Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: New Member with some questions.......

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44

    New Member with some questions.......

    Hi guys. Been a lurker for a little while, decided to jump in with 2 feet. Last summer I started to OC and have had no problems, so far. I've read some of the posts from Rich B. and the success he's had in informing/educating all who will listen, including LEO's on OC. I'm aware I could be slapped with a BOP charge and my question is will that charge, or any other illegal charge they may slap you with, hold up in a court of law? Also, recently i've noticed some NRA instructors advertising on CL as offering "CCW" classes. With NRA certified instructors not knowing we're NOT a CCW state, is it any wonder LEO's are confused if OC is legal or not hense the problems OC'ing? I understand this is CT, but why all the pushback from LEO's? Last summer while working in Hartford, I was talking to a Hartford police officer and while discussing this issue he simply told me if he saw me OC'ing id be arrested. In retrospect, I wish I got his name. It seems like there is an education problem here in CT. I notice in other states (thanks YouTube), local gun advocate groups have "Open Carry" clean-ups in parks, downtown areas, picnics, even OC get togethers at local restuants all to designed to educate the people about OC. Maybe something to think about here!!?? Any thoughts?? Good to be onboard.

    VET
    Last edited by USAR-VET; 05-10-2011 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    I'm all down for a community based event. I too have seen the videos on YouTube. New Hampshire and California especially (though, in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, I think they need to have their firearms unloaded, in the holster).

    However, it can be an issue in some towns.

    I think Hartford still has their gun ban in public parks policy. Even though they are safety nets for those that want to commit acts of violence. As a resident there for 30 plus years, I never saw the gangs stop and say "wait, I can't go there, there is a gun ban there!".

    Could be interesting though.

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    I don't have a problem with anyone doing anything law abiding, but I am not sure OC events are as advantageous as people make them out to be.

    I personally believe it is far more effective for people to see every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip.

    I think OC events like trash pickups are too easy for the weak minded to write off as something that has to be done in numbers because otherwise it would be 'dealt with'.

    That is not to say I wouldn't mind showing up with a bunch of like minded people to discuss matters and such and I would most likely be OCing anyway.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Rich, I agree that "every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip" is probably the best way to get people accustomed to OC, but it's just NOT enough. It really isn't. We need to get the people in CT informed about OC. It's the ONLY way to prevent uniformed people from dialing 911 with the dreaded "man with a gun" call. For instantance, if they see the local news reporting about a large group of OC'ers having, lets say an OC dinner at a local resturant, and the following week see a group having an OC picnic, after awhile the word gets out that OC is indeed legal here in CT and this would drastically cut down on the MWAG calls and hence police involvement. We have to step it up a notch. We should have nothing to fear, we're all law abiding citizens doing something that's perfectly legal. The only problem I see with this is, is there enough of us willing to take that first step. Because if there isn't, we're going to continue to have what we have now. And that's just NOT good enough. There is power in numbers. I'll be the first one to commit to doing more in this regard. Anyone else??

    VET
    Last edited by USAR-VET; 05-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    It's the ONLY way to prevent uniformed people from dialing 911 with the dreaded "man with a gun" call.
    I am not sure this is happening right now on any kind of regular basis. Nor am I confident that picking up trash or having dinner together will do anything to make the numbers of incidents (already very tiny) less. I would say getting OC on the radio and in the paper had far more effect than anything else so far.

    We should have nothing to fear, we're all law abiding citizens doing something that's perfectly legal. The only problem I see with this is, is there enough of us willing to take that first step. Because if there isn't, we're going to continue to have what we have now. And that's just NOT good enough. There is power in numbers. I'll be the first one to commit to doing more in this regard. Anyone else??
    I am not opposed to you organizing some events. If possible I would help/support/show up.

    I just don't think we should be expecting miracles out of group OCing. Nor do I think it is an alternative for everyday OCing.

    The big benefit I do see from organizing some group events is getting people who have not OCed before in public to try it and get them comfortable with it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I would say getting OC on the radio and in the paper had far more effect than anything else so far.
    That's probably because we haven't taken the next step.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I am not opposed to you organizing some events. If possible I would help/support/show up.
    Thanks. Now if we can get others onboard......


