• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Radio interview/debate tomorrow (Wed) from 7 - 8 am

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I will be doing an hour long debate on WPR tomorrow morning with Ladd Everitt from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Moderated by Joy Cardin. http://www.wpr.org/ We will be debating the concealed carry legislation in the state legislature. They originally invited Jeri Bonovia from W.A.V.E. to debate me. She declined. :( I would have really enjoyed that.

7 - 8 am central time. You can listen online or find a station near you from their website.

http://www.wpr.org/

HandyHamlet

Results as of an hour ago. Break a leg.

Screen-shot-2011.jpg

Last edited:

protias

I will be doing an hour long debate on WPR tomorrow morning with Ladd Everitt from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Moderated by Joy Cardin. http://www.wpr.org/ We will be debating the concealed carry legislation in the state legislature. They originally invited Jeri Bonovia from W.A.V.E. to debate me. She declined. :( I would have really enjoyed that.

7 - 8 am central time. You can listen online or find a station near you from their website.

http://www.wpr.org/
She didn't want to debate because she's unarmed. :p

I hope to remember to listen live, otherwise, I hope a link is posted for the podcast.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
It wouldn't hurt to mention a 2007 (international) study conducted by the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy found that gun laws and gun bans do nothing to reduce murder or suicide. Instead, they found that gun laws/restrictions/bans are a response to violence that simply doesn't work to stop the problem. They also reviewed a 2004 study by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences that came to a similar conclusion: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go2782/is_2_30/ai_n29346290/?tag=content;col1

While the anti's love the lie that we have the highest murder rate of any industrialized country, Russia has a total handgun ban and a homicide rate that is 3-4 times that of the United States.

Last edited:

MKEgal

there's also a poll on the WPR site

Hit this poll, let's get the numbers closer to the JS poll (10,000+, with 60% in favor of Constitutional Carry).
Currently (12:50pm on WED the 11th) the WPR poll has 727 responses:
82 in favor of permits & training [11%]
481 for Constitutional Carry [66%]
164 against concealed carry, period [23%]
http://www.wpr.org/cardin/
That's more like it. We just gotta make the right people aware that their input is needed... :D

Toll-free call-in number 1-800-642-1234 (Madison Listeners please use 263-1890).
You can also e-mail us at talk@wpr.org.
Actually, I think the debate isn't whether we should be a concealed-carry state, but whether or not we'll let the gov't regulate our rights.
So email now, and if you're able to call or listen tomorrow do that too.

Last edited:

Wolf1477

Good luck and have fun. Be the ice to their fire, they seem to go all up in flames when confronted with rational/well spoken arguments. Anyone able to record this for later posting tomorrow? No access at work.

Edit: Let definitely hit that poll hard, the anti's are ahead atm.

Last edited:

MKEgal

scm54449 said:
2007 study conducted by the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy found that gun laws and gun bans do nothing to reduce murder or suicide.
...Russia has a total handgun ban and a homicide rate that is 3-4 times that of the United States.
Wow... that article is a treasure trove! From the link you provided, very first page:
In the 1960s and early 1970s, the gun-less Soviet Union's murder rates paralleled or generally exceeded those of gun-ridden America. While American rates stabilized and then steeply declined, however, Russian murder increased so drastically that by the early 1990s the Russian rate was three times higher than that of the United States. Between 1998-2004 (the latest figure available for Russia), Russian murder rates were nearly four times higher than American rates.

Luxembourg, where handguns are totally banned and ownership of any kind of gun is minimal, had a murder rate nine times higher than Germany [with relatively high rates of gun ownership] in 2002.

In 2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation from a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents.

It's a 35-page article; I'm not going to wade through all of it right now. But wow.
Thanks for posting that!!

Last edited:

Pyro01

I submitted my vote to that poll, and I plan on listening to to it tomorrow morning on the way to work. I also called my Senator Sheila Harsdorf as well yesterday and left her a message asking to cosponsor the constitutional carry bill. She's facing a potential recall, and I told her I'd definitely vote for her if she cosponsors and they do get enough signatures to recall her.

phred

I just got home and voted
As of about 9:30 PM

Concealed carry legislation
Proposed legislation in Wisconsin by two Republican lawmakers would allow citizens to conceal and carry firearms; one bill would require a permit and training, the other would not. Which of the following best describes how you feel?

Concealed carry OK, but with a permit and training(40 Responses)12%
Concealed carry OK without a permit or training(242 Responses)72%
Opposed to concealed carry(52 Responses)16%
Total: 334 respondents

paul@paul-fisher.com

A good sign, the phone lines are busy.

One argument I came up with against 'permits and training' last night. There were over 40,000 traffic fatalities last year and just about all of those involved people who had a permit and training, so, that means that permitting and training does not guarantee safety. The same statistics said there were approximately 2000 accidental firearm deaths, so, while there are more drivers than gun owners (assumption), there aren't 20 times more.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
Listening to it right now, and awesome job as always Nik. Wow I can't really decide what to say about this Ladd Everitt guy though, first thing that pops into my head is "irrational fear mongerer".