Thread: Challenge to Chicagos allowance for alderman..US constitution??

Challenge to Chicagos allowance for alderman..US constitution??

Has the fact that the city of Chicago allows elected alderman to CC been challenged based on the 'equal protection under the law' of the US constitution? Id think that that challenge would be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Has the fact that the city of Chicago allows elected alderman to CC been challenged based on the 'equal protection under the law' of the US constitution? Id think that that challenge would be viable.
    Not without the court establishing that the right to carry exists outside of the home. As the law is written some municipal officials are officers of the peace and are able to carry under the same legal exception as any LEO in the state. They are required to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy.

Its a novel idea, but the argument would be legally akin to filing an equal protection claim against a PD.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Alderman CCing

Quote Originally Posted by CraigC178 View Post
    Not without the court establishing that the right to carry exists outside of the home. As the law is written some municipal officials are officers of the peace and are able to carry under the same legal exception as any LEO in the state. They are required to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy.

Its a novel idea, but the argument would be legally akin to filing an equal protection claim against a PD.

I am glad that you said "some municipal officials" because when I was living in Chicago, there was no "having to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy" going on. I'll ask the question like I have been asking all along, "What makes the Mayor and Aldermen any different than their constituents?" Illinois residents should be able to protect themselves inside and outside of their homes. "Bare arms" (as I understand it) means to "carry arms". Everyone should be able to do so........EVERYONE!!!

Now, I just hope that Wisconsin does everything they can to pass CC so Illinois can stand out as being the only state in the union to deny people a legal means to protect themselves (I mean, without infringement)!!! My frustration with Illinois legislators is showing!!!
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

it was my understanding that the didnt have to have firearms training...yet by privelege of being elected that somehow got them special 'rights'

Chicago alderman get a hall pass from Daley.Theres plenty of aldermen I know that carry concealed along with judges. And other important people in chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    it was my understanding that the didnt have to have firearms training...yet by privelege of being elected that somehow got them special 'rights'
    This being Illinois & Chicago that may very well be how it is in practice. By law they are required to have training. I do not have a cite immediately available, I will edit this post when I do & include the number of hours that they are "required" to have.

Aldermen might be more equal??? My My, ever read Animal Farm?