Thread: New tax on internet sales?

New tax on internet sales?

My local FFL was fit to be tied about charging tax for internet sales.

Anyone know the bill number?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It's not a bill. It's a law that has been in effect for a long time. It's called a use tax and applies to anything obtained from out of state for use inside the state of Washington that would normally have a sales tax charged on if purchased inside Washington State.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.12.020

The State of Washington has almost no ability to actually enforce this law at the individual consumer level, except in situations such as firearms, where the item must be transferred via an FFL whom the state can track their transactions.

Thank you for clarifying
    So they will track it now and tax all sales through FFl & CRL?

Quote Originally Posted by Stat View Post
    Thank you for clarifying
    So they will track it now and tax all sales through FFl & CRL?
    Not only will they, they already have for about a year. They have also gone after FFL dealers who failed to collect the use tax.
    Early on I looked for a dealer who would not collect the tax. Once I found out it was going to cause MORE trouble, I gave up the idea.
    At least for now, there seems to be no way around it, if you are filling out a 4473.

Gang:

Believe me, we hate it as much as you do... It is more paper work for us and it really ticks me off when I make $20 bucks on the sale of a firearm and the state makes $250 and doesn't do a damn thing!!!

The only thing I can tell you is to work a miracle invoice deal when you purchase your firearms... We are required to charge the invoice price (including shipping) or establish the market price... I go by the invoice that is sent with the firearm or that you bring me...

Sorry!!!!
    Last edited by Bucks Gun Shop; 05-09-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    "Like" us on Facebook at Buck's Gun Shop for regular specials and other savings.
    www.Bucks-Gun-Shop.com
    Earl@Bucks-Gun-Shop.com

The Constitution of the United States does not grant rights to citizens; it limits the powers of government to infringe on the rights which have already endowed upon us by our Creator. One of those is the right to keep and bear arms, to defend our persons and property in any manner we see fit.

Same tax you pay when you register an automobile you purchased out of state. They actually improperly call the tax on a car "sales tax".. it is not, it is a use tax, same rules, invoice or market. And they can question your invoice too If it looks out of line with market,

There is one possible exception to this. Just like when you bring a car into this State and can show that Sales Tax has been paid in the state where it was purchased, no Sales/Use Tax is collected when the vehicle is registered in WA.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Same tax you pay when you register an automobile you purchased out of state. They actually improperly call the tax on a car "sales tax".. it is not, it is a use tax, same rules, invoice or market. And they can question your invoice too If it looks out of line with market,
    Yea They charge tax on blue book value: I bought an old beat up 1957 chevy for $800.00 had the recipt in hand when I went to get tabs and they charged me use tax on the blue book value Of 12,000 plus dollars .I damb near paid as much in tax as I did for the car. Washington 1, consumer 0 again
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Yea They charge tax on blue book value: I bought an old beat up 1957 chevy for $800.00 had the recipt in hand when I went to get tabs and they charged me use tax on the blue book value Of 12,000 plus dollars .I damb near paid as much in tax as I did for the car. Washington 1, consumer 0 again
    When they tried that with me, for the purchase of a Federal Surplus dodge 4X4 I got an appraisal from a Dealer. They accepted the lower value of the appraisal. The State just won't accept those "Magic Invoices" everyone used to get showing they bought the vehicle for $100 and a case of oil.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    When they tried that with me, for the purchase of a Federal Surplus dodge 4X4 I got an appraisal from a Dealer. They accepted the lower value of the appraisal. The State just won't accept those "Magic Invoices" everyone used to get showing they bought the vehicle for $100 and a case of oil.
    Thats why its handy to have family that own a Licensing agency.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    Thats why its handy to have family that own a Licensing agency.
    As I understand, they can't just accept the "Magic Invoice", the vehicle owner needs to obtain a "waiver" from Department of Licensing or Dept of Revenue. I can't remember which it was but they were on Broadway, near the old American Legion at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Depends on where you go. Last year i bought a 2007 Kawi Ninja 650R for the unbelievable low price of $1800! The blue book is about $4k but i only got charged tax on $1800.
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

how will they track C&R purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    how will they track C&R purchases?
    Probably the same way they track Powder, Primer, and bullet purchases online. Either the purchaser volunteers or "Tough S#$%"