• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislators that do not support constitutional carry BUT that do support Pemit carry.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Hi Bronson,

I have forwarded your email to your State Representative, Rep. Chad Weininger so he knows your viewpoints, since you no longer reside in my district.

As you know, I have long been a supporter of allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin . I believe that Wisconsin ’s citizens have a right to lawfully protect themselves and their families. I have voted in support of a concealed carry bill in the past only to have it vetoed by Governor Doyle. Consequently, Wisconsin is just one of two states that do not currently allow some form of concealed carry.

Recently, two bills were introduced for consideration on this subject. One would require a background check and a license issued by the Department of Justice in order to carry a concealed weapon. You wrote to me in support of the second proposal that does not require a license to carry a concealed weapon which some people refer to as “constitutional carry.”

I have chosen to co-sponsor the bill that would require a license to carry a concealed weapon. The advantage to requiring a license to carry a concealed weapon is that it would be recognized for use in other states that allow concealed carry of weapons. In comparison, a constitutional carry law would only allow Wisconsin citizens to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin . Wisconsin citizens would not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon in another state unless that person has applied for and received a license in that other state. Keep in mind that Wisconsin law already allows open carry of weapons without a license by anyone who is not legally barred from possessing a weapon. Neither of these two bills makes any changes to our current open carry law. It only addresses situations where individuals seek to carry a weapon that is concealed.

I hope this information has been helpful. Passage of some form of concealed carry law is long overdue, and I’m hopeful that we will be able to put this issue to rest this session.

Rep. Karl Van Roy
90th Assembly District