Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walgreens Robbery Foiled By Pistol Packing Employee

Smile Walgreens Robbery Foiled By Pistol Packing Employee

An attempted robbery failed very early Sunday morning at the Walgreens at Napier and M-139 because one of the employees was armed and fought back. Benton Township police say 2 armed men, wearing masks and gloves entered the store and ordered employees to the back of the store at gunpoint. One worker, already in the back, pulled out his handgun and started firing at the robbers. That employee has a valid Michigan concealed carry permit. The robbers fled empty handed and while no employees were injured, we're not sure about the robbers. Area hospitals were alerted, but we have no reports yet of anyone being treated for gunshot wounds. As of this morning police are still looking for 2 six foot tall black males - one in a black ski jacket, the other wearing a gray or white hooded sweatshirt.

http://www.wsjm.com/pages/9794332.php

Unfortunately for the employee, he will probably be terminated for violation of the company’s firearm policy. Because of the litigation filled world we live in, employers have found the liability of an employee getting hurt or killed is a lot less than if a criminal is killed on their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    Unfortunately for the employee, he will probably be terminated for violation of the company’s firearm policy. Because of the litigation filled world we live in, employers have found the liability of an employee getting hurt or killed is a lot less than if a criminal is killed on their premises.
    Well he has to be alive to be fired.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Better to be fired, than to be fired upon.

Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    +1
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

I will be interested to find out who it was... I most likely know the employee as I shop in that Walgreens a good bit.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Some of these corporations can be so petty, I wouldn’t be surprised if they deducted the cost for damages for his missed rounds out of his last check.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Totally agree...............I was just pointing out the fact of the logic corporations use.

Yup cheaper to replace an employee, than to pay other costs,

(and after all employees are a DIME A DOZEN) as quoted by my last employer !

I know that my family, would rather buy ammo than a casket....

I was about to post this story and lo and behold, someone beat me to it! Here's the article in the Herald Paladium....

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/4700620.txt

Bravo for the employee, will be sad if he loses his job but it probably saved his life and the lives of his co-workers. When the police Lt. says that he would've done the same thing, that's saying something. Yay for armed good guys!!
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Contacted corporate through their website. Not sure if it will do anything, but I quickly reminded them that if the guy gets terminated over what happened, I will not frequent their stores anymore.

Contact Walgreen's

Here's a copy of the email I sent through their web form to the corporate office, praising the responsibly-armed citizen/employee to high heaven, commending Walgreen's for its corporate policy of not prohibiting self-defense, and warning of public backlash if the man is fired.

I've just read a news article about one of your employees in Benton Township, MI and his heroic actions that saved the lives of himself & his co-worker when 2 armed robbers attacked them.
    (http://www.freep.com/article/2011051...dits-Walgreens
    and
    http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/4700620.txt)

I commend Walgreen's for not prohibiting its employees right to self-defense, esp. when it's obvious the company can't protect them. If these criminals had wanted to rob the store, they would have forced the clerk to open the register & been gone very quickly. By trying to move people to a less-public area, they showed they intended to murder them both.

The lawfully-armed employee acted to save his own life & the life of his co-worker, and should be commended for being a responsible citizen. What a wonderful person to have on your staff! I'm glad to know that people like this are in your stores.

I certainly hope that Walgreen's doesn't find some excuse to fire this responsible citizen. I know that I would not shop at Walgreen's again if that happened, and I've read comments on several message boards discussing this incident saying that other people feel the same way. Disarming employees & customers only makes things easier for the criminals.
    Don't copy it verbatim, of course, but go thou & do likewise.

ETA: oh, bleep... corporate is in IL.
    (800) 925-4733
    7:30am to 5:00 pm Central Time, Monday through Friday

Walgreen Company Consumer Relations
    1411 Lake Cook Rd, Mail Stop #L428
    Deerfield, IL
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.

It was the night Pharmacist that fired his revolver at the armed robbers. This particular Walgreen's has no camera's for ID and is open 24 hrs.

I have been told by a friend of his that Walgreen's is looking to transfer due to retaliation. But his concern is the corporate CEZ policy and his employment.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    It was the night Pharmacist that fired his revolver at the armed robbers. This particular Walgreen's has no camera's for ID and is open 24 hrs.

I have been told by a friend of his that Walgreen's is looking to transfer due to retaliation. But his concern is the corporate CEZ policy and his employment.

If this is true they haven't learned... the whole reason they built the new store and moved from a more secluded spot on Pipestone is because they were getting robbed all the time.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Yeah, he got his CPL because of the neighbors in St Joe's and the lack of security. Stop by and give him support. I understand he works the night shift.
    Last edited by AAMitch; 05-11-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post

A pharmacy with no cameras??? Mmmm don't think so..... not in today's age.... the criminals wouldn't have been ID'd anyway, wearing masks and gloves....
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    A pharmacy with no cameras??? Mmmm don't think so..... not in today's age.... the criminals wouldn't have been ID'd anyway, wearing masks and gloves....
    I know of several right here in Monroe County 35 miles south of Detroit that don't have cameras or anything in the way of security. Now they are small individually owned, and that may be the difference, I dont know
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    that didnt sound right to me either. I live in a trailer and even I have a security camera. Got it for 40$ at a discount food chain.

I sent e-mail to Walgreens Corporate, praising the employee that probably saved lives of fellow employees, and that the future of this employee be secured, and said that, many people in Michigan were concerned for this employee,

Here is their e-mail to Me
    May 12, 2011

Dear John,
    Thank you for taking the time to email our Corporate Offices regarding an employee at our 875 E Napier Rd store location.

We are thankful that no customers nor any of our employees were injured during this incident. We're investigating the matter and will be speaking with all of our employees involved as part of that process.
    Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
    Sincerely,
    April S.
    Manager, Consumer Relations
    Ref # 3067794
    http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/c...nt&h4=consumer

Banned
    They answered without giving one. Wish there was a way to make that a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gort View Post
    I sent e-mail to Walgreens Corporate, praising the employee that probably saved lives of fellow employees, and that the future of this employee be secured, and said that, many people in Michigan were concerned for this employee,

Here is their e-mail to Me
    May 12, 2011

Dear John,
    Thank you for taking the time to email our Corporate Offices regarding an employee at our 875 E Napier Rd store location.

We are thankful that no customers nor any of our employees were injured during this incident. We're investigating the matter and will be speaking with all of our employees involved as part of that process.
    Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
    Sincerely,
    April S.
    Ref # 3067794
    http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/c...nt&h4=consumer
    I told them if the employee gets fired, I won't shop at their store anymore. I got the same response you did:

Thank you for taking the time to email our Corporate Offices regarding the exceptional service you received from , an employee at our 875 E Napier Rd store location.

Last edited by kubel; 05-13-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Looks like a pre-packaged reply with blanks filled in. As for the private/mom-and-pop pharmacy without cameras... wow is that risky!! Like it was mentioned above, they could drop $40 and have a security cam! A PHARMACY without cameras?! That's really asking for it. ...But a Walgreens without cameras? I say no way... every one I've been in has MULTIPLE cameras, and rightly so! With perscription drug abuse already high and still rising, it seems that more and more pharmacies are being robbed. I'd probably insist on being armed while working there, too.

Banned
    My doctor has a small in house pharmacy, cant be more than 14'x16', complete with a bullet hole in the front counter. No one was hurt, the BG missed panicked, and ran.

I got a canned response, too, & wrote back

May 16, 2011
    Dear Krysta,

Thank you for taking the time to email our Corporate Offices regarding an employee at our store location.

Sincerely,

April S.
    Ref # 3069431
    My reply:
    April,

I'm sure everyone is thankful that the employees weren't injured. The only reason they weren't is because one employee was lawfully armed for his own protection, & used it to defend his life and the life of his co-worker when armed criminals entered the store. When criminals try to move victims to a less-public location (whether that's walking to the back room of the store or driving to another place), it's likely those victims will be dead soon.

I want to hear from Walgreen's that the responsible citizen who saved 2 lives will keep his job & will not be punished in any way for his actions. Anything less will be a PR nightmare for Walgreen's, and will probably lead to other responsibly-armed citizens avoiding spending money with you. Giving him a promotion would be a way to honor him for saving 2 lives.

Even better, I want to know that Walgreen's corporate policy is to allow customers and employees to keep their right to self-defense when entering Walgreen's stores. It's obvious (from this incident & I'm sure many others across the country) that the company does nothing to prevent criminals from entering stores, or from robbing them, or from assaulting people inside or in parking lots.

Krysta XXX
    Milwaukee, WI

@@@

PS - can someone post the address of the store, & PM me the night pharmacist's name?
    I'd like to send him copies of the emails I wrote, & a "keep your chin up" note.
    Failing that, can I send them to someone local who knows him & you pass them on?

Nice to get some semi-positive press once in a while.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast