• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenge to Chicagos allowance for alderman..US constitution??

CraigC178

Has the fact that the city of Chicago allows elected alderman to CC been challenged based on the 'equal protection under the law' of the US constitution? Id think that that challenge would be viable.

Not without the court establishing that the right to carry exists outside of the home. As the law is written some municipal officials are officers of the peace and are able to carry under the same legal exception as any LEO in the state. They are required to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy.

Its a novel idea, but the argument would be legally akin to filing an equal protection claim against a PD.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
Alderman CCing

Not without the court establishing that the right to carry exists outside of the home. As the law is written some municipal officials are officers of the peace and are able to carry under the same legal exception as any LEO in the state. They are required to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy.

Its a novel idea, but the argument would be legally akin to filing an equal protection claim against a PD.

I am glad that you said "some municipal officials" because when I was living in Chicago, there was no "having to pass the same firearms training as any cadet at the academy" going on. I'll ask the question like I have been asking all along, "What makes the Mayor and Aldermen any different than their constituents?" Illinois residents should be able to protect themselves inside and outside of their homes. "Bare arms" (as I understand it) means to "carry arms". Everyone should be able to do so........EVERYONE!!!

Now, I just hope that Wisconsin does everything they can to pass CC so Illinois can stand out as being the only state in the union to deny people a legal means to protect themselves (I mean, without infringement)!!! My frustration with Illinois legislators is showing!!!

awnuts

Chicago alderman get a hall pass from Daley.Theres plenty of aldermen I know that carry concealed along with judges. And other important people in chicago.

CraigC178

it was my understanding that the didnt have to have firearms training...yet by privelege of being elected that somehow got them special 'rights'

This being Illinois & Chicago that may very well be how it is in practice. By law they are required to have training. I do not have a cite immediately available, I will edit this post when I do & include the number of hours that they are "required" to have.