• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA law Vs fed law - pistol/shotgun/AOW

TechnoWeenie

So I went into a store, and he had a shotgun that was NOT a shotgun, claimed it was built as a pistol, but NOT an AOW, and required the state pistol transfer paperwork.

It did NOT have a buttstock, only a pistol grip, and was not designed with a buttstock.

I found the AG opinion Link which says that you can (under state law at least) cut down one of these 'pistols', as it's a pistol under state law, and not a shotgun...

BUT... where does federal law come into this? Because IIRC, a shotgun with only a pistol grip was considered to be an AOW....

It currently has an 18.5" barrel on it, but I think it'd be awesome to cut it down if I bought it, but it seems to me that it'd be in violation of federal law.. but then again, the mere existence of a 'pistol' shotgun is supposed to be an AOW under fed law anyway, right?

This relates to O.C. because I would carry this loaded in a vehicle, and would fall under my CPL..

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Buy this instead
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

super_shorty_870.jpg

amlevin

Randy didn't cut it down he bought it from A federal agent that apparently did.

That doesn't agree with this account:
Weaver was approached at a 1986 Aryan Nations rally by ATF informant Kenneth Fadeley (posing as a biker named Gus Magisono) who was investigating Weaver's friend Frank Kumnick. Faderley presented himself as an illegal firearms dealer from New Jersey. Faderley met Weaver again at the 1987 World Congress. Weaver skipped the 1988 Aryan Nations meeting and ran as a candidate for county sheriff (and lost). In 1989, Weaver supplied two modified shotguns to Faderley. The ATF maintained that the weapons supplied by Weaver were illegally shortened when Faderley received them, Weaver has claimed otherwise. The DOJ Ruby Ridge Task Force Report (1994) records that Faderley stated Weaver showed him an unaltered shotgun and Faderley pointed out where he wanted Weaver to cut the gun.