• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great news!

boyscout399

I really don't like the wording in LD1347. It's not as good as it's toted to be. Yes we get park carry, but we lose something interesting too:

Sec. 6. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, as amended by PL 2007, c. 555, §1, is further amended to read:

2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:
A. [strike]Firearms[/strike] A firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in this chapter;
B. Disabling chemicals as described in Title 17A, section 1002;
C. Knives used to hunt, fish or trap as defined in Title 12, section 10001;
D. Law A firearm carried by a law enforcement officers officer, a corrections officers and officer or a corrections supervisors supervisor as permitted in writing by their the officer's or supervisor's employer;
E. [strike]Firearms[/strike] A firearm carried by a person engaged in conduct for which a state-issued hunting or trapping license is required and possessing the required license, or firearms a firearm carried by a resident person engaged in conduct expressly authorized by Title 12, section 11108 and section 12202, subsection 1. This paragraph does not authorize or permit the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle , except as provided by Title 12, section 11212, subsection 1, paragraph B

This means we cannot carry a Back up Gun because now we are limited to A firearm

There was a situation in Portland last year where I held onto Forrest's and Shane's firearms before a meeting while they were at school. That day I had two concealed firearms plus my own open firearm. Under this proposal I would not be allowed to do that anymore.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
I really don't like the wording in LD1347. It's not as good as it's toted to be. Yes we get park carry, but we lose something interesting too:

This means we cannot carry a Back up Gun because now we are limited to A firearm

There was a situation in Portland last year where I held onto Forrest's and Shane's firearms before a meeting while they were at school. That day I had two concealed firearms plus my own open firearm. Under this proposal I would not be allowed to do that anymore.
This is a nonissue. By law, the singular and the plural are interchangeable.

KBCraig

If it applies to a firearm, it applies to each firearm.

So, if the section doesn't apply to your main gun, it also doesn't apply to your BUG or any other firearm you're carrying.

rhenriksen

"premises licensed for the consumption of alcohol"

So carry in bars was formerly illegal, but now will be okay (assuming the bill makes it all the way into law)? Does Maine make any distinction between a restaurant that serves alcohol, and a full-on bar? In Texas, we can carry in any type of establishment that serves booze, as long as less than 51% of their revenue is from liquor sales (for on-premise consumption).

boyscout399

"premises licensed for the consumption of alcohol"

So carry in bars was formerly illegal, but now will be okay (assuming the bill makes it all the way into law)? Does Maine make any distinction between a restaurant that serves alcohol, and a full-on bar? In Texas, we can carry in any type of establishment that serves booze, as long as less than 51% of their revenue is from liquor sales (for on-premise consumption).

With regards to the alcohol establishments, this bill only changes the wording of the exemptions. Under current law you can carry into establishments that serve alcohol unless the owner posts no firearms allowed. This bill doesn't change that.

Maine CWP Training

Maine House Expected to Vote on Three Pro-Gun Bills Next Week

Contact your state Representative TODAY!

Three pro-gun bills are moving in the Maine Legislature and could be heard as early as next week in the state House. Legislative Document 35 is employee protection legislation, Legislative Document 932 would allow for the concealed carry of a firearm in the State House, and Legislative Document 1347 would expand the right-to-carry. These pro-gun bills would be a major step forward for the gun owners and sportsmen of Maine.

YOUR LEGISLATOR CAN BE FOUND HERE

Last edited:

carry for myself

any word on how the second bill is doing? just took my ccw course today. and my employer wants me to carry at work. however part of the resort has a restraunt wich has a liquor license so therefore none of us can carry.

so the second bill is highly important to me :)

boyscout399

any word on how the second bill is doing? just took my ccw course today. and my employer wants me to carry at work. however part of the resort has a restraunt wich has a liquor license so therefore none of us can carry.

so the second bill is highly important to me :)

Under current law it's perfectly legal to carry in an establishment that serves liquor. As long as the owner hasn't posted the property as No Firearms Allowed.

Link:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a private investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a private investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction

carry for myself

perfect. my CCW instructor had told me different. but then again hes former LEO. and also attempted to tell me that having a unloaded weapon on my passenger seat was illegal if i could reach the ammo. per the NRA/ILA Maine laws that state "it is unlawful for a person , while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, to have a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine clip or cylender"

at which point i argued him down and cited that law out of the paperwork he had given me himself :)

so good to know i can carry at smittys movie theatre , or olive garden :) thanks :)

boyscout399

perfect. my CCW instructor had told me different. but then again hes former LEO. and also attempted to tell me that having a unloaded weapon on my passenger seat was illegal if i could reach the ammo. per the NRA/ILA Maine laws that state "it is unlawful for a person , while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, to have a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine clip or cylender"

at which point i argued him down and cited that law out of the paperwork he had given me himself :)

so good to know i can carry at smittys movie theatre , or olive garden :) thanks :)

Yes, and Olive Garden is very pro carry at the corporate level. There was a letter from their corporate office floating around somewhere saying they follow state law regarding OC and when law allows a business the option of banning, they choose to allow it. I've carried at the OG in Biddeford twice with no problems.

carry for myself

Yes, and Olive Garden is very pro carry at the corporate level. There was a letter from their corporate office floating around somewhere saying they follow state law regarding OC and when law allows a business the option of banning, they choose to allow it. I've carried at the OG in Biddeford twice with no problems.

awesome. thats my girlfriends favorate place to go. she will be happy knowing we can go there when i carry :)