Thread: Working to Repeal GFSZA

Working to Repeal GFSZA

http://ok2a.wordpress.com/2011/05/06...ool-zones-act/

I found this on a local site I occasionally visit and thought you guys might be interested. If the GFSZA were to be flat out repealed that would be a huge win for 2a rights. Even if it were simply amended so that it didn't turn LACs into felons it would be better than what it is now. I don't really know who else they are working with, but I'm sure you could pass this along to any of your local 2a groups to try and help get even more support.

Here's their proposed changes:
    http://ok2a.files.wordpress.com/2011..._gfsza1689.pdf

Sensible.
    1) remove the "license" language, replace w/ "in compliance with the law of the state"
    2) discharge in accordance with state law is OK (e.g., self-defense)
    3) "school zone" is limited to the building & grounds of a school, not to include home schools.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

Sensible.
    1) remove the "license" language, replace w/ "in compliance with the law of the state"
    3) "school zone" is limited to the building & grounds of a school, not to include home schools.
    I know people are going to throw out the "test case" scenario, but technically the GFSZA is still repealed by Lopez.

It's not like magically re-enacting the law with a codification of all the failing arguments that the Solicitor General made before the SCOTUS would magically make it constitutional.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline View Post
    I know people are going to throw out the "test case" scenario, but technically the GFSZA is still repealed by Lopez.

It's not like magically re-enacting the law with a codification of all the failing arguments that the Solicitor General made before the SCOTUS would magically make it constitutional.
    It does not make it constitutional. (I think the SCOTUS would find it such again.) However, it does provide cover to officers to make arrests using the law. It needs to be repealed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

Sensible.
    Yea it looks like the changes would just make it as an additional charge for someone already committing a crime rather than turning an LAC into a criminal. Though I would rather see the whole law repealed.

I wrote a senator from Oklahoma yesterday (Coburn?), thanking him for supporting a repeal of this backwards piece of legislature. I find it difficult to believe that defending myself by discharging a lawful firearm remains a felony under this act if a criminal has the audacity to attack me within 1,000' feet of a K-12 school!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.