• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC!

Keens

Hello,

I am a newbie OC'er. I'm still a little nervous about OC'ing. I have a SW .40 Sigma with a Galco OWB holster and a Desantis magazine pouch. I am very aware of the laws, people's reactions, etc as I've been reading the forums and studying like crazy! The only time I have OC'd was in the parking lot and inside of Blucore, where I'm now a member of. They didn't mind nor did the people who were waiting for a lane (the non-members). Now how to ask my boss if I can OC at work?? Almost asked, but didn't know what to say.

Now, what makes me very nervous is OC'ing in public! I have read many forums where first timers are nervous. Especially when the cops get involved. An OC event or a simple meet for coffee with a fellow OC'ier would help me relax a bit when carrying. I don't have my CCW yet, btw.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Keens!
I am also relatively new to OC'ing. But once you visit a few places without incident, you soon learn that it really isn't a big deal, so long as you avoid Denver City and County like the plague! Think of it as psychic leprosy!

As for a meet-up with others who OC, you just missed a real nice one down in Colorado Springs. About 4 or 5 of us got together this past Saturday and had a great day of breakfast and gunfire! (not together of course!!!) Went shooting after breakfast at a local range.

Anyhow, being almost as new to OC'ing as you are, I have a few suggesitons.
Start off going to places where you are familiar to folks. They already know you somewhat, and are going to be more comfortable based on your previous demeanor.
My first trip out, I hit my local bank. Then I headed over to Best Buy after a trip through Home Depot. Either nobody noticed, or they simply didn't mind. I'm now getting where I seldom think about it. I just go about my business, and haven't had any adverse reactions.

As for asking your boss if you can carry at work, that would depend on what you do for a living. Don't be surprised if the answer is no. Hey, it happens. Just gotta abide by his decision unless you're hankering for a new job anyhow.

With all that as preamble, I'd like to invite you to spend an afternoon with me (or invite myself to spend an afternoon with you) and maybe get out and about to help you break the ice. After working on Tuesday, I'll be off for a few days and don't have anything going on until Saturday. Just PM if you'd like to spend part of a day.

Meanwhile, good luck and don't let nerves get you down. Eventually you'll get around and notice it doesn't seem to be all that traumatic.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Hello,

I am a newbie OC'er. I'm still a little nervous about OC'ing. I have a SW .40 Sigma with a Galco OWB holster and a Desantis magazine pouch. I am very aware of the laws, people's reactions, etc as I've been reading the forums and studying like crazy! The only time I have OC'd was in the parking lot and inside of Blucore, where I'm now a member of. They didn't mind nor did the people who were waiting for a lane (the non-members). Now how to ask my boss if I can OC at work?? Almost asked, but didn't know what to say.

Now, what makes me very nervous is OC'ing in public! I have read many forums where first timers are nervous. Especially when the cops get involved. An OC event or a simple meet for coffee with a fellow OC'ier would help me relax a bit when carrying. I don't have my CCW yet, btw.

Don't OC in Denver. Otherwise, you'll get used to it in the rest of the state. Just read the forum and you'll learn a lot.

Kingfish

You may notice that some have been approached by LEO or even harassed but you don't hear of ANYONE being arrested simply for OC anywhere (except Denver*.)

*Are there any recent stories of anyone arrested in Denver for OC?

mahkagari

*Are there any recent stories of anyone arrested in Denver for OC?

There was a bozo recently who came in here presenting himself as an EMT who backs up SWAT and rallied support for an overreaction to him OCing, including arrest and reportedly 10 LE vehicles stopping the bus he was on. Turns out he was unemployed, had a taken a few law enforcement classes and felt that donning a paramedic costume to tell his family he was "going to work" gave him the legal right to OC on public transit on par with a LEO. I believe the "ten vehicles" was actually "two", but they start with the same letter so you can see how he'd get that confused.

Kingfish

There was a bozo recently who came in here presenting himself as an EMT who backs up SWAT and rallied support for an overreaction to him OCing, including arrest and reportedly 10 LE vehicles stopping the bus he was on. Turns out he was unemployed, had a taken a few law enforcement classes and felt that donning a paramedic costume to tell his family he was "going to work" gave him the legal right to OC on public transit on par with a LEO. I believe the "ten vehicles" was actually "two", but they start with the same letter so you can see how he'd get that confused.
Yeah, I remember that one...I was talking about a legit story.

Keens

I'm aware of Denver city and county since I live there and will move to a more friendly city ASAP. I'm on page 23 of 37 for the Colorado forums as I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

M-Taliesin, I work in the automotive industry for a small company. I spend a few hours a day doing errands and sometimes have to go to Denver. I use a company car at work, which I doubt is an extension of the home like my personal car would be. I work normal hours m-f, so a weekend day would be better for someone to open carry with me for my first time. That way i can know how to respond if sheeple react. I will be definitely going to a OC meetup soon.

About that idiot fake paramedic, he did step onto public transportation with a OC firearm which is against the law. He made us law abiding citizens look bad all over the news.

Ilikesa

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum Keens! We may do another get together in June, you are welcome to join us. As far as OCing, just act natural. Most people react when the other person looks nervous while carrying...it's the demeanor, not the weapon (usually).

Keens

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum Keens! We may do another get together in June, you are welcome to join us. As far as OCing, just act natural. Most people react when the other person looks nervous while carrying...it's the demeanor, not the weapon (usually).

Hello Ilikesa, thank you for the welcome! I would love to join the OC get together this June. I will be checking the forum for the details. As for the reaction tip while OC'ing, of the 2 times I've done it (at my member range and in the mountains) I act normal and just mind my own business. No one seemed to care. I sure hope to be meeting lots more OC'ers soon at these gatherings!

M-Taliesin

Positive OC Experience

Howdy Folks!
Well, it hadda happen! My radiator blew up and I ended up needing my car towed to a repair facility. I was not carrying my sidearm at the time. The car was repaired and they sent a utility driver to fetch me to pick up my car from the shop.

The driver never said anything about my sidearm, and we rode to the shop in his car with me evidently more intimidated by the way that guy drove than he was of my weapon. I'm pretty sure I darn near put my foot through his floorboard by repeatedly smashing down on the invisible brake pedal on the passenger side. I don't get alarmed easily, but this guy's driving had me ready to get out and walk!

Anyhow, we somehow survived the trip over to Englewood and I walked in to speak with the man running the show at the shop. We looked at the damaged radiator, then walked back to look at the car. Then we moved back to the office area where we settled up on the bill. After about 30 minutes, he finally noticed the pistol holstered on my hip. He was surprised he hadn't noticed it earlier. I laughed and told him that most people don't notice it. We had a great discussion on OC and firearms in general before I finally left to drive myself home.

So the following day, I drove up to Brighton for work and stopped by my insurance agency to get paid for the tow bill (have towing insurance on my cars). Two of the agents were busy with other customers while the 3rd was busy on the phone. I stood to wait my turn and when it came, the gal waved me over as she hung up the phone. As I took my seat, she noticed my pistol and asked "What is that for?" I replied "For my protection, and the defense of my family and citizens around me."

We got busy with the bill, but she asked why I feel the need to carry a weapon. This gave me the opportunity to explain that the police have no duty or obligation to protect or defend the citizen in peril. I told her that was the effect of the Warren v. Disctrict of Columbia SCOTUS decision. Being discrete, I gave her some details of how the case developed and what the decision means for citizens... basically... when it comes to self defense, you are responsible for taking care of yourself! I also told her that average police response time runs from 6 to 8 minutes. (don't know where I read that stat, but it stuck in my neural net somewhere!) With that fact in mind, relayed how 6 to 8 minutes are an eternity when confronted with a felon.

She completed my transaction and handed me a check and asked if I had a permit for the handgun. This gave me the chance to explain that open carry is lawful here, and that my wife and I will be taking CCW classes this weekend. Around that time, her boss was in the front office and listening to the discussion. He told me he 'used to' carry a handgun openly because he frequently would have several thousand dollars in his possession. He also said he was planning a trip soon, and wondered if he should bring along his weapon. I told him he should have his gun available, maybe get that CCW permit too. "It is better to have a weapon and not need it, than to need it but not have it when your life is on the line!" He seemed to agree with that.

I also told them of the Texas legislator Dr. Suzanne Gratia who watched as her mother and father were shot dead in a restaurant in Killeen. She had a handgun but it was locked in her car in accord with existing Texas law. 22 people died in what became known as the Killeen Masacre, while her ability to defend the lives of her parents was hobbled by what she called "a bad law".

After a pleasant discussion of this sort, I left feeling like they understood why I open carry, and why I believe that honest and law abiding citizens deserve the right to self defense. Somewhere along the line, I also pointed out how gun free zones are hazardous to your health. After all, mass killings (such as Columbine or Post offices) happen at gun free zones. You don't get those at gun shows or NRA conventions. Bad guys don't go on the attack where people can shoot back!

As I drove off to work that day, I felt I'd changed a couple of minds about firearms and carry for self defense. If nothing else, I believe those folks were better informed about the rights of a citizen to own and carry a firearm.

All in all, a couple of real positive OC experiences.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Folks!
Well, it hadda happen! My radiator blew up and I ended up needing my car towed to a repair facility. I was not carrying my sidearm at the time. The car was repaired and they sent a utility driver to fetch me to pick up my car from the shop.

The driver never said anything about my sidearm, and we rode to the shop in his car with me evidently more intimidated by the way that guy drove than he was of my weapon. I'm pretty sure I darn near put my foot through his floorboard by repeatedly smashing down on the invisible brake pedal on the passenger side. I don't get alarmed easily, but this guy's driving had me ready to get out and walk!

Anyhow, we somehow survived the trip over to Englewood and I walked in to speak with the man running the show at the shop. We looked at the damaged radiator, then walked back to look at the car. Then we moved back to the office area where we settled up on the bill. After about 30 minutes, he finally noticed the pistol holstered on my hip. He was surprised he hadn't noticed it earlier. I laughed and told him that most people don't notice it. We had a great discussion on OC and firearms in general before I finally left to drive myself home.

So the following day, I drove up to Brighton for work and stopped by my insurance agency to get paid for the tow bill (have towing insurance on my cars). Two of the agents were busy with other customers while the 3rd was busy on the phone. I stood to wait my turn and when it came, the gal waved me over as she hung up the phone. As I took my seat, she noticed my pistol and asked "What is that for?" I replied "For my protection, and the defense of my family and citizens around me."

We got busy with the bill, but she asked why I feel the need to carry a weapon. This gave me the opportunity to explain that the police have no duty or obligation to protect or defend the citizen in peril. I told her that was the effect of the Warren v. Disctrict of Columbia SCOTUS decision. Being discrete, I gave her some details of how the case developed and what the decision means for citizens... basically... when it comes to self defense, you are responsible for taking care of yourself! I also told her that average police response time runs from 6 to 8 minutes. (don't know where I read that stat, but it stuck in my neural net somewhere!) With that fact in mind, relayed how 6 to 8 minutes are an eternity when confronted with a felon.

She completed my transaction and handed me a check and asked if I had a permit for the handgun. This gave me the chance to explain that open carry is lawful here, and that my wife and I will be taking CCW classes this weekend. Around that time, her boss was in the front office and listening to the discussion. He told me he 'used to' carry a handgun openly because he frequently would have several thousand dollars in his possession. He also said he was planning a trip soon, and wondered if he should bring along his weapon. I told him he should have his gun available, maybe get that CCW permit too. "It is better to have a weapon and not need it, than to need it but not have it when your life is on the line!" He seemed to agree with that.

I also told them of the Texas legislator Dr. Suzanne Gratia who watched as her mother and father were shot dead in a restaurant in Killeen. She had a handgun but it was locked in her car in accord with existing Texas law. 22 people died in what became known as the Killeen Masacre, while her ability to defend the lives of her parents was hobbled by what she called "a bad law".

After a pleasant discussion of this sort, I left feeling like they understood why I open carry, and why I believe that honest and law abiding citizens deserve the right to self defense. Somewhere along the line, I also pointed out how gun free zones are hazardous to your health. After all, mass killings (such as Columbine or Post offices) happen at gun free zones. You don't get those at gun shows or NRA conventions. Bad guys don't go on the attack where people can shoot back!

As I drove off to work that day, I felt I'd changed a couple of minds about firearms and carry for self defense. If nothing else, I believe those folks were better informed about the rights of a citizen to own and carry a firearm.

All in all, a couple of real positive OC experiences.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Talesin, it seems to me your latest post was meant to be a new posting of your own that somehow got attached as a reply to my own post. Anyway, still up for a Fri (tmw) OC like planned? My Buick needs its oil changed and i got a $20 oil change coupon which is $4 cheaper than me doing it myself at work (and if a lift is available). Mainly it's a good excuse for me to OC in new places for my first time so I can become more comfy than nervous OC'ing.