• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A meeting with my County Attourney tomorrow.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I know, or at least I'd hope to, that a disorderly conduct charge wouldn't stick. This is my first encounter with an officer while oc'ing and I didn't feel like pressing the issue, missing my chance to speak, and having to further deal with defending myself against the egregious balogney charge. It's as if you're reading my mind Gutshot, because I intend to go to each meeting with my firearm. I'll get better about defending my positions as I continue to do so. On another note, I tried to file a complaint against Chief Berry today and the lady told me I would have to call the City Manager or the Mayor to file that complaint. Suppose I'm going to have to put pressure on that too. Why do they insist on fighting when they're so obviously in the wrong? I wouldn't be nearly so irate if they would just fix the problem and adjust rather than try and force an issue and be difficult about it.

This is simply how government works. Everyone that has positions within state, county, or city government also believes they are above the law, at least everyone I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. As I write this, im setting at a computer at my county library that was supposed to remove a sign that states no concealed weapons or dangerous weapons of any kind are allowed, which is a violation of which you speak, so I will call tom. and get a meeting with my lovely county judge/exec. and ask him why these are still visible to patrons entering the county owned building. They will try and fight you all they can over firearm violations, and bully you.....dont back down from them, and you should have refused to leave for wearing your gun, I know its easier said than done but you would of had a great case against the local government then.....My last fiscal court meeting i had the pleasure of the county sheriff setting right beside me, how intimidated i was, haha

CharleyCherokee

I've also been fighting their complete ban of firearms and such within the courthouse. I called the Sheriff today at the direction of the County Attorney to question the order keeping people from carrying there. He sent me a copy of the order in my email. I'd attach it to the post, but apparently it's too large of a pdf file to be attached. It's an order signed by the judges. Any suggestions on how to get the ball moving to have this order lifted? Actually I just reread your post where you dealt with pretty much the same thing, Gutshot. I will email the judges, but I would request some help with the wording of them. I have no idea what I should say to them other than "The signs MUST come down! KRS demands it! I demands it!" :D

Last edited:

langzaiguy

@KYGlockster I believe that localities may regulate concealed carry in public buildings. The library signs may be legit.

@Charley If it's a judicial order banning guns, are you sure this court house isn't a justice center? Typically the courthouse has nothing to do with justice and it's a county building. Perhaps this building is different?

CharleyCherokee

It is not specifically for court. The county clerk's office is in the building as well as the county attorney and other offices. Their complete ban in the building is precisely the same as in Gutshots thread.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
@KYGlockster I believe that localities may regulate concealed carry in public buildings. The library signs may be legit.

@Charley If it's a judicial order banning guns, are you sure this court house isn't a justice center? Typically the courthouse has nothing to do with justice and it's a county building. Perhaps this building is different?

Yes yOu are correct, they can prohibit ccarry but only if the county legislative body passes an ordinance allowing county buildings to prohibit concealed weapons, which Boyd county fiscal court has not done, therefore these signs are not enforceable. Yet the sign at the library also says no dangerous weapons allowed at all, which I'm sure u know, openly carried firearms can not be banned in any county, city, or state buildings other thatn the very few allowed to do so in accordance with state law, and a public library isn't one of these buildings. However I have scheduled a meeting with him Tom., since I'm off work enjoying my lovely (not) furlough day Neways, so we will see his excuses this time. I'm gonna throw official misconduct at him since it is his job to prohibit buildings from doing things such as putting these signs up. He knows they aren't in accordance with state law, yet they are still up, so well see.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
yes, that is what the sign says, however how can they even have this sign up and it not be a violation, iono, but i had a meeting with the judge/exec. this morning and his tone changed. he said he discussed this with the county attorney, yet he couldnt recall what the county attorney had told him. I asked if there was an ordinance he said no, yet he also said the county doesnt own the library in anyway, and that all he does is put two trustees on the board. He also said the state owns our county health dept., not the city and county, which i know is certainly a lie because at the last fiscal court meeting the court was talking about them and ashland owning it. When i told him about the fiscal court discussing this he said i mustve misunderstood them, which i did not, and I said that 237.115 is the only law that authorizes them to ban carry in anyway. However, he told me to go talk to the county attorney, so i went to his office and spoke with a very rude lady that tried saying these signs are placed by federal government, not the county, at which point i smirked and said that was very far from the truth, and i had paper work to show to the attorney. she said she couldnt get me a meeting with him unless he approved, which i found odd, and copied all my paper work, which had the krs for official misconduct, and malfeasance in it. I can see this is gonna be a battle with these people, it is amazing how ignorant our public officials are of state law. And, to make things worse, i was recording this the whole time, and when i got outside and listened, as soon as i got close to the courthouse, it quite recording, it just had a squelching sound, so i lost everything. Once i got away from the courthouse i tried recording myself speaking, and it worked just fine again. They must have something that was making it not work or sumptn, but it wouldve been nice to have him on record saying to my face that the county didnt own either building, when i know they do.....any help???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They must have something that was making it not work or sumptn, but it wouldve been nice to have him on record saying to my face that the county didnt own either building, when i know they do.....any help???

Please tell us you are not serious. :eek:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Hahaha, it just kinda boggles my mind that my recorder was working just fine before and after but not while I was in the courthouse? I have no explanation as to y it didn't.

rentamedic

Hahaha, it just kinda boggles my mind that my recorder was working just fine before and after but not while I was in the courthouse? I have no explanation as to y it didn't.

kyglockster seem you more likey to go back there. Plase do this turn on your recorder before you get near the courthouse. and count how far away you are before you get inside. then give the name of the room your about to go into this can tell us if they are useing some kind of signal jammer device / recorder? i say this for when i try and take pics at the car show at the fair grounds for my little girl with say the kids from icarly and i check my phone i have the pics of cars but not with my girl with icarly cast

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
kyglockster seem you more likey to go back there. Plase do this turn on your recorder before you get near the courthouse. and count how far away you are before you get inside. then give the name of the room your about to go into this can tell us if they are useing some kind of signal jammer device / recorder? i say this for when i try and take pics at the car show at the fair grounds for my little girl with say the kids from icarly and i check my phone i have the pics of cars but not with my girl with icarly cast

I would find it a bit out there if there were any jambing technology utilized that would prevent a digital recorder from working or causing the sound to be masked. If that were the case, it would be a major exposé.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
boy its amazing how you can say something jokingly on here and it get taken all out of context. I tried searching for deeds at pva after i spoke with the county judge and county attorneys office but they were closed. I went back to the library, and tried speaking with the windsor room staff that does local history and such, and nobody could tell me who actually owns the library. All i got was that it was once owned by the ashland independent school board, and that it was given to the city back in '35 i believe he said, and that they were unaware of the actual owners. They did do a search on the pva website for me, and still we could find nothing of who owns either building, so i am going to go to pva when i get a chance and get copies of deeds. The reason i am so bent on the library is because i pointed there sign out to an employee when i was checking out one day and he stated that no deadly weapons are allowed in the library whatsoever. I just simply left it at that, and I have been doing research ever since to try and see who actually owns this building. I have not tried openly carrying in there since i asked the employee, because i really dont wanna lose my library privilages, which the sign states.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
also.... if the health dept. is owned by the state, would they be owned by the finance and administrative cabinent? or another agency> im having trouble finding nething.

CharleyCherokee

I received a letter form the City Manager regarding the incident with the police chief. It reads as follows:

Dear Mr. Pulley:

I am in receipt of your recent letter of complaint regarding conduct of Police Chief James Berry on May 24, 2011.

My belief is that attendees of a meeting of the Paducah City Commission have the right to feel safe, and as such, the carrying of firearms should be limited to sworn police officers. I am sure that you can appreciate the apprehension that has been created due to occurrences such as the School Board shooting in Florida last December.

I have directed the City Attorney to prepare an Ordinance banning the carrying of firearms in the Commission Chambers, which I plan to bring forward for Commission consideration on June 14.

Sincerely,
Jeff Pederson
City Manager

CharleyCherokee

I admit to getting a headache reading the Kentucky statues and Attorney General opinions regarding municipal buildings and local ordinances potentially banning carry in such buildings.
http://www.lcav.org/states/local_regulatory_authority.asp

What is the bottom line here - can localities ban carry in public buildings/areas like council chambers?

They can ban the carry of concealed weapons into the City Hall by an ordinance. The carry of concealed weapons into a Commission meeting is already banned per KRS. They have no authority to pass an ordinance other than to ban the carry of concealed weapons in buildings owned by them that aren't considered residential in nature. That, however, doesn't mean that they won't try. The uphill battle begins.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I admit to getting a headache reading the Kentucky statues and Attorney General opinions regarding municipal buildings and local ordinances potentially banning carry in such buildings.
http://www.lcav.org/states/local_regulatory_authority.asp

What is the bottom line here - can localities ban carry in public buildings/areas like council chambers?

They can ban the carry of concealed weapons into the City Hall by an ordinance. The carry of concealed weapons into a Commission meeting is already banned per KRS. They have no authority to pass an ordinance other than to ban the carry of concealed weapons in buildings owned by them that aren't considered residential in nature. That, however, doesn't mean that they won't try. The uphill battle begins.

OC in those areas?