Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Public Radio interview/debate tomorrow (Wed) from 7 - 8 am

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar

Wisconsin Public Radio interview/debate tomorrow (Wed) from 7 - 8 am

I will be doing an hour long debate on WPR tomorrow morning with Ladd Everitt from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Moderated by Joy Cardin. http://www.wpr.org/ We will be debating the concealed carry legislation in the state legislature. They originally invited Jeri Bonovia from W.A.V.E. to debate me. She declined. I would have really enjoyed that.

7 - 8 am central time. You can listen online or find a station near you from their website.

http://www.wpr.org/
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Results as of an hour ago. Break a leg.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 05-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    I will be doing an hour long debate on WPR tomorrow morning with Ladd Everitt from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Moderated by Joy Cardin. http://www.wpr.org/ We will be debating the concealed carry legislation in the state legislature. They originally invited Jeri Bonovia from W.A.V.E. to debate me. She declined. I would have really enjoyed that.

7 - 8 am central time. You can listen online or find a station near you from their website.

http://www.wpr.org/
    She didn't want to debate because she's unarmed.

I hope to remember to listen live, otherwise, I hope a link is posted for the podcast.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    She didn't want to debate because she's unarmed.
    FACTUALLY unarmed would be the correct term I believe. It's much easier to do her hit and run "facts" with no one to question her then to debate someone face to face who happens to have the facts on their side.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

It wouldn't hurt to mention a 2007 (international) study conducted by the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy found that gun laws and gun bans do nothing to reduce murder or suicide. Instead, they found that gun laws/restrictions/bans are a response to violence that simply doesn't work to stop the problem. They also reviewed a 2004 study by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences that came to a similar conclusion: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

While the anti's love the lie that we have the highest murder rate of any industrialized country, Russia has a total handgun ban and a homicide rate that is 3-4 times that of the United States.
    Last edited by scm54449; 05-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

there's also a poll on the WPR site

Hit this poll, let's get the numbers closer to the JS poll (10,000+, with 60% in favor of Constitutional Carry).
    Currently (12:50pm on WED the 11th) the WPR poll has 727 responses:
    82 in favor of permits & training [11%]
    481 for Constitutional Carry [66%]
    164 against concealed carry, period [23%]
    http://www.wpr.org/cardin/
    That's more like it. We just gotta make the right people aware that their input is needed...

Toll-free call-in number 1-800-642-1234 (Madison Listeners please use 263-1890).
    You can also e-mail us at talk@wpr.org.
    Actually, I think the debate isn't whether we should be a concealed-carry state, but whether or not we'll let the gov't regulate our rights.
    So email now, and if you're able to call or listen tomorrow do that too.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-11-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: updating poll totals :D

Good luck and have fun. Be the ice to their fire, they seem to go all up in flames when confronted with rational/well spoken arguments. Anyone able to record this for later posting tomorrow? No access at work.

Edit: Let definitely hit that poll hard, the anti's are ahead atm.
    Last edited by Wolf1477; 05-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.

4 for Constitutional Carry now .
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

5 now. Let's light this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman383 View Post
    5 now. Let's light this one up.
    8 for "OK without a permit." Let's keep it climbing . . .

1:04 PM

24 for "OK without a permit."
    Last edited by Running Wolf; 05-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by scm54449
    2007 study conducted by the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy found that gun laws and gun bans do nothing to reduce murder or suicide.
    ...Russia has a total handgun ban and a homicide rate that is 3-4 times that of the United States.
    Wow... that article is a treasure trove! From the link you provided, very first page:
    In the 1960s and early 1970s, the gun-less Soviet Union's murder rates paralleled or generally exceeded those of gun-ridden America. While American rates stabilized and then steeply declined, however, Russian murder increased so drastically that by the early 1990s the Russian rate was three times higher than that of the United States. Between 1998-2004 (the latest figure available for Russia), Russian murder rates were nearly four times higher than American rates.
    Luxembourg, where handguns are totally banned and ownership of any kind of gun is minimal, had a murder rate nine times higher than Germany [with relatively high rates of gun ownership] in 2002.
    In 2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation from a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents.
    It's a 35-page article; I'm not going to wade through all of it right now. But wow.
    Thanks for posting that!!
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Is it is:

8 permit
    54 Constitutional
    16 ban
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Joy Cardin is usually fairly fair. I have to be at work at 7 but I will try to listen online.

I submitted my vote to that poll, and I plan on listening to to it tomorrow morning on the way to work. I also called my Senator Sheila Harsdorf as well yesterday and left her a message asking to cosponsor the constitutional carry bill. She's facing a potential recall, and I told her I'd definitely vote for her if she cosponsors and they do get enough signatures to recall her.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I just got home and voted
    As of about 9:30 PM

Concealed carry legislation
    Proposed legislation in Wisconsin by two Republican lawmakers would allow citizens to conceal and carry firearms; one bill would require a permit and training, the other would not. Which of the following best describes how you feel?

Concealed carry OK, but with a permit and training(40 Responses)12%
    Concealed carry OK without a permit or training(242 Responses)72%
    Opposed to concealed carry(52 Responses)16%
    Total: 334 respondents

This guy Ladd Everitt is spouting lies and hysterical, fear-based, knee-jerk reactions to the thought of "maniacs carrying guns in public."

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    This guy Ladd Everitt is spouting lies and hysterical, fear-based, knee-jerk reactions to the thought of "maniacs carrying guns in public."
    Its all he can do... The truth is on my side
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 05-11-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

A good sign, the phone lines are busy.

One argument I came up with against 'permits and training' last night. There were over 40,000 traffic fatalities last year and just about all of those involved people who had a permit and training, so, that means that permitting and training does not guarantee safety. The same statistics said there were approximately 2000 accidental firearm deaths, so, while there are more drivers than gun owners (assumption), there aren't 20 times more.

Its all he can do... The truth is on my side
    I hope you point out, again, that we're already "allowed" to carry a gun on the street.

Campaign Veteran
    Listening to it right now, and awesome job as always Nik. Wow I can't really decide what to say about this Ladd Everitt guy though, first thing that pops into my head is "irrational fear mongerer".

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    One argument I came up with against 'permits and training' last night. There were over 40,000 traffic fatalities last year and just about all of those involved people who had a permit and training, so, that means that permitting and training does not guarantee safety. The same statistics said there were approximately 2000 accidental firearm deaths, so, while there are more drivers than gun owners (assumption), there aren't 20 times more.
    Right. Legislation doesn't create safety, individuals acting safely is the only source.

Quote Originally Posted by BJA View Post
    Listening to it right now, and awesome job as always Nik. Wow I can't really decide what to say about this Ladd Everitt guy though, first thing that pops into my head is "irrational fear mongerer".
    Yeah, he seems flustered. I'm taking a few digs to really get him riled. anti-gun folks are already emotion based thinkers, but you get them riled up and their emotions really cloud their judgment, they make stupid comments (like he has) that are easy to refute.

Like his comment that the police couldn't do anything about a guy threatening people with a gun UNTIL he shoots someone... what a dumb comment.
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 05-11-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Like his comment that the police couldn't do anything about a guy threatening people with a gun UNTIL he shoots someone... what a dumb comment.
    +1

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Yeah, he seems flustered. I'm taking a few digs to really get him riled. anti-gun folks are already emotion based thinkers, but you get them riled up and their emotions really cloud their judgment, they make stupid comments (like he has) that are easy to refute.

rock on Nik
    you dont even hve to try to make him look bad he des it on his own
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Ladd seems to think a permit will make criminals all of a sudden obey the law!

Great job Nik!!!!
    Last edited by Running Wolf; 05-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast