• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New tax on internet sales?

Stat

My local FFL was fit to be tied about charging tax for internet sales.

Anyone know the bill number?

Stat

It's not a bill. It's a law that has been in effect for a long time. It's called a use tax and applies to anything obtained from out of state for use inside the state of Washington that would normally have a sales tax charged on if purchased inside Washington State.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.12.020

The State of Washington has almost no ability to actually enforce this law at the individual consumer level, except in situations such as firearms, where the item must be transferred via an FFL whom the state can track their transactions.

Thank you for clarifying
So they will track it now and tax all sales through FFl & CRL?

Hammer

Thank you for clarifying
So they will track it now and tax all sales through FFl & CRL?

Not only will they, they already have for about a year. They have also gone after FFL dealers who failed to collect the use tax.
Early on I looked for a dealer who would not collect the tax. Once I found out it was going to cause MORE trouble, I gave up the idea.
At least for now, there seems to be no way around it, if you are filling out a 4473.

Bucks Gun Shop

Gang:

Believe me, we hate it as much as you do... It is more paper work for us and it really ticks me off when I make $20 bucks on the sale of a firearm and the state makes $250 and doesn't do a damn thing!!!

The only thing I can tell you is to work a miracle invoice deal when you purchase your firearms... We are required to charge the invoice price (including shipping) or establish the market price... I go by the invoice that is sent with the firearm or that you bring me...

Sorry!!!!

Last edited:

hermannr

Same tax you pay when you register an automobile you purchased out of state. They actually improperly call the tax on a car "sales tax".. it is not, it is a use tax, same rules, invoice or market. And they can question your invoice too If it looks out of line with market,

amlevin

There is one possible exception to this. Just like when you bring a car into this State and can show that Sales Tax has been paid in the state where it was purchased, no Sales/Use Tax is collected when the vehicle is registered in WA.

1911er

Same tax you pay when you register an automobile you purchased out of state. They actually improperly call the tax on a car "sales tax".. it is not, it is a use tax, same rules, invoice or market. And they can question your invoice too If it looks out of line with market,

Yea They charge tax on blue book value: I bought an old beat up 1957 chevy for $800.00 had the recipt in hand when I went to get tabs and they charged me use tax on the blue book value Of 12,000 plus dollars .I damb near paid as much in tax as I did for the car. Washington 1, consumer 0 again

amlevin

Yea They charge tax on blue book value: I bought an old beat up 1957 chevy for $800.00 had the recipt in hand when I went to get tabs and they charged me use tax on the blue book value Of 12,000 plus dollars .I damb near paid as much in tax as I did for the car. Washington 1, consumer 0 again

When they tried that with me, for the purchase of a Federal Surplus dodge 4X4 I got an appraisal from a Dealer. They accepted the lower value of the appraisal. The State just won't accept those "Magic Invoices" everyone used to get showing they bought the vehicle for $100 and a case of oil.

joeroket

When they tried that with me, for the purchase of a Federal Surplus dodge 4X4 I got an appraisal from a Dealer. They accepted the lower value of the appraisal. The State just won't accept those "Magic Invoices" everyone used to get showing they bought the vehicle for $100 and a case of oil.

Thats why its handy to have family that own a Licensing agency. :D

amlevin

Thats why its handy to have family that own a Licensing agency. :D

As I understand, they can't just accept the "Magic Invoice", the vehicle owner needs to obtain a "waiver" from Department of Licensing or Dept of Revenue. I can't remember which it was but they were on Broadway, near the old American Legion at the time.

therealcombat

Depends on where you go. Last year i bought a 2007 Kawi Ninja 650R for the unbelievable low price of $1800! The blue book is about $4k but i only got charged tax on $1800.