• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If Constitutional Carry passes, how do you carry out of state?

cleveland

If Constitutional Carry passes, how do you carry out of state? I am especially interested in knowing how it will work in a state like Michigan since they do not honor non-resident permits.

Interceptor_Knight

Nothing changes. You need a non-resident CCW Permit which is honored by the State which you are visiting. You may not open carry including handgun hunt in Michigan without a carry permit from another State as Michigan does not issue non-resident permits. Michigan, CO and others do not recognize any non-resident permits for CCW.
UT, MN and FL are the most common non-resident permits which WI residents get. If you have FL and UT, you do not need a MN permit. All FL requires for training is a DD214, Active .mil or Hunters' Safety Certificate . Most trainers in WI charge $150 total for both UT and MN carry courses given together.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Right! So how does a non-resident carry concealed in Michigan or other states that do not honor non-resident permits?

Well not entirely true. Michigan recognizes ALL state permits as long as you are a resident of the state the permit is issued from.

So if you are an Indiana resident with a Indiana permit you are good to conceal. If you have a Florida permit, but live in Wisconsin then Michigan wouldn't honor that for concealed, but would for possession and OC.

cleveland

So the only way that I as a WI resident (who will have his UT permit in less then 60 days) will be able to carry in Michigan is if permit carry passes in WI, correct?

See, that's why I asked this question. It seems to me that a permit carry would be better then constitutional carry for WI residents that travel, as it will be accepted by more states then getting a UT or FL permit. Especially considering I am more likely to travel to/through Michigan because it is an adjoining state.

grinner

The same way you'd carry in Michigan today. Unless I'm missing something? This doesn't seem complicated. If you want to carry in a state, get a permit (if required) that allows you to carry there.

EDIT: Apparently MI only respects permits granted by states for residents of that state. Bummer. In situations like this, one must choose whether to stand by one's principles or to make a deal with the devil. My choice is clear. If you want to make the deal, go ahead.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

If Constitutional Carry passes, how do you carry out of state? I am especially interested in knowing how it will work in a state like Michigan since they do not honor non-resident permits.

You boycott the states that won't let you carry in them with whatever permit you have.

I never understood this logic, let's give up our rights because someone else (MI residents) allows their elected officials to take their rights away.

safcrkr

Right! So how does a non-resident carry concealed in Michigan or other states that do not honor non-resident permits?

You don't. But if you do have a non-resident permit from another state, what you can do in MI is basically the same as what you can do in WI today. Open carry, but not in a vehicle. In a vehicle, your firearm must be unloaded, encased, and not in the passenger compartment. If you a resident of WI and possess no permit whatsoever, you are not allowed to possess a handgun in MI at all.

Trip20

See, that's why I asked this question. It seems to me that a permit carry would be better then constitutional carry for WI residents that travel...

So the degree or flavor of a Constitutional Right recognized by our Government should be dictated by what red tape a small segment of the population must overcome?

I'll tell ya what you do. Don't compromise your Rights so you can occasionally conceal carry in Michigan.

Constitutional Carry is the Righteous path. And those other issues such as carry in Michigan and GFSZ can be dealt with head-on after we get what is rightfully ours in the first place.

Last edited:

cleveland

So the degree or flavor of a Constitutional Right recognized by our Government should be dictated by what red tape a small segment of the population must overcome?

No, I never said or implied that. I simply asked what would be best for one person in a particular situation.

I'll tell ya what you do. Don't compromise your Rights so you can occasionally conceal carry in Michigan.

You say that as though you or I will be making that decision.

professor gun

You boycott the states that won't let you carry in them with whatever permit you have.

I never understood this logic, let's give up our rights because someone else (MI residents) allows their elected officials to take their rights away.

Kind of tough to do when you have family living there. I would like to have the capacity to protect myself and my family when I am in the Detroit area. I favor a permit system, ideally an optional permit system as some states have gone to.