• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question GFSZ

Teamtnt2004

I live in Janesville. My Question is with the GFSZ. I go to smokers world a lot, on the corner of Milwaukee and Pontiac. The shopping center itself, I'm pretty sure is within the 1000 allowed feet of a school zone. Does this school zone include the parking lot of this shopping center? Or am I ok since it's private property? Or is the parking lot not private property? Any help would be great thanks!!

Carry On,
Thomas

bluehighways

Private property is exempt from the GFSZ law. Be careful, though. Stepping onto a sidewalk for even a second puts you in violation. Some of the 'veterans' of OCDO will be able to answer your question in greater detail, and they're probably more articulate than I.

As always, my disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

protias

School zone only affects public areas, so sidewalks and roadways. Private property is exempt.

I am curious though, if you live in a school zone and have a sidewalk, can you jump into the air, not touch the sidewalk to get to your mailbox, and not violate the GFSZ?

bluehighways

School zone only affects public areas, so sidewalks and roadways. Private property is exempt.

I am curious though, if you live in a school zone and have a sidewalk, can you jump into the air, not touch the sidewalk to get to your mailbox, and not violate the GFSZ?

That depends on where your mailbox lies in geographic location, Protias. If it is on the 'park lawn' as I call it, out near the street, then it is on city property and therefore public land. YOU, dear property owner still get the luxury of paying taxes on it plus maintenance and snow removal, but it is public land nonetheless as your local municipality owns it outright.

So the short answer is NO. You cannot jump over the sidewalk carrying your sidearm to see what incredible credit card offers have shown up in the mailbox on any idle Tuesday, or any other day for that matter, should you live in a GFSZ. I do live in a GFSZ and it chaps my arse to no end that my wife cannot carry any more than weakened 'Wisconsin Approved' pepper spray when she goes on a stroll with our puppy and baby.

grinner

Hmm, I'm wondering if residential sidewalks and boulevards are public easements on your land, or whether they're public land. Hmm...

Interceptor_Knight

If it is on the 'park lawn' as I call it, out near the street, then it is on city property and therefore public land. YOU, dear property owner still get the luxury of paying taxes on it plus maintenance and snow removal, but it is public land nonetheless as your local municipality owns it outright.

It is not the property of your municipality. They do not "own" it. It is part of the public right-of-way. You technically own the earth underneath it (often to the street centerline) but the municipality has use of it for the public street including the sidewalk and the planting strip between the sidewalk and the street.

Hmm, I'm wondering if residential sidewalks and boulevards are public easements on your land, or whether they're public land. Hmm...
They are public easements. For the purposes of GFSZ they are not private property even though you "own" the earth underneath them.

Last edited: