Thread: Two more interviews today

Two more interviews today

Dane County Exec and Sheriff held a news conference earlier today regarding concealed carry bills. I was contacted by Madison TV stations WKOW (Channel 27) and WISC (Channel 3) to provide another perspective.

Here's the story that aired on WKOW 6 pm news:

http://www.wkow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14599778

I haven't seen an online version of the WISC story yet, but will link to it when and if it's put online.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Wake Up People, think before you talk

Sheriff Mahoney says

"The bills should be modified so the records are linked to Department of Transportation databases. That way law enforcement could check to see if someone is permitted to carry a concealed weapon during a traffic stop"

He also thinks applicants should be required to receive training. Some gun rights advocates agree.

"It's just ludicrous to think that we can just give somebody a firearm and send them on their way. There needs to be some kind of training to it," said Scott Whiting, owner of Deerfield Pistol and Archery Center.

****My Comment and concerns on the Article****

Sheriff Mahoney, linking the records to those carrying a concealed firearm (not called weapon) to the Department of Transportation databases, could turn into a constitutional issue before, during and after the stop, depending on how the police officer reacts to the information. History has told us the reaction from law enforcement has been less then favorable to open carriers, therefore, I expect that concealed carriers in their vehicles will be subjected to the same.

Are the officers going to use this information to initiate a felony stop after they find out the driver has a concealed carry permit? Will they harass the driver like some law enforcement (not all) have harassed open carriers by searching their person and vehicle without permission? Will they be allowed to use concealed carry permit as a reason for a stop, running the plates, discovering he or she has a concealed carry permit and stopping them? I disagree with this proposal, its trouble waiting to happen.

Scott Whiting and Sheriff Mahoney, I hate to be the one to tell you, but, it’s time to wake up, Wisconsin is already allowing anyone who wants to, carry a firearm in the open without needing any training, and so far, the last time I checked on the internet and newspapers, its going very well, with the amount of people open carrying in Wisconsin, no one that I know,or have I read about, has had an issues while open carrying that would lead someone to sugest they require training to open carry, so, if it can be done with open carry, then it can be done with concealed carry, no training required, because, there is not now or will there be in the future, anything to be concerned about, people in Wisconsin can handle their firearms without training.

Don (cowboyridn)
    Last edited by cowboyridn; 05-10-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks for being the voice of reason Shotgun!

Sheriff Mahoney says
    "The bills should be modified so the records are linked to Department of Transportation databases. That way law enforcement could check to see if someone is permitted to carry a concealed weapon during a traffic stop"
    Again, why are they worried about the law-abiding citizen that took the time and effort to get the permit? If your stopped and don't have a permit linked to your plates are you then treated better?

OMG we might carry a firearm at the zoo! AT THE ZOO for crying out loud, oh the humanity........

Hey Shotgun. I saw you on the news. Well done; at least we got our side out there before permits are rammed down our throats. Seeing Joe "Pansy A$$" Parisi "urge the Assembly to reconsider" concealed carry legislation made me want to vomit, however. Anyway, I also found it disheartening that the owner of Deerfield Pistol Range is pro-permit. I'm sure the fact that he stands to make a tidy sum from training/range fees has nothing to do with his views, and that he is acting solely out of conviction. I suppose I should be happy that our political overlords (who do, of course, know what is best) have decided to throw us any kind of bone at all, even if only a metatarsal and not the femur we want.

'linking the permit list to the DMV data base...' interesting...could create some intereting situations if i borrow someones car, or lend mine out...giving the stopping officer a false impression as soon as he runs the plates, BEFORE he even gets out of his car...

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    'linking the permit list to the DMV data base...' interesting...could create some intereting situations if i borrow someones car, or lend mine out...giving the stopping officer a false impression as soon as he runs the plates, BEFORE he even gets out of his car...

thats is very true
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Yep, I drive a company car, registered in my company name.

I'm also sure that gangbangers will provide the courtesy of registering their unlicensed carry with their vehicles.

I thought the police trained to act as through there is always a gun in all vehicles they stop? I guess since Wisconsin doesn't currently have vehicle carry, it doesn't apply here.

Paul, requiring them to register would violate their 5th amendment rights, we wouldn't want them to incriminate themselves would we.
    Last edited by trailblazer2003; 05-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer2003 View Post
    I thought the police trained to act as through there is always a gun in all vehicles they stop? I guess since Wisconsin doesn't currently have vehicle carry, it doesn't apply here.
    Exactly! As I said someplace else, a LEO that assumes there are no guns in the car will probably have a short career when he rolls up on a criminal.

McX
    this concept will open a car carrier to police discrimination prior to the cop even leaving his car, and assessing the car carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Mahoney
    ...law enforcement could check to see if someone is permitted to carry a concealed weapon during a traffic stop
    Quote Originally Posted by paul
    ...a LEO that assumes there are no guns in the car will probably have a short career
    Bingo!
    So they run the plates & it comes back as registered to someone w/ no permission slip.
    They assume no guns, turns out the car has just been stolen & is filled w/ felons in posession who would like nothing better than to "off a few pigs".
    More names on the fallen officers' memorial.

In a just world, officers who think that the driver is the registered owner and has a permission slip would treat that person as completely harmless... as data from the past several decades across the country has shown that armed law-abiding citizens (esp. w/ permission slips) tend to be ultra law-abiding.

Scott Whiting, owner of Deerfield Pistol and Archery Center.
    Well, there's one place I won't be spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    ...gangbangers will provide the courtesy of registering their unlicensed carry with their vehicles.
    How can we get people to understand the simple fact that criminals ignore laws?
    It seems so obvious, but anti's persist in thinking that one more law, or a stricter punishment for breaking a law, will magically stop criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

It is a shame they only gave you a few short sentences compared to the opposition.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Nice job Auric, you represent us well. We will never get a fair shake from the liberal media so we need to get beyond that and become good ambassadors for our cause on a individual basis.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

I'm just a newcommer,but me thinx that allowing law enforcement to b able 2 check for permit holders is going 2 do more bad than good. Imho, seems like it would give le a false sense of securtity once a persons plates come back without a "permission sliip" attached to it, like they could let their gaurd down so to speak. And it may just be speculation but areent leo's always sopposed to be vigil and assume everyone is armed?

"It's just ludicrous to think that we can just give somebody a firearm and send them on their way. There needs to be some kind of training to it," said Scott Whiting, owner of Deerfield Pistol and Archery Center.

That comment makes zero sense,litteraly zero sense. Unless of course there is some reqiured training to purchase a firearm in the 1st place. And what bout oc? We can alredy just buy a pistol and "go on our way" so long as it's visibale.He sounds like a man that should not be selling firearms in the 1st place.

*I apoligize for my spelling ahead of time,grammer never was one of my good points.*