Thread: Defense of life vs property

State Researcher

Defense of life vs property

Always tough to make informed opinions from sketchy media accounts, but I will just point out that in Utah we cannot use deadly force to protect property, only life.

"Police arrested a man who they say stole a company pickup truck Friday and cited an employee who allegedly tried to stop the robber from getting away by firing a gun at it.

"As the employees confronted the suspected thief, he hurriedly backed the vehicle out, striking a BMW, said Salt Lake Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson. One of the employees then attempted to stop the vehicle by pulling out a handgun and firing at the tires.

"Steve Gibson, 38, was arrested for investigation of theft and outstanding warrants. The employee who fired the shots was cited for unlawful discharge of a firearm."

in front of my computer, WI
    Agree that more info is needed, though it doesn't look good for the shooter.
    If the thief tried to hit (or even came close to hitting) people w/ the vehicle, it'd be a good shooting. But then you don't shoot the car, you shoot the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    I will just point out that in Utah we cannot use deadly force to protect property, only life.

Absolutely correct my friend.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.