• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member with some questions.......

USAR-VET

Hi guys. Been a lurker for a little while, decided to jump in with 2 feet. Last summer I started to OC and have had no problems, so far. I've read some of the posts from Rich B. and the success he's had in informing/educating all who will listen, including LEO's on OC. I'm aware I could be slapped with a BOP charge and my question is will that charge, or any other illegal charge they may slap you with, hold up in a court of law? Also, recently i've noticed some NRA instructors advertising on CL as offering "CCW" classes. With NRA certified instructors not knowing we're NOT a CCW state, is it any wonder LEO's are confused if OC is legal or not hense the problems OC'ing? I understand this is CT, but why all the pushback from LEO's? Last summer while working in Hartford, I was talking to a Hartford police officer and while discussing this issue he simply told me if he saw me OC'ing id be arrested. In retrospect, I wish I got his name. It seems like there is an education problem here in CT. I notice in other states (thanks YouTube), local gun advocate groups have "Open Carry" clean-ups in parks, downtown areas, picnics, even OC get togethers at local restuants all to designed to educate the people about OC. Maybe something to think about here!!?? Any thoughts?? Good to be onboard.

VET

Last edited:

KIX

I'm all down for a community based event. I too have seen the videos on YouTube. New Hampshire and California especially (though, in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, I think they need to have their firearms unloaded, in the holster).

However, it can be an issue in some towns.

I think Hartford still has their gun ban in public parks policy. Even though they are safety nets for those that want to commit acts of violence. As a resident there for 30 plus years, I never saw the gangs stop and say "wait, I can't go there, there is a gun ban there!".

Could be interesting though.

Jonathan

Rich B

I don't have a problem with anyone doing anything law abiding, but I am not sure OC events are as advantageous as people make them out to be.

I personally believe it is far more effective for people to see every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip.

I think OC events like trash pickups are too easy for the weak minded to write off as something that has to be done in numbers because otherwise it would be 'dealt with'.

That is not to say I wouldn't mind showing up with a bunch of like minded people to discuss matters and such and I would most likely be OCing anyway.

USAR-VET

Rich, I agree that "every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip" is probably the best way to get people accustomed to OC, but it's just NOT enough. It really isn't. We need to get the people in CT informed about OC. It's the ONLY way to prevent uniformed people from dialing 911 with the dreaded "man with a gun" call. For instantance, if they see the local news reporting about a large group of OC'ers having, lets say an OC dinner at a local resturant, and the following week see a group having an OC picnic, after awhile the word gets out that OC is indeed legal here in CT and this would drastically cut down on the MWAG calls and hence police involvement. We have to step it up a notch. We should have nothing to fear, we're all law abiding citizens doing something that's perfectly legal. The only problem I see with this is, is there enough of us willing to take that first step. Because if there isn't, we're going to continue to have what we have now. And that's just NOT good enough. There is power in numbers. I'll be the first one to commit to doing more in this regard. Anyone else??

VET

Last edited:

Rich B

It's the ONLY way to prevent uniformed people from dialing 911 with the dreaded "man with a gun" call.

I am not sure this is happening right now on any kind of regular basis. Nor am I confident that picking up trash or having dinner together will do anything to make the numbers of incidents (already very tiny) less. I would say getting OC on the radio and in the paper had far more effect than anything else so far.

We should have nothing to fear, we're all law abiding citizens doing something that's perfectly legal. The only problem I see with this is, is there enough of us willing to take that first step. Because if there isn't, we're going to continue to have what we have now. And that's just NOT good enough. There is power in numbers. I'll be the first one to commit to doing more in this regard. Anyone else??

I am not opposed to you organizing some events. If possible I would help/support/show up.

I just don't think we should be expecting miracles out of group OCing. Nor do I think it is an alternative for everyday OCing.

The big benefit I do see from organizing some group events is getting people who have not OCed before in public to try it and get them comfortable with it.

USAR-VET

I would say getting OC on the radio and in the paper had far more effect than anything else so far.

That's probably because we haven't taken the next step.

I am not opposed to you organizing some events. If possible I would help/support/show up.

Thanks. Now if we can get others onboard......

I just don't think we should be expecting miracles out of group OCing. Nor do I think it is an alternative for everyday OCing.

I don't think anyone is looking for miracles, Nor do I think it will be an alternative for daily OC'ing. We're just looking to educate the public on OC, who i'm sure think it is an illegal activity. I DO NOT have statistics, but i'm pretty sure there are more MWAG calls then you may think, hence the fear for not OC'ing in CT.

The big benefit I do see from organizing some group events is getting people who have not OCed before in public to try it and get them comfortable with it.

BINGO!! That's what our goal should be. As a side note Rich, I give you HUGE PROPS for OC'ing as it's refreshing to see someone else who's unafraid of possible harrasment or even unwanted attention from LEO's. I still believe many of them just don't know the law pertaining to OC, or like the fact that some of us do. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on this. It would help greatly if there were already a statewide gun organization in place that believes in OC and could help in this regard. Not sure really where to begin, but at the bottom I guess. Groups in other states probably just started with an OC dinner or get together somewhere so maybe we can start there. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has any ideas for a meet and greet. :idea:

KIX

Here's an idea.

A weekly "coffee" day.

Move it around the state to a different location (Starbucks is OC friendly...... now thanx to Rich's incident).

Just a thought.

Jonathan

Rich B

A weekly "coffee" day.

Extra points if we use that time as a meeting where we offer tips, instruction and other OC information to each other and anyone else interested in showing up.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to use the time to build support for an actual organization devoted to helping and defending OCer's here in CT.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I don't have a problem with anyone doing anything law abiding, but I am not sure OC events are as advantageous as people make them out to be.

I personally believe it is far more effective for people to see every day people doing every day things with a firearm on their hip.

I think OC events like trash pickups are too easy for the weak minded to write off as something that has to be done in numbers because otherwise it would be 'dealt with'.

That is not to say I wouldn't mind showing up with a bunch of like minded people to discuss matters and such and I would most likely be OCing anyway.

These activities work out well In Michigan. In 3 short years we have managed to educate almost every major Police department about OC, the state police came out with a legal up-date devoted to open carry and the list goes on and on.

These get togethers allow like minded people to meet and organize and when the media is called a great chance to get the message out.

Look at the success in other states and begin there, modify as you seem fit and proper for your state.

Last edited:

Rich B

These activities work out well In Michigan. In 3 short years we have managed to educate almost every major Police department about OC, the state police came out with a legal up-date devoted to open carry and the list goes on and on.

These get togethers allow like minded people to meet and organize and when the media is called a great chance to get the message out.

Look at the success in other states and begin there, modify as you seem fit and proper for your state.

I would love to be wrong, and I am willing to assist.

Ctclassic

Count me in as well, although I'd prefer to participate east of the Hartford area. Sorry, gas prices ya'know. Just as a side note, I've been trying to contact Cheryl at CCDL to run an idea by her for later this summer. It would be huge, as far as OC'g goes. Can't go into details just yet, I want to hear from her first. Stay tuned.

USAR-VET

I'm glad to see soo much positive reaction!! I guess the next step would be to find a pro 2nd amendment resturant or coffee shop(ie; Starbucks). I don't do Starbucks to much, well a couple times at the West Hartford one I guess, so location would have to be determined. I'll see if there are any local coffee shops such as Starbucks around my area (E.Windsor) and run the idea by them. If others do the same, i'm sure we can come up with a location. In reading the post from Venator, I think a lot of good can come out of this. Namely, a great chance to get the public more informed on OC and the legality of it through positive media coverage. Kix, I also love the idea of a 'weekly' get together. Works for me! I'll start checking around this weekend.

Last edited:

Lenny Benedetto

I'll see if there are any local coffee shops such as Starbucks around my area (E.Windsor) and run the idea by them. If others do the same, i'm sure we can come up with a location

Am I reading this correctly?
You are going to run the idea by Starbucks first?
Really?
Isn't their Corporate policy, "They will abide by State Law" when it comes to open carrying.
So why would notification be needed?

USAR-VET

Am I reading this correctly?
You are going to run the idea by Starbucks first?
Really?
Isn't their Corporate policy, "They will abide by State Law" when it comes to open carrying.
So why would notification be needed?

Because I believe I read somewhere about a guy who was minding his own business while enjoying a cup of coffee, AT A STARBUCKS having a most unpleasant visit from LEO's because of employees who DIDN'T know "corporate policy" :confused: Besides, it doesn't have to be Starbucks! It's just a suggestion. Perhaps you have a better suggestion? We're all ears...........

Last edited: