• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How willing would you be to argue your rights with THIS Deputy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlevin

A Deputy that slammed an innocent party into a wall, causing brain damage and costing King County $10 Million, seems to have a way of keeping his actions just inside "Policy". Still ends up injuring subjects that "challenge his authority or don't show him respect"

http://www.king5.com/news/Frequent-...ntinues-even-after-tragic-case-121509239.html

So he stops you while Open Carrying and demands ID, etc, etc,. How willing to "challenge his authority" will you be, especially if you know what his "record" is?

Wonder where King County is going to find the next "$10 Million" for payment for his future actions. As long as he's on the force it's a matter of When, not If, he will end up severely injuring someone who pi$$es him off.

So much for the "Police Policing Themselves".

ApacheBunny

the sad part, the Sheriff is scared of firing her own deputy because he has a long list of questionable actions and putting a guy in a wheelchair permanently. She scared that he might put her in a wheelchair in retaliation if she fires him, he sounds like the type to flip out if something doesn't go his way so OCers watch out.

MKEgal

“Preliminary conclusion is that our deputy didn’t break any laws from his use of force,” said King County Sheriff's Office spokesman...
That will be up to a jury to decide.

Matt Paul. He’s 29-years-old and has been with the sheriff’s office for five and a half years.
KING 5 obtained Paul's file through public disclosure and analyzed 2,000 pages of documents spanning his entire career.
Slightly under 400 pages per year?!?!? And even with all the documented "concerns" about his use of force they still can't fire the guy?

His supervisors... warned him to look for alternatives and to avoid arresting people simply because they challenged his authority or weren't respectful.
So they know he's breaking laws, littler laws, and don't stop him cold.
No wonder he went on to use excessive force - he'd gotten away with the little stuff.

Deputy Paul has a lot of 'use of forces' and I am concerned about that,” said Sheriff Rahr. “His supervisors are very aware of how he performs his job and they're watching what he's doing. I can't turn around and fire a deputy because I have concerns."
:banghead: :cuss:
You can fire him because he's assaulted people under color of law (that's a crime) & he's going to cost your department more millions of dollars the next time he nearly kills someone.

M

McX

in accordance with the thread title, my response would be i dont argue with murders.

usamarshal

Sounds like this deputy has a beat where he "fuks" around with people that have been drinking and having a good time. Just trying to figure out why jay walking would be enough justification for any officer in any department to do a take down like this deputy does...haha...I guess beat down first and ask questions later?

amlevin

Sounds like this deputy has a beat where he "fuks" around with people that have been drinking and having a good time. Just trying to figure out why jay walking would be enough justification for any officer in any department to do a take down like this deputy does...haha...I guess beat down first and ask questions later?

Steroids maybe?

jbone

in accordance with the thread title, my response would be i dont argue with murders.

I don't know who he murdered, but from what I just heard about this guy in the King 5 story it's only a matter of time, IMO.

Dave_pro2a

the sad part, the Sheriff is scared of firing her own deputy because he has a long list of questionable actions and putting a guy in a wheelchair permanently. She scared that he might put her in a wheelchair in retaliation if she fires him, he sounds like the type to flip out if something doesn't go his way so OCers watch out.

That's because she is a giant KITTEN.

It's not King County Sheriff Sue Rahr, it's Sue Meow. Or maybe it should be "Sue Me"

That "sheriff Deputy" Matthew Paul doesn't need to be fired... he needs to be in PRISON. He needs to get colon rectal cancer, brain cancer, breast cancer or lung cancer -- or all of them at once.

And no, I would never 'argue' my rights with a police officer. I would remain silent and hand them the business card of my attorney.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Government job = welfare (often)

It's a damn union shame, and tax paying citizens are the victim every single day.

Same with teachers. Fire the bad ones asap. It DOES become obvious who is bad and who is good pretty quick, the problem is the unions and bureaucracy -- and both can be dealt with. AFAIK Washington is NOT a right to work state. Screw the unions, fire the bad apples..

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

You can fire him because he's assaulted people under color of law (that's a crime) & he's going to cost your department more millions of dollars the next time he nearly kills someone.

No big deal. It's not like the King County Sheriff Department has a budget crisis or anything.

;)

sudden valley gunner

I would refuse ID. No one said standing up for what is right would be easy. I have a feeling this jerk will cross the wrong guy one day. And then when he gets hurt or killed the LEO will make a public outcry about it. And the dangers of his job.:rolleyes:

Jayd1981

I can't believe he is still employed. Flipping off a cop is not a crime. It's definately disrespectful, but not criminal. So the only criminal act the guy committed was jaywalking. Slamming him to the ground (and breaking his nose) over jaywalking, how the hell is it within departmental guidelines to use that force for probably the lowest class of misdeamor?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I can't believe he is still employed.

I can. This man is an absolute hero. His valiant defense of the respect he is due is an inspiration to us all.

I'm a tad disappointed he hasn't had a team of heroic snipers on standby to shoot these offenders in the face, but I understand they have to work with limited resources.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think the thread title is a little assumptive.

I've always recommended being polite when exercising rights during a police encounter.

Big difference between a police consent-refusal while complying with orders, and arguing.

Dave_pro2a

Big difference between a police consent-refusal while complying with orders, and arguing.

And apparently, in this specific case, there is very little difference between being a police officer and being a CRIMINAL.

The Dishonorable Officer Matthew Paul (and for google purposes Matt Paul and Mat Paul) May this thread pop up forever after when someone googles his name.

May his name bring shame on him and his family forever.

Badger Johnson

I get the sense that some PD like having a guy who is a bit of a loose cannon to instill FU&D in the citizens and whom the PD can cut loose if it gets out of hand.

No reasonable person would say that this amount of force is necessary or justified. Apparently having a 'cannon' in this locale is worth about, oh, 10 mil.

jarhead1911A

At some point he will rough up another LEO who is off duty and that LEO will take care of the problem for everybody...

Or maybe there is a Retired Federal agent that wants to help this guy along with his removal from public view.

Status
Not open for further replies.