Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question GFSZ

  1. #1
    Regular Member Teamtnt2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    77

    Question GFSZ

    I live in Janesville. My Question is with the GFSZ. I go to smokers world a lot, on the corner of Milwaukee and Pontiac. The shopping center itself, I'm pretty sure is within the 1000 allowed feet of a school zone. Does this school zone include the parking lot of this shopping center? Or am I ok since it's private property? Or is the parking lot not private property? Any help would be great thanks!!

    Carry On,
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Regular Member bluehighways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    142
    Private property is exempt from the GFSZ law. Be careful, though. Stepping onto a sidewalk for even a second puts you in violation. Some of the 'veterans' of OCDO will be able to answer your question in greater detail, and they're probably more articulate than I.

    As always, my disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    School zone only affects public areas, so sidewalks and roadways. Private property is exempt.

    I am curious though, if you live in a school zone and have a sidewalk, can you jump into the air, not touch the sidewalk to get to your mailbox, and not violate the GFSZ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  4. #4
    Regular Member bluehighways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    School zone only affects public areas, so sidewalks and roadways. Private property is exempt.

    I am curious though, if you live in a school zone and have a sidewalk, can you jump into the air, not touch the sidewalk to get to your mailbox, and not violate the GFSZ?
    That depends on where your mailbox lies in geographic location, Protias. If it is on the 'park lawn' as I call it, out near the street, then it is on city property and therefore public land. YOU, dear property owner still get the luxury of paying taxes on it plus maintenance and snow removal, but it is public land nonetheless as your local municipality owns it outright.

    So the short answer is NO. You cannot jump over the sidewalk carrying your sidearm to see what incredible credit card offers have shown up in the mailbox on any idle Tuesday, or any other day for that matter, should you live in a GFSZ. I do live in a GFSZ and it chaps my arse to no end that my wife cannot carry any more than weakened 'Wisconsin Approved' pepper spray when she goes on a stroll with our puppy and baby.

  5. #5
    Regular Member grinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pewaukee, WI
    Posts
    101
    Hmm, I'm wondering if residential sidewalks and boulevards are public easements on your land, or whether they're public land. Hmm...

  6. #6
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehighways View Post
    If it is on the 'park lawn' as I call it, out near the street, then it is on city property and therefore public land. YOU, dear property owner still get the luxury of paying taxes on it plus maintenance and snow removal, but it is public land nonetheless as your local municipality owns it outright.
    It is not the property of your municipality. They do not "own" it. It is part of the public right-of-way. You technically own the earth underneath it (often to the street centerline) but the municipality has use of it for the public street including the sidewalk and the planting strip between the sidewalk and the street.

    Quote Originally Posted by grinner View Post
    Hmm, I'm wondering if residential sidewalks and boulevards are public easements on your land, or whether they're public land. Hmm...
    They are public easements. For the purposes of GFSZ they are not private property even though you "own" the earth underneath them.
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 05-10-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •