• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fourth marijuana conviction gets Slidell man life in prison

Beretta92FSLady

...and then what you get are a bunch of jurors post-conviction who state if they would have known all of the facts of the case they would not have came back with a 'guilty'. Marie Jane is the least of our problems in this country. If anything, marijuana would probably calm everyone the hell down.

eye95

The reduced charge, without previous convictions, could carry 15 years. This was his fourth conviction, at least three of which were the same crime! Maybe if they had been willing to lock him up the last two times, he might not have done it again. But, he essentially was getting away with breaking the law, so he :shocker: kept doing it!

I am shocked! :shocker: Shocked! :shocker:

He won't do it again now.

Patriot2A

We need to re-legalise it outright. No more screwing people, or screwing around with medical arguments. Amnesty and expongement for all priors.

I sort of agree, I don't smoke weed, but while I don't think it should be illegal, the government would have a hard time legalizing something that they've been fighting so hard against for so long.

beebobby

There are too many alphabet organizations that would lose their funding if it were to be legalized.

Last edited:

sharkey

The reduced charge, without previous convictions, could carry 15 years. This was his fourth conviction, at least three of which were the same crime! Maybe if they had been willing to lock him up the last two times, he might not have done it again. But, he essentially was getting away with breaking the law, so he :shocker: kept doing it!

I am shocked! :shocker: Shocked! :shocker:

He won't do it again now.

Do you feel the crime justifies the punishment? Do you find it humorous that he won't be able to do it again? (In all actuality he'll probably just set up shop in the prison.) I ask directly because tone does not always come through in text.

We can hardly be the nation of the free when we have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Once again I'll suggest reading "Three Felonies a Day".

I love this country but I laughed at land of the free since I was a child. Free to do whatever you want but suffer the consequences.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If something is illegal, then it's illegal.

Life in prison, though? That's a miscarriage of justice six ways to Sunday, regardless of whether that's in accordance with the backwards laws on the books in that neck of the woods.

And I'm quite familiar with just how backwards that area can get, as I grew up in Slidell (three years in the 70s, three summers in the 80s).

Last edited:

eye95

Do you feel the crime justifies the punishment? Do you find it humorous that he won't be able to do it again? (In all actuality he'll probably just set up shop in the prison.) I ask directly because tone does not always come through in text.

We can hardly be the nation of the free when we have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Once again I'll suggest reading "Three Felonies a Day".

I love this country but I laughed at land of the free since I was a child. Free to do whatever you want but suffer the consequences.

I believe his pattern of committing the same felony over and over again warranted the sentence. That is the purpose of repeat offender statutes.

Freedom never relieves one from consequences for his actions. That's kind of fundamental.

I am deliberately limiting my discussion to his life sentence for his fourth felony, three of which (at least) were the same crime. I am 100% behind repeat offender laws. My point was that, had he been really punished for the earlier felonies, maybe he would not have committed the fourth. We'll never know.

You see this from parents all the time. Parents try to be patient and tolerant and forgiving, thinking that a little understanding goes a long way--until they've had enough and they go inappropriately ballistic, seemingly with little cause. If discipline is applied judiciously from the get, going overboard later is prevented.

sudden valley gunner

If something is illegal, then it's illegal.

Life in prison, though? That's a miscarriage of justice six ways to Sunday, regardless of whether that's in accordance with the backwards laws on the books in that neck of the woods.

And I'm quite familiar with just how backwards that area can get, as I grew up in Slidell (three years in the 70s, three summers in the 80s).

I believe his pattern of committing the same felony over and over again warranted the sentence. That is the purpose of repeat offender statutes.

Freedom never relieves one from consequences for his actions. That's kind of fundamental.

I am deliberately limiting my discussion to his life sentence for his fourth felony, three of which (at least) were the same crime. I am 100% behind repeat offender laws. My point was that, had he been really punished for the earlier felonies, maybe he would not have committed the fourth. We'll never know.

You see this from parents all the time. Parents try to be patient and tolerant and forgiving, thinking that a little understanding goes a long way--until they've had enough and they go inappropriately ballistic, seemingly with little cause. If discipline is applied judiciously from the get, going overboard later is prevented.

These two posts show how Benthamite thinking and theories ( a Marxist before there was Karl Marx) have invaded our legal system and how people now rationalize/justify crimes that don't have victims.

Wasn't it Jefferson who said we have a duty to break unjust laws?

I don't smoke pot or do any other drugs. I am very unwilling to prosecute and send someone to prison for a crime that harms no one (but maybe themselves). And by our original Justice system neither were our founders.

How can people pretend to be for liberty and yet believe whole heartedly and believe then that our "authorities" can use the full power of state to crack down on individuals. And that this is the purpose of law in our country?

stainless1911

Banned
+1 SVG. Im against prosecuting ANY marijuana "crime", in part BECAUSE of outrageous charges like this one. It would make me happy if the citizens got together, and overtook the prison by force just to let this guy out.

sharkey

These two posts show how Benthamite thinking and theories ( a Marxist before there was Karl Marx) have invaded our legal system and how people now rationalize/justify crimes that don't have victims.

Wasn't it Jefferson who said we have a duty to break unjust laws?

I don't smoke pot or do any other drugs. I am very unwilling to prosecute and send someone to prison for a crime that harms no one (but maybe themselves). And by our original Justice system neither were our founders.

How can people pretend to be for liberty and yet believe whole heartedly and believe then that our "authorities" can use the full power of state to crack down on individuals. And that this is the purpose of law in our country?

Well said.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

There is no malum prohibitum offense for which you can punish a man enough that he will feel anything other than aggressed against, a victim of injustice.

sharkey

There is no malum prohibitum offense for which you can punish a man enough that he will feel anything other than aggressed against, a victim of injustice.

I failed latin. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.

Stop making me learn new things. :mad:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I failed latin. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.

Stop making me learn new things. :mad:

Malum prohibitum refers to something that is wrong merely because the law says so.

Compare with malum in se, which means wrong in and of itself.

For example, using marijuana is malum prohibitum because it is a victimless crime; thus it is wrong just because the law says so, not because it can really be demonstrated to be wrong. Whereas fraud is malum in se even if the law had not made it illegal.

If you want to see how tyranny creeps, look up prior restraint and evaluate it in light of malum prohibitum.

Last edited: