

"Property under 24 hour video and audio surveillance."

Post one in front, the other in back. Get a yard sign that indicates the home is "Protected by [ABC] Security" or whatever.

Mount a motion activated spotlight where a BG will approach your home and let it kick on when he comes to the window. Criminals are like roaches. They don't like light, and they should be exterminated whenever possible with equal indifference.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
This works for me

Its a warning to the bad guys but on the other hand they know I have guns LOL

Attachments

• nothin.jpg
    nothin.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 132