• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Casual LEO conversation shows surprising alarming perspective

fire suppressor

On my way home from work tonight I stopped at a local gas station for a soda. Still in my security uniform and duty belt (has everything cops carry minus a gun) I walked in got my soda and got in line to check out. I was second in line right behind a local Police Officer who was also getting a late night soda. A casual conversation started started by the Officer "how did your night go, any trouble makers tonight" so for and so on. We walked out of the gas station together and continued our conversation next to his vehicle. Our conversation stayed very casual for several minutes but eventually turned to work. The Officer started comparing our duty belts and asked me what type of gun I carry. I told the Officer work dose not allow me to carry a gun but I told him I always carry when off duty.
After a few more minutes the Officer asked what I thought about people who open carry while I am at work. I explained to the Officer how being a open carrier my self it dose not bother me and in fact I welcome the sight of guns while I am at work, I told him because I can't carry while on the clock it makes me feel better to know there is one near by. This got us started about open carry and the conversation changed. The Officer quoted RCW 9.41.270 in what seemed to be word for word in its entirety. The Officer then looked over at me and said "I know its legal for people to open carry but you understand if I get a 911 call for MWAG and I show up and tell you to cover it up you have to, right?"
I disagreed and asked him to explain he told me if someone had a problem with me carrying a gun in a holster and called 911 that would then be considered "displaying a weapon capable of producing bodily harm" and thus illegal by RCW 9.41.270. (his words) He then told me because he is a Officer of the law if I disobey a direct order from him I am then disobeying the law and that too is illegal. He then admitted he could not arrest me for open carrying but told me he could and would condensate my hand gun, write me a ticket, fine and detain me "as long as the law allows" for disobeying his "lawful order to cover it up" (again his words)
We talked for a few more minutes before he got in his police car and drove away. As he was walking away he told me "I'm just trying to look out for ya I'd hate to see you in jail because you misunderstood the law"

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
What a maroon!

On my way home from work tonight I stopped at a local gas station for a soda. Still in my security uniform and duty belt (has everything cops carry minus a gun) I walked in got my soda and got in line to check out. I was second in line right behind a local Police Officer who was also getting a late night soda. A casual conversation started started by the Officer "how did your night go, any trouble makers tonight" so for and so on. We walked out of the gas station together and continued our conversation next to his vehicle. Our conversation stayed very casual for several minutes but eventually turned to work. The Officer started comparing our duty belts and asked me what type of gun I carry. I told the Officer work dose not allow me to carry a gun but I told him I always carry when off duty.
After a few more minutes the Officer asked what I thought about people who open carry while I am at work. I explained to the Officer how being a open carrier my self it dose not bother me and in fact I welcome the sight of guns while I am at work, I told him because I can't carry while on the clock it makes me feel better to know there is one near by. This got us started about open carry and the conversation changed. The Officer quoted RCW 9.41.270 in what seemed to be word for word in its entirety. The Officer then looked over at me and said "I know its legal for people to open carry but you understand if I get a 911 call for MWAG and I show up and tell you to cover it up you have to, right?"
I disagreed and asked him to explain he told me if someone had a problem with me carrying a gun in a holster and called 911 that would then be considered "displaying a weapon capable of producing bodily harm" and thus illegal by RCW 9.41.270. (his words) He then told me because he is a Officer of the law if I disobey a direct order from him I am then disobeying the law and that too is illegal. He then admitted he could not arrest me for open carrying but told me he could and would condensate my hand gun, write me a ticket, fine and detain me "as long as the law allows" for disobeying his "lawful order to cover it up" (again his words)
We talked for a few more minutes before he got in his police car and drove away. As he was walking away he told me "I'm just trying to look out for ya I'd hate to see you in jail because you misunderstood the law"

I hope you got his name and department so you can contact his supervisor and get this erroneous thinking straightened out before he causes a legal hassle for someone AND his department.

1245A Defender

well,,,

that cops attitude is EXACTLY the same as the cop that ticketed josh w07rolla!
he told josh over and over to cover his gun. josh wouldnt cover, and got wrote
up for violating 9.41.270, lost his gun, and lost in court!
it is not sounding like much is being done about his appeal either.
starting to wonder if my donation was worthwhile.

SpyderTattoo

So the officer is using the first part of the RCW, "... display a weapon..." but not extending that to the whole part, "... in a manner...time...place...". He's just picking an choosing what part of the wording benefits him, not the RCW in it's entirety.

Sad, and shame on him.

amlevin

Officer must be from Poulsbo and had been drinking too much Pickled Herring juice.

So he believes just because he issues and order it is a "lawful order"? It would definitely be a good idea to advise his Department that he's just a little out of touch with the law. Maybe they could copy a couple of the other, larger, PD's training bulletins that explain that OC is perfectly legal. Maybe find a couple of other bulletins that explain how "making up laws as you go" isn't a real career builder either.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Law

Did he ask if you had a CPL? Because if you do not have a CPL, then he is breaking the law by telling you to break the law.

SpyderTattoo

LOL, that happened to me once with a couple of Kent PD bicycle patrol officers. I was OC without my CPL and they wanted me to cover up, just so we could stand there and talk. I had already told him that I didn't have my CPL on me and I asked him, " So, you're asking me to break the law?" His face dropped, and that was the end of that.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It appears this Officer has difficulty understanding, just because it comes out of his mouth does not mean it has the weight of law behind it.
He could use a refresher course in reading comprehension.

Savage206

He then admitted he could not arrest me for open carrying but told me he could and would condensate my hand gun, write me a ticket, fine and detain me "as long as the law allows" for disobeying his "lawful order to cover it up" (again his words)

The key word here is LAWFUL ORDER. He can give me as many tickets as he wants. They will all be dropped. I am so sick of hearing police repeat this utter BS. It is not my responsibility to make sure other people are educated enough that my OC doesn't cause them concern. Honestly I think if someone calls in a MWAG and it turns out to be a OC doing so legally and not waving a gun around or anything, that the person who called it in should be fined for the police's time. Next time learn the law before calling something into the police dummy.....:banghead:

Difdi

The key word here is LAWFUL ORDER. He can give me as many tickets as he wants. They will all be dropped. I am so sick of hearing police repeat this utter BS. It is not my responsibility to make sure other people are educated enough that my OC doesn't cause them concern. Honestly I think if someone calls in a MWAG and it turns out to be a OC doing so legally and not waving a gun around or anything, that the person who called it in should be fined for the police's time. Next time learn the law before calling something into the police dummy.....:banghead:

I've often wondered about the legality of a situation where an officer threatens arrest if you don't obey him, but obeying him would cause you to commit a crime. The officer has a gun, and may in fact be menacing you with it. Does this count as "under duress" legally speaking?

Suppose an officer issues a lawful order, like demanding you leave the scene when the only way to do that is to jaywalk? Or as in the original post in this thread, if you don't have a CPL and get ordered to "cover it up" or be arrested for disobeying, while obeying is in itself illegal? If you will be arrested for disobeying, does obeying, even though doing so is also a crime, provide you with a defense in court? Does the fact obeying is itself a crime provide a defense against the charge of disobeying? Or are you simply screwed no matter what you do in that sort of situation?

Last edited:

Freedom First

It's called coercion, and it is unlawful.

RCW 9A.36.070
Coercion.
(1) A person is guilty of coercion if by use of a threat he compels or induces a person to engage in conduct which the latter has a legal right to abstain from, or to abstain from conduct which he has a legal right to engage in.
(2) "Threat" as used in this section means:
(a) To communicate, directly or indirectly, the intent immediately to use force against any person who is present at the time; or
(b) Threats as defined in *RCW 9A.04.110(25) (a), (b), or (c).
(3) Coercion is a gross misdemeanor.

Wow. Is a clear threat of arrest considered "force" if used against a law abiding OCer? I.e. "Cover it or I'll arrest you..."

Difdi

(c) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

(d) To accuse any person of a crime or cause criminal charges to be instituted against any person; or

(h) To take wrongful action as an official against anyone or anything, or wrongfully withhold official action, or cause such action or withholding

To which can be added Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 13, Section 242 of the U.S. Code, which would add a federal charge on top of the state charge.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000242----000-.html

One thing I've been wondering for some time, but never gotten a straight answer on. I know what the RCWs have to say about citizen's arrest for state-level crimes, but I've never been able to find anything, anywhere, on whether witnessing someone commit a felony-level federal crime would justify a citizen's arrest. And who would you deliver the arrestee to, and/or call for pickup? I've tried asking the state AG's office via email, but got an answer that basically, minus the bureaucratese, said they only provide services to the People, not individual citizens, and refused to answer beyond that.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

I was trying to get my enter encounter across without making the post too long for everyone. One other thing the Officer told me is open carry is "only legal if no one has a problem with it" this statement then lead into his resisting of the RCW. Frustrating and scary to know there are still cops out there with this level of thinking. If he was to respond to a 911 call generated because of one of us there would be no good way to get out of the situation

sudden valley gunner

I was trying to get my enter encounter across without making the post too long for everyone. One other thing the Officer told me is open carry is "only legal if no one has a problem with it" this statement then lead into his resisting of the RCW. Frustrating and scary to know there are still cops out there with this level of thinking. If he was to respond to a 911 call generated because of one of us there would be no good way to get out of the situation

Or he just could be full of hot air trying to intimidate you into not doing something you have the legal right to do.

usamarshal

If you don't obey everything he tells you, because even though he's wrong, his word is the law and he can arrest and/or cite you for disobeying him? Holy crap....haha...I wonder if he was married or not...haha :uhoh:

amlevin

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.04.110

RCW 9A.04.110
Definitions.

*** CHANGE IN 2011 *** (SEE 1188-S.SL) ***

In this title unless a different meaning plainly is required:

(27) "Threat" means to communicate, directly or indirectly the intent:

(a) To cause bodily injury in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or

(b) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or

(c) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

(d) To accuse any person of a crime or cause criminal charges to be instituted against any person; or

(e) To expose a secret or publicize an asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule; or

(f) To reveal any information sought to be concealed by the person threatened; or

(g) To testify or provide information or withhold testimony or information with respect to another's legal claim or defense; or

(h) To take wrongful action as an official against anyone or anything, or wrongfully withhold official action, or cause such action or withholding; or

(i) To bring about or continue a strike, boycott, or other similar collective action to obtain property which is not demanded or received for the benefit of the group which the actor purports to represent; or

(j) To do any other act which is intended to harm substantially the person threatened or another with respect to his health, safety, business, financial condition, or personal relationships;

Now all that's needed is for someone complain and have a Prosecutor charge the individual. Some how I think we'll see this first:

2502_picture_of_a_happy_flying_pig_with_wings_and_goggles.jpg

sudden valley gunner

Now all that's needed is for someone complain and have a Prosecutor charge the individual. Some how I think we'll see this first:

2502_picture_of_a_happy_flying_pig_with_wings_and_goggles.jpg

I have brought this up to prosecutors (they really don't like me now in this town/county) you should see the uncomfortable look in their eyes.

One of Bellingham's prosecutors just said I have never brought charges against a police officer and don't see me doing so.