• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is Hiking?

FamilyMan

Regarding
the list of Exceptions for CC
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Is walking your dog in your neighborhood covered by this exception? Don't mean to be trollish, but if you were sterile OC, and then covered up do to rain, would you be exempt?

Assuming you're just walking your dog, you're not on the way to/from the shop(s)

A cursory search of the RCW didn't provide me with the answer, but in another location, they list,
walking, hiking, backpacking, so there may be some precedent that Hiking, is somehow different from walking, but I don't see where that's defined.

Thanks for the comments if any

Tawnos

Regarding
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Is walking your dog in your neighborhood covered by this exception? Don't mean to be trollish, but if you were sterile OC, and then covered up do to rain, would you be exempt?

Assuming you're just walking your dog, you're not on the way to/from the shop(s)

A cursory search of the RCW didn't provide me with the answer, but in another location, they list,
walking, hiking, backpacking, so there may be some precedent that Hiking, is somehow different from walking, but I don't see where that's defined.

Don't consent to any search, and don't worry too much about it? If you're doing a legitimate outdoor recreational activity (e.g. walking the dog), you're unlikely to be stopped to begin with. If you are, don't let them search you. If you do both of those, you still have that law covering you (though it may involve spending money).

jt59

Regarding

This is downright scary....

The Governor appears to have convened a study that defines walking and outdoor activites inclusively to local sidewalks, streets and roads....See page 8, Local Government

Walking

Walking is hugely popular, with 67 percent participation, common to all
ages, in all regions. Most walking happens on the transportation
system: sidewalks, streets, roads. People prefer to walk on unpaved
paths and sidewalks. When planning trails or paths, it is of interest to
know that research done for the Washington Department of
Transportation found that the public will support new facilities when
they offer a new, safe place to walk.7 Most walks are short: averaging
about 1.9 miles.

Confirming the State’s Interest in (Outdoor) Recreation Recreation offers more than play.

Recreation, as physical activity, has a direct contribution to public health. Walking and bicycling contributes to personal mobility.

It is in the state’s interest to encourage local activity by supporting local facilities. Support of parks and sports facilities is obvious. Less obvious is that support for school facilities including playgrounds and sports fields will result in increased opportunities for recreation and physical activity. A state policy requiring that publicly funded school facilities be made available for after school use is worth exploration.

Likewise, encouraging walking and cycling on and to local facilities
(e.g., a safe route to school that uses a grade-separated trail) addresses multiple priorities and public benefits.

http://www.mrsc.org/govdocs/W3ParksRec.pdf

Certainly, this is tax money well spent to determine that outdoor activites, including walking need to be defined, communicated, funded, encouraged, measured, rationalized, taxed and then improved on....however, I didn't see a direct metric between OC and safety potential opportunities being exploited in the charts and graphs....:banghead:

.....and I would think that if your carrying sterile, and decide to go CC from OC, there is not a "rain" exemption and you likely should have your CC punch card with you somewhere.

I don't think you actually have much to worry about....

Last edited:

amlevin

To me, hiking was always driving way out into the woods or up in the Mountains, going for a long walk carrying an uncomfortable pack, drinking warm water, eating dry food that tasted like the package it came from, and using leaves or moss for (well, you know what). Oh, and don't forget the nettles or devil's club.

If you are doing all that on city streets then I guess you're OK except for the "Leaves and Moss" part.

Aaron1124

Interesting question. I think the question is: What would the majority of the public view as "hiking"? Would the general mass feel that "hiking" is simply walking your dog in your neighborhood? I wouldn't think so.

Tawnos

Interesting question. I think the question is: What would the majority of the public view as "hiking"? Would the general mass feel that "hiking" is simply walking your dog in your neighborhood? I wouldn't think so.

Fortunately, the real question being asked is "what is a recreational outdoor activity".

Sparky508

Looks like its wide open to me. The wording, "such as", means to me that the following are examples of a lawful outdoor activity.
Attendant circumstances; Walking the dog, with a dog present to prove the legitimacy of in fact walking the dog.

I suspect the next thing will be, "See how that works out for you."

CUE: BigDave, in 3, 2, .......

Sparky508

Merriam Webster says:

Definition of HIKE

intransitive verb
a : to go on a hike b : to travel by any means

: to rise up; especially : to work upward out of place <skirt had hiked up in back>

transitive verb
a : to move, pull, or raise with a sudden motion <hiked himself onto the top bunk> b : snap 6b c : to raise in amount sharply or suddenly <hike rents>

: to take on a hike

: to traverse on a hike <hike a trail>

hik·er noun
Examples of HIKE

• We spent the afternoon hiking around the lake.
  • She hiked 10 miles in the hot desert sun.
  • We hiked some of the shorter trails.
  • Our neighbors spent their vacation hiking the Rockies.
  • The state keeps hiking the tax on cigarettes.
  • There's talk of hiking the eligibility age.
  • I hiked myself onto the ledge

Sooooooooooooooooo the next time they raise the taxes on cigarettes, I don't need to renew my CPL:banana:

Last edited:

hermannr

First, you really do not have to worry about the state's definition of "hiking" because the real thing is lawful "recreational activities". The part that I find interesting is it appears to me that you can concealed carry without a permit (while going to and from; and while recreating) for purposes of self protection. I'm not worried if I am reading this correctly, or not, as I do have a CPL, but that is how I read it....

For the discussion, we used to "hike" and "day hike", as others have stated, this involved going up into the mountains. However, some of my friends used to be very weary of my "walks" and strolls, as what I used to consider a stroll through the woods, they very well might have considered a "hike".

Aaron1124

What matters, is how the police officer, prosecuting attorney, and judge/jury members think "outdoor recreational activities" mean. If it's this debatable, then it's debatable that it could not go in your favor, unless there's a specific WA Supreme Court ruling on this. I'd carry my CPL on me if I had to conceal while going for a walk through my community.

Dave_pro2a

This is like the WA Collector Plate law. You can use them when "driving for pleasure.'

Personally, anytime I'm in an old Camaro/mustang/corvette, etc, it's always pleasurable. ;)

Aaron1124

This is like the WA Collector Plate law. You can use them when "driving for pleasure.'

Personally, anytime I'm in an old Camaro/mustang/corvette, etc, it's always pleasurable. ;)

LOL What? Can you cite that law? I had never heard of that! I'm interested in reading about it now.

Nvm. I found it!

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

Carry a frisbee, stop at a park, throw frisbee, dog brings it back, now continue on walk.

:p

Oh and it will be up to the judge to decide. I think that's what BD would say, too lazy to go thru his posts to make sure it's accurate.

arentol

Don't consent to any search, and don't worry too much about it? If you're doing a legitimate outdoor recreational activity (e.g. walking the dog), you're unlikely to be stopped to begin with. If you are, don't let them search you. If you do both of those, you still have that law covering you (though it may involve spending money).

The problem with this line of thinking (which is somewhat common around here in my experience), is that it assumes a police officer can never have RAS for an encounter just because you are innocent and doing nothing to provide RAS. This is entirely untrue and so it is still a risk.

For instance, you might match the description of a wanted criminal suspected to be in the area. In such a situation they can pat you down for officer safety and if they find you are CC'ing they can still nail you for it even though you don't turn out to be the person they were looking for.

Last edited:

Jayd1981

I would think that generally if the LEO is asking for your consent, then they DO NOT have RAS to search you. It is my thinking that it will always be in your best interest to refuse all searches and seizures. If the officer feels they have RAS and searches you anyways, the search can always be challenged in court and if you are unfortunate enough to have something you shouldn't have found on you (I'm not advocating having anything illegal) you can then challenge the results of that search also.

Again as others have said, do not physically resist, that will end very badly. But verbally stating that you are refusing to be searched without a warrant (for the purposes of your own recording device) really cannot do any harm.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
unless you were using this leash to walk the dog....

images

sudden valley gunner

What matters, is how the police officer, prosecuting attorney, and judge/jury members think "outdoor recreational activities" mean. If it's this debatable, then it's debatable that it could not go in your favor, unless there's a specific WA Supreme Court ruling on this. I'd carry my CPL on me if I had to conceal while going for a walk through my community.

We need to change the mindset that what they think matters. It doesn't matter to me one bit what our employees think.

Really we need to turn the tyranny back around we are not meant in this state and in this country to be subject to what these folks "think".

amlevin

We need to change the mindset that what they think matters. It doesn't matter to me one bit what our employees think.

Really we need to turn the tyranny back around we are not meant in this state and in this country to be subject to what these folks "think".

It would be best to fix how these employees think before ignoring. Otherwise one could end up like Chris Harris in Seattle. You may end up a "winner" after it's all over, with $10 Million Dollars in the bank as a settlement. The only problem is that your medical expenses, due to being paralyzed and in a coma, will take every penny of that.

Until the way these officers think is changed I'd be very wary. It's not our mindset that needs to be changed as much as THEIR's. Then we can change ours. To take an attitude of "I don't care what they think" could have severe consequences, physical, financial, and legal.

sudden valley gunner

It would be best to fix how these employees think before ignoring. Otherwise one could end up like Chris Harris in Seattle. You may end up a "winner" after it's all over, with $10 Million Dollars in the bank as a settlement. The only problem is that your medical expenses, due to being paralyzed and in a coma, will take every penny of that.

Until the way these officers think is changed I'd be very wary. It's not our mindset that needs to be changed as much as THEIR's. Then we can change ours. To take an attitude of "I don't care what they think" could have severe consequences, physical, financial, and legal.

I agree, my thinking is though that unless we change the fact that we accept this behavior and don't demand it to be changed they will never change their mindset. Like a parent enabling a spoiled brat.