    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I just don't think we should be expecting miracles out of group OCing. Nor do I think it is an alternative for everyday OCing.
    I don't think anyone is looking for miracles, Nor do I think it will be an alternative for daily OC'ing. We're just looking to educate the public on OC, who i'm sure think it is an illegal activity. I DO NOT have statistics, but i'm pretty sure there are more MWAG calls then you may think, hence the fear for not OC'ing in CT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    The big benefit I do see from organizing some group events is getting people who have not OCed before in public to try it and get them comfortable with it.
    BINGO!! That's what our goal should be. As a side note Rich, I give you HUGE PROPS for OC'ing as it's refreshing to see someone else who's unafraid of possible harrasment or even unwanted attention from LEO's. I still believe many of them just don't know the law pertaining to OC, or like the fact that some of us do. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on this. It would help greatly if there were already a statewide gun organization in place that believes in OC and could help in this regard. Not sure really where to begin, but at the bottom I guess. Groups in other states probably just started with an OC dinner or get together somewhere so maybe we can start there. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has any ideas for a meet and greet.

  7. #7
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    Here's an idea.

    A weekly "coffee" day.

    Move it around the state to a different location (Starbucks is OC friendly...... now thanx to Rich's incident).

    Just a thought.

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    A weekly "coffee" day.
    Extra points if we use that time as a meeting where we offer tips, instruction and other OC information to each other and anyone else interested in showing up.

    In fact, it wouldn't hurt to use the time to build support for an actual organization devoted to helping and defending OCer's here in CT.

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I don't have a problem with anyone doing anything law abiding, but I am not sure OC events are as advantageous as people make them out to be.

    I personally believe it is far more effective for people to see every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip.

    I think OC events like trash pickups are too easy for the weak minded to write off as something that has to be done in numbers because otherwise it would be 'dealt with'.

    That is not to say I wouldn't mind showing up with a bunch of like minded people to discuss matters and such and I would most likely be OCing anyway.
    These activities work out well In Michigan. In 3 short years we have managed to educate almost every major Police department about OC, the state police came out with a legal up-date devoted to open carry and the list goes on and on.

    These get togethers allow like minded people to meet and organize and when the media is called a great chance to get the message out.

    Look at the success in other states and begin there, modify as you seem fit and proper for your state.
    Last edited by Venator; 05-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    These activities work out well In Michigan. In 3 short years we have managed to educate almost every major Police department about OC, the state police came out with a legal up-date devoted to open carry and the list goes on and on.

    These get togethers allow like minded people to meet and organize and when the media is called a great chance to get the message out.

    Look at the success in other states and begin there, modify as you seem fit and proper for your state.
    I would love to be wrong, and I am willing to assist.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Hartford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    112

    Thumbs up I'll be the first one to commit to doing more in this regard. Anyone else??

    Count me in. I'am for this and you got my support. CARRY ON!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Hartford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    112

    Red face A weekly "coffee" day.

    Kix I like this. you guys name the place the day and time ill be there.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Ctclassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Plainfield, CT, ,
    Posts
    172
    Count me in as well, although I'd prefer to participate east of the Hartford area. Sorry, gas prices ya'know. Just as a side note, I've been trying to contact Cheryl at CCDL to run an idea by her for later this summer. It would be huge, as far as OC'g goes. Can't go into details just yet, I want to hear from her first. Stay tuned.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Hartford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    112

    Thumbs up I would love to be wrong, and I am willing to assist.

    when ever you ready Rich B. The sooner the better. lets show CT that we are not gun shy to open carry.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.EastHartford. View Post
    when ever you ready Rich B. The sooner the better. lets show CT that we are not gun shy to open carry.
    I am all for attending and/or helping where I can (if I can), but I don't have much time lately, so someone else needs to set it up.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Hartford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    112

    Thumbs up

    I will .

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    I'm glad to see soo much positive reaction!! I guess the next step would be to find a pro 2nd amendment resturant or coffee shop(ie; Starbucks). I don't do Starbucks to much, well a couple times at the West Hartford one I guess, so location would have to be determined. I'll see if there are any local coffee shops such as Starbucks around my area (E.Windsor) and run the idea by them. If others do the same, i'm sure we can come up with a location. In reading the post from Venator, I think a lot of good can come out of this. Namely, a great chance to get the public more informed on OC and the legality of it through positive media coverage. Kix, I also love the idea of a 'weekly' get together. Works for me! I'll start checking around this weekend.
    Last edited by USAR-VET; 05-13-2011 at 11:52 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    I'll see if there are any local coffee shops such as Starbucks around my area (E.Windsor) and run the idea by them. If others do the same, i'm sure we can come up with a location
    Am I reading this correctly?
    You are going to run the idea by Starbucks first?
    Really?
    Isn't their Corporate policy, "They will abide by State Law" when it comes to open carrying.
    So why would notification be needed?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    Am I reading this correctly?
    You are going to run the idea by Starbucks first?
    Really?
    Isn't their Corporate policy, "They will abide by State Law" when it comes to open carrying.
    So why would notification be needed?

    Because I believe I read somewhere about a guy who was minding his own business while enjoying a cup of coffee, AT A STARBUCKS having a most unpleasant visit from LEO's because of employees who DIDN'T know "corporate policy" Besides, it doesn't have to be Starbucks! It's just a suggestion. Perhaps you have a better suggestion? We're all ears...........
    Last edited by USAR-VET; 05-13-2011 at 11:57 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Extra points if we use that time as a meeting where we offer tips, instruction and other OC information to each other and anyone else interested in showing up.
    EXCELLENT idea Rich!

  21. #21
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    Because I believe I read somewhere about a guy who was minding his own business while enjoying a cup of coffee, AT A STARBUCKS having a most unpleasant visit from LEO's because of employees who DIDN'T know "corporate policy" Besides, it doesn't have to be Starbucks! It's just a suggestion. Perhaps you have a better suggestion? We're all ears...........
    I would think that Starbucks is the perfect place, and because of their corporate policy no notification would be needed.
    If you are looking to bring OC to the public eye than, you would welcome any type of LEO or Media attention at the event.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    If you are looking to bring OC to the public eye than, you would welcome any type of LEO or Media attention at the event.
    That's the point Larry. We need to take OC out of the shaddows, so to speak and make it more 'mainstream'. I OC 99% of the time. I NEVER see anyone else doing it and it makes me think i'm the only one out here(except a few on this board that do). I'll say this again, the WHOLE point of all of this is to educate the public as well as the few LEO's who may not be aware of the fact that we can legally OC, perhaps preventing any 'unpleasant' experences. That's it. Not looking to reinvent the wheel here. Hope this helps.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Hartford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    112

    Unhappy

    Vet i know how you feel. because in east hartford i open carry in cabela's and around my town. and i am the only who do open carry and don't see anyone else? and i know its choice anyway you want to carry. its your right. but would nice to open carry with some more people or someone at least.
    Last edited by Alex.EastHartford.; 05-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    That's the point Larry. We need to take OC out of the shaddows, so to speak and make it more 'mainstream'. I OC 99% of the time. I NEVER see anyone else doing it and it makes me think i'm the only one out here(except a few on this board that do). I'll say this again, the WHOLE point of all of this is to educate the public as well as the few LEO's who may not be aware of the fact that we can legally OC, perhaps preventing any 'unpleasant' experences. That's it. Not looking to reinvent the wheel here. Hope this helps.
    Read this and see how I educated the Police Chief of Stratford.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ford-Town-Hall

    And the name is Lenny

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern CT
    Posts
    44
    Well done "Lenny". Sorry about the name. Guess I know too many 'Larrys', lol. I too have OC in my town hall and got neary a look. The only person to notice was another visitor(saw her leave) and she just looked at me funny after looking at my gun and probably thought I was LE. After leaving there I went to the post office and almost forgot I couldn't carry there. Had to park across the street as I didn't want to take that chance on even leaving it in the car on there property. Still don't get that law but oh well. Alex, I go to Cabelas a lot and still get a funny look by the greeters, lol. Maybe we can meet up there sometime and chat.

    Ken
    Last edited by USAR-VET; 05-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •