• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there any type of legal defense fund?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It depends on where you are and what the specific case facts are.

A few states have groups where funds have been established. Depending on the facts and circumstances of the individual case organizations such as ACLU, NRA, SAF, JPFO and others may become ibvolved with personnel and/or funds. Individuals may donate funds for a specific case.

There is no "insurance" that will provide funding for civil suits, as those are cases which generate "profits". There are a few legal services groups out there that offer "insurance" that pays for legal representation in the event of criminal charges - go Google them.

stay safe.

exceltoexcel

Visit PAFOA.org. In the matter of of 2 hours we raised $1k for a case in 3 days we raised over $3k.. The thing is you have to have a real case, you have to be trust worthy and we need to know you're not going to take the plead..

The problem with all of this is someone wants help but refuses to help when others need it.

You've got 40 or so guys that will pony up $100 a piece for a good case while others refuse to get off of $10 and then want help when they get harassed.

If you want to be part of a legal fund you ought to contribute and when you win your civil case, you know the money that the team gave you, yeah well you ought to put that back into the pot + 10% of what you win for the next guy. Instead people bail, they plead, they drop their case or they disappear and don't do the right thing. This pretty much pisses everyone off.

zack991

Visit PAFOA.org. In the matter of of 2 hours we raised $1k for a case in 3 days we raised over $3k.. The thing is you have to have a real case, you have to be trust worthy and we need to know you're not going to take the plead..

The problem with all of this is someone wants help but refuses to help when others need it.

You've got 40 or so guys that will pony up $100 a piece for a good case while others refuse to get off of $10 and then want help when they get harassed.

If you want to be part of a legal fund you ought to contribute and when you win your civil case, you know the money that the team gave you, yeah well you ought to put that back into the pot + 10% of what you win for the next guy. Instead people bail, they plead, they drop their case or they disappear and don't do the right thing. This pretty much pisses everyone off.

agreed.

tittiger

It's a shame that we gun people do not do what has been done by homeschoolers and by raw milk dairy men.

The rub is that there is reluctance to open carry because of possible financial strains and if you don't have the funds you are just screwed by the system and I well know.

With some sort of insurance/indemnification I think there would be a lot more people willing to open carry and I would rather put my limited funds into something like this that would progress the fight for God given rights rather than pay Caesar for a God given right and perpetuating the illusion that the Legislature is the arbiter of them.

Raising money after the fact makes no sense from a security perspective. I do not see people not insuring their homes for fire with the hope that if it does burn down they will just have a fund raiser.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think the insurance companies are missing out on a serious windfall.

Insurance is all about statistics, and in the insurance realm, those who crunch the numbers are call actuaries. I was never a certified actuary, but I've had a lot of collegiate and post-graduate statistics, so I get it. The odds of your average OCer needing legal help or a payout are exceedingly slim. $30 - $50 a year for your average OCer would make any insurance company willing to tackle this fairly wealthy, while spreading the wealth among all of us quite well. I'm not talking about covering an OJ Simpson type civil lawsuit, but rather, the criminal defense charges.

If an insurance company wanted to lower their clients' premiums (actually in the company's best interests as that tends to attract more customers) the best way to do that is through online training programs via the company's website. They would include state-specific legal training so that clients would be made fully aware of what they can and can't do, legally, while at the same time walking them through various scenarios in order to prepare them mentally to choose the best course of action given the situation.

Hmm... I'll shut up, now, as this actually sounds like an interesting business opportunity I may wish to pursue.

tittiger

Insurance companies make ungodly profits so the insured are paying many times what they should be paying and an "insurance company" is very regulated not to protect the public so much as to make a good ol' boys club so your average Joe can not join in the pillaging of the sheeple.

This is not what I am suggesting.

I am talking about a pool of money that is kept at high enough level that there will hopefully be enough funds to cover members legal expenses. You do not want to even go near what Caesar calls an insurance company unless you have a love for regulation and want to spend half of your members membership fees on compliance